I am so confused on what type of antenna I need.

groze

Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
My zipcode is 47362. Large trees are on the west side of my house and there is no clear view of the south/south west.

I did the antenna web thing. It said a need a medium directional antenna. I am about 50 miles away from Indianapolis.

There are stations that are Northwest, west, southwest that I would like to receive. Ch 4,6,8,13, 20, 23, 29,40,49,59,63 Ch 4 will be decreasing power but increasing ch 29 power after the change over. Ch4 and Ch29 are the same station. Ch13 digital channel will be moving back to Vhf after the change. Ch 8 will remain in the VHF band after the change.

What is odd. I get channel 6.1 (Wrtv 6 digital channel) comes in clear with just a cheap rca uhf/vhf antenna. Very few pixelation problems.

The problem is we want to get all the channels in at the same time for both recording and watching two different stations at a time. The stations may be in different directions. Ch 4 can go just as long as I can get ch 29.

I heard the Channel Master 4228 does work for long distance but the channel Master 4221 works better through trees. The channel master 4228 does get the upper vhf band because of a quirk in the design. The 4221 does have a wider area but does not get the upper vhf without modification.

It comes down to this I need a VHF/UHF antenna that has half of a circle range at long distance that will not cause pixelation and will go through trees.

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Wow! you actually have signals that you want coming in from FOUR different directions. Most of the channels will be coming in from due west or ~271 degrees. Channel 49 WIPB PBS is coming in from due North or ~6 degrees. Channel 23 WNDY MyN is coming in from west north west or ~303 degrees. And Channel 4 WTTV CW and Channel 63 WIPX ION from the southwest or ~232 degrees.

OK this is going to take a little experimenting on your part. First off I would buy something a little larger than the recommended antenna to make up for trees and your other obstructions. I tend to favor the Winegard HD 769 series. These are new antennas that cover channels 7-69 very nicely. I'm thinking maybe a HD 7695P (Red Zone) or a HD 7696 (Blue zone). Install facing due west. You might get lucky and pick up 23, 4 and 63 off to the sides. You may want to turn the antenna a little to the southwest if 4 and 63 give you trouble. Channel 23 is one of the stronger signals in your area. Your biggest problem, as I see it is with 49 due north of you. But maybe not. That station is only 11 miles away and the signal is very strong. You may have to install a small inexpensive UHF only antenna like a Winegard PR-9012 or similar to receive PBS. You can combine the two antenna signals together and run them down a single coax to your TV.

I hope this helps. You have a challenging but very doable application. Let us know if we can help any further.

Attachments

• 47362.png
    47362.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 239
Wow! you actually have signals that you want coming in from FOUR different directions. Most of the channels will be coming in from due west or ~271 degrees. Channel 49 WIPB PBS is coming in from due North or ~6 degrees. Channel 23 WNDY MyN is coming in from west north west or ~303 degrees. And Channel 4 WTTV CW and Channel 63 WIPX ION from the southwest or ~232 degrees.

OK this is going to take a little experimenting on your part. First off I would buy something a little larger than the recommended antenna to make up for trees and your other obstructions. I tend to favor the Winegard HD 769 series. These are new antennas that cover channels 7-69 very nicely. I'm thinking maybe a HD 7695P (Red Zone) or a HD 7696 (Blue zone). Install facing due west. You might get lucky and pick up 23, 4 and 63 off to the sides. You may want to turn the antenna a little to the southwest if 4 and 63 give you trouble. Channel 23 is one of the stronger signals in your area. Your biggest problem, as I see it is with 49 due north of you. But maybe not. That station is only 11 miles away and the signal is very strong. You may have to install a small inexpensive UHF only antenna like a Winegard PR-9012 or similar to receive PBS. You can combine the two antenna signals together and run them down a single coax to your TV.

I hope this helps. You have a challenging but very doable application. Let us know if we can help any further.

Thank you. :)

I was thinking of getting rid of limited basic cable, the price keeps going up and they keep removing channels. I would try directtv family package but I do not know if I could get it because of the trees.

As far as channel 49. If tvfool is correct 49.1 will be more Northwest after that change.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you didn't put the reflector on or removed it? (I didn't look at those models yet, so I do not know if they have a reflector on them).

If I could get the Ft Wayne stations. I would only have to get a uhf antenna but then channel 49.1 would come into to strong.

Groze,
My response to your question would be. Do you have access to the attic? Would you consider building you own antennas or just buy? Do you like to experiment? If so you can inexpensively build 3 or 4 antennas, each with its own coax-pointing in the directions of the towers you want to receive. I made my own and it works well at 40+miles. I would recommend starting with one antenna and then expanding. Lumenlab forums has lots of info concerning home built HD antennas.
Tom

If I were you I'd put up a channel 7-69 antenna and aim it at about 267 degrees. That would get 8 stations reliably without a rotor or combining. If you misaimed it slightly to the north you'd add WNDY and perhaps WLFI, slightly to the south would pull in WTTV, WCLJ, and WIPX.

Once that is working then start playing with reception from other areas. That could be a second antenna with a rotor and A/B switch, or several fixed antennas with Jointennas.

Actually I got to figuring. It may be best to get a UHF antenna or make one. I would need two. One facing southwest, and another facing northwest. Then a Vhf antenna facing west. I may try small antenna and work my way up first. Winegard 1080. The reason I think of this, is because what tv fool said. Most except for 3 stations will be to the west. Another reason with a smaller rca ant111, I can get ch 6.1 (uhf 25) and 23 (uhf 32)

Actually I got to figuring. It may be best to get a UHF antenna or make one. I would need two. One facing southwest, and another facing northwest. Then a Vhf antenna facing west. I may try small antenna and work my way up first. Winegard 1080. The reason I think of this, is because what tv fool said. Most except for 3 stations will be to the west. Another reason with a smaller rca ant111, I can get ch 6.1 (uhf 25) and 23 (uhf 32)

Well you can do whatever you want but.... If you follow the advice I gave above those antennas have an average beam width of 41 degrees. If you point the antenna due west there is a 31 degrees variance to your northwest target and 39 degrees to the southwest target. It could work to get all three directions at once.

If you do decide to take your own path I'd recommend looking at something other than the Winegard 1080. I read somewhere that its performance is not all that great.

Keep us updated on your progress.

That Winegard 1080 thing is truly for those at or about 15 - 25 miles away from the towers and almost in a straight line. I would not recommend it. TRG has the best idea.

What do you thing of this method? Antennas Direct XG91 UHF and Winegard YA-1713 VHF

If I do this method, what size mast and if need what size tripod?

I am basing it on this one guy experience. He is shooting through trees and down in valley. The only difference is that I down in the valley but up on a hill. My house is on the hill. It is about the same distance that I am from Indianapolis and Dayton, Oh.

home.indy.rr. com /challengerul/antenna.html

Originally Posted by TRG
Wow! you actually have signals that you want coming in from FOUR different directions.

Holy OTA jackpot Batman

That has changed a little. I studied tv fool website direction.

It is now three directions. The two station I think, I will have trouble getting in.
Whmb 40.1 (16) and Wipx 63.1 (27)

I think wipb tv 49.1 (23) will come in very strong so keep the antenna to west will not be a problem.

If look at tv fool website, and had a super antenna (Dxing) I could receive signal from all directions.

I just noticed a conflict. I may have to contact both stations about this.

After the change according to tv fool website
Wipb tv real channel is 23, Wipb tv virtual channel is 49.1

However,
Wndy real channel is 32, Wndy virtual channel is 23.1

This could cause some problems, not everybody can disable the virtual channel.

I just noticed a conflict. I may have to contact both stations about this.

After the change according to tv fool website
Wipb tv real channel is 23, Wipb tv virtual channel is 49.1

However,
Wndy real channel is 32, Wndy virtual channel is 23.1

This could cause some problems, not everybody can disable the virtual channel.
You only need to be concerned with the "real" channel numbers. The virtual channel number is just the number displayed by the digital tuner. You're good to go; no conflicts.

As far as using 91XG & YA-1713, you should be able to pick up eveything down to WLFI-DT(CBS); unless your TV FOOL profile differs from what your zip code indicates. Put both antennas on a 5 foot Radio Shack mast above the rotor. About 25-30 feet off the ground with no more than 100 feet of RG-6 cable; and you should be good to go.

If you can post your exact address TV FOOL profile; a better overall assessment will be possible.

** I agree with the comments about the Winegard 1080. My neighbor put one up(40 feet AGL) and it barely picks up VHF-8 @ only 6 miles out. It's not very impressive on UHF either. A decent pair of rabbit ears would easily outdo it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts