I am sure this has been answered before

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chinatown

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Wisconsin
The VIP series from Dish has 2 tuners, just like the HR 24 from Direct. Right?

Ok, with the Vip I can watch 1 program on one tv & a different program on another tv.

Shouldn't I be able to do the same with the HR 24. If so, is there a special wiring technique the the installer has to make.

Thanking all of you in advnace.

The VIP series from Dish has 2 tuners, just like the HR 24 from Direct. Right?

Ok, with the Vip I can watch 1 program on one tv & a different program on another tv.

Shouldn't I be able to do the same with the HR 24. If so, is there a special wiring technique the the installer has to make.

Thanking all of you in advnace.

Nope, two entirely different animals,
All D* recvrs have 2 tuners in them, that way you can record something and watch something else....

Not really. The HR24 will stream anything off the DVR hard drive to another HD Receiver (DVR or non-DVR) if you sign up for Multi-Room Viewing.

So Dish feeds standard definition out the "TV2" interface onto an RF channel, while DirecTV has a model of receivers on every TV but the advantage is you can watch any program in HD on any MRV-capable HD receiver.

Not really. The HR24 will stream anything off the DVR hard drive to another HD Receiver (DVR or non-DVR) if you sign up for Multi-Room Viewing.

So Dish feeds standard definition out the "TV2" interface onto an RF channel, while DirecTV has a model of receivers on every TV but the advantage is you can watch any program in HD on any MRV-capable HD receiver.

It's true that you would currently need another compatible Directv Receiver or DVR to stream to another TV. But when comparing the two sat providers' 2nd stream capabilities, Dish comes up short for more than one reason, IMO. I used the VIP 722 to share the DVR between two bedrooms but that DVR was being shared with a teen watching age appropriate content with all repeats. I could not use that DVR in the Dual mode, so second tuner/buffer capability was lost as well as the ability to record two of my shows simultaneously. TV1 is limited to IR remote control mode and the tuner 2 is dedicated to user 2. If I tried to share the DVR in dual mode, the teen repeats would utilize both tuners to record repeats 24/7. This created frequent record conflicts and frequently left me with no tuner to watch.

With Directv, there is no additional DVR service fee for multiple DVRs. For example, I have three DVRs: one DVR Service fee and two lease fees (primary DVR lease fee is credited back to account; DVR and receiver lease fees are the same). Dish makes you pay additional DVR service fees for each additional DVR; almost as bad as cable fees. So it made sense to me to switch back to Directv and get a DVR for each room. The additional MRV fee of $3 is not so bad when making the actual comparisons. I say you get more tuners and HD capability for that second stream with Directv if you opt for the second DVR lease rather than sharing one DVR with two rooms. Opting for additional DVRs with Directv (with regards to fees) is no different than adding an additional non-DVR Receiver after the initial upgrade cost.

For the umpteenth time....

Dish only charges one DVR fee per account no matter how many DVR's you have $6. Been that way for 5 months now.

That being said.... I do enjoy the MRV feature of D*.

S~

Dish only charges one DVR fee per account no matter how many DVR's you have $6. Been that way for 5 months now.

S~

But they charge extra for EACH RECVR p/m now ....

IF D* ever does that we'll all be screwed.

Another dumb question

I plan on mounting a sd receiver with Industrial velcro to a 15" sd tv. It is used in the kitchen and will also be moved to my patio which is wired.

Ok, when it is moved, and then reconnected, will there be any adverse affect.

I mean will it come right on, or will there be a delay of sorts.

Thanking you in advance.

S~

But they charge extra for EACH RECVR p/m now ....

IF D* ever does that we'll all be screwed.

Sorry, my mistake. I know it was expensive to have multiple DVRs with Dish in the past.

It's nice to see that both sat companies are dropping excessive fees like multiple DVR service fees and HD Access. I think eventually, Directv's HD access fee will go away permanently. At least I got my mine dropped for 24 months.

However they do charge $17 for any additional 622/722 and now charge AEP subs the DVR fee. Bill went up $16 per month. That's one reason why I left after 12 years.

S~

Don't they also charge when you send receivers back after you cancel their service?
They charge you $15 if you use the pre-paid UPS label included with the boxing kit they send out. Otherwise you can ship them at your own expense using whatever carrier you wish.

It takes about 5 minutes or so to completely reboot. Just did it with my R22 and it was a minute or so longer because of a DVR

However they do charge $17 for any additional 622/722 and now charge AEP subs the DVR fee. Bill went up $16 per month. That's one reason why I left after 12 years.

S~

This is what I was trying top point out, but didn't know which recvrs were which price point.

It takes about 5 minutes or so to completely reboot. Just did it with my R22 and it was a minute or so longer because of a DVR

I think a long time ago I timed the reboots, the HD DVRs were like 7 minutes and the non DVR's were like 4-5.

When you do the CE stuff it takes even longer !

However, I have found that the new HR24's boot up much faster than the older ones, much faster processor I'm sure has something to do with it.

Nope, two entirely different animals,
All D* recvrs have 2 tuners in them, that way you can record something and watch something else....

I'm a soon-to-be D* cust (July 12th install) after being w/ E* for 10 years.

The way I am understanding the MRV capabilities is that once a show is recorded it will be viewable in any other room w/ a HD receiver. I'm wondering if those HD rooms can view programs currently being recorded by the main box or must you wait until the recording is complete?

On a side note, since I found answers to most of my D* concerns within the first page of this forum alone, without the need of searching farther back in time, I'll be getting my pub membership tomorrow since I'll be coming here now for both nostalgic dish info and relevant Direct info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)