Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am surprised...

DISH Network held a press conference on Friday and spent a long long time informing the press about the new XiP series receivers. And NO ONE... not even other satellite sites have reported on it.

Just shows what geeks we are here at SatelliteGuys. :D

Yeah it's funny there's even a thread here asking why DISH can't be faster about it, haha.

Not to be a smart aleck, but it is probably because the receivers are not revolutionary as far as the industry is concerned. They merely allow Dish to offer features that have been available from DirecTV and U-Verse for a while now. If it were something more market-leading it would probably draw more attention.

That's because we DISH subs are the only ones happy about them. I've seen the Evening Bridge and the Morning Bridge both talk about the 813 receiver in it's headlines going back to last week ,when this site reported it. Day later but they did report it. The idea isn't that revolutionary since ATT/Uverse has already got it and so does Directv.

Well, yes and no. DirecTV does have MRV, which limits you to watching on one remote receiver per DVR. While that is a very good step in the right direction, it isn't as slick as some would have you believe.

If I'm reading it right, if I had the 813 and had a bunch of recordings on it, I could watch them on as many of the remote receivers as I had installed, all with full trick play. That makes it a bigger step in the right direction, imo... :)

Well, yes and no. DirecTV does have MRV, which limits you to watching on one remote receiver per DVR. While that is a very good step in the right direction, it isn't as slick as some would have you believe.

If I'm reading it right, if I had the 813 and had a bunch of recordings on it, I could watch them on as many of the remote receivers as I had installed, all with full trick play. That makes it a bigger step in the right direction, imo... :)

But to the general public, MRV is the same, no matter which company it comes from. Only satguys here know the difference in the concept between the three companies: Directv/Att-Uverse/DISH.

But to the general public, MRV is the same, no matter which company it comes from. Only satguys here know the difference in the concept between the three companies: Directv/Att-Uverse/DISH.

Which is a job for marketing guys to do something about. I suppose since it isn't coming real soon that they don't want to tax the brains of the marketing types too soon... :)

Cox has a whole home dvr now in a lot of markets using the new Cisco 8642 boxes and 1642 clients. I think you can have up to 5 clients that can independently access the main the drive and have full functionality from each location. I have been looking at it here in Tulsa. It has been available since January 1.

Cox has a whole home dvr now in a lot of markets using the new Cisco 8642 boxes and 1642 clients. I think you can have up to 5 clients that can independently access the main the drive and have full functionality from each location. I have been looking at it here in Tulsa. It has been available since January 1.

Sounds cool, but I could never go back to cable after having satellite for over 14 years now with DISH. I imagine you could have more streams with the 813 if you added two 813's to your install. Then you could have 6 sat tuners and as many ota tuners as you could add to the 110 boxes. But I could never imagine how you would install all that in one house to 4 hd tvs.

Yep, that is why I am still with Dish. Had both Directv and Dish for several years when they first came out and then went with Dish totally when the Dishplayers came out. I have checked the Cox system out and it is still not ready for prime time in my opinion. It would be a large step down from my rock solid 722 and 211's. I will wait for the XiP's to roll out. All I would gain with Cox would be EspnU HD and the multiroom HD dvr functions. But there are many more things I would give up in functionality

Yes, there are many pluses to the competition ,but over all DISH is still the lowest programming pack leader, and has cutting edge concept receivers. About the only thing cable and DISH both have in common these days, are the cable-like, just because we can charge for it , monthly FEES. I sometimes think DISH is trying to out cable ,the Cable industry.

We need a bet thread on when they will be released. Then when it
Finally gets released, we can see who was the closest. I'm going to say May 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Lets see .... the sling extender was promised for release last July and we are still waiting on that one . So sometime next summer for the Xip 813 dvr.

I actually "tipped" the story to EngadgetHD and referenced the SatGuys thread, but they hadn't published the story as of last night. Sorry Scott! Tried to send a few new unique visitors down your way but it didn't work! Strangely enough, they did pick up on your free sling thread... Just nothing about the XiP's...

Was the Sling Extender actually promised a release date? I don't remember ever hearing it. All I remember them saying is hopefully by the end of the year.

Was the Sling Extender actually promised a release date? I don't remember ever hearing it. All I remember them saying is hopefully by the end of the year.

It was supposed to come out last July /Summer . Then it was 1st quarter of 2011 and now we are in second quarter soon to end by the end of June . So Maybe by JULY of this year. Scott said it already works with the 922 and the interface is the same as the 922. The only hold up was the software to make it work with the 722/722k, so the interface resembles the menus and guide of those receivers. Supposedly coming SOOONNN!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts