I can only get 101. What are my HD options?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Finko

Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
I live on the second floor of a 3 floor apartment complex, and my deck happens to be in a courtyard. The line of site that I have is very very limited. I'm surprised I can even pick up satelite 101. The landlord won't allow me to put it on the roof, and my local cable company doesn't offer HD service to this building.

Couple questions:

If I can't recieve satelite 119 and 110, shouldn't I be missing a lot of channels? I seem to have all the programming that I should, including local channels.

I have a HD set, but I'm not sure what type of HD programming I could pick up from 101, if any at all?

Is there a listing somewhere that outlines what services are fed from each satelite?

According to Lyngsat this is what's on 110 & 119.
110 - Showtime HD, ESPN-HD, HDNet Movies, 3 NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels
119 - lots of local channels, HBO-HD, Bravo HD, HDNet, 1 NFL Sunday Ticket HD channel, HD PPV, lots of foreign language programming

Everything else is on 101. This includes CBS-HD, NBC-HD, and more HD football.

You can read all the specifics at Lyngsat.com

The short version is that you need the other two slots for most HD and non-English programming. Sorry.

To CYA you REALLY need the 3 LNB dish since D* tends to move things around from time to time, so a channel you might get today you won't get tomorrow.

I live in an apartment as well, and I don't get the 119 either, which has not been a big deal since in my area (according to the lyngsat data, and reflected in reality) all of the programming is on the 101 and 110, which I get just fine. What I don't get are the HBO HD and HBO Latino along with a bunch of international channels which I'm not too worried about and possibly the HD stuff which I am not at the moment equipped to receive.

Having seen big screen HDTV however, and with HDTV's becoming cheaper there will be a time when I'll want to go with HD programming. In my case all I need to do is elevate the dish a few feet more to clear the trees which are currently blocking the 119, and all will be well. I'll probably do that in the spring (or just before the wife "authorizes" the purchase of an HDTV set with accompanying receivers ;) ).

Can you elevate your dish just a little bit maybe? That might allow LOS to the 119. I've also noticed that my receiver seems to have gotten an upgrade with which I can now test the signal on each of the LNB horns, rather than checking signal on 101, then 110/119. The 110/119 has been split out into separate signal meters.

Thanks everyone.

I've been looking at the lynsat data for the 101 satelite.

I see a couple entries of interest.

70 -NFL CBS HD Channel

71 -NFL Fox HD Channel

Are these really HD channels?

If so:
What city would the games be broadcasted from? Obviously FOX covers more than one game at a time.

Do I have to pay extra for CBS-HD or NBC-HD? Or are these free HD services as long as I have the HD converter? I don't see them listed in Directv's HD package.

Someone mentioned above that CBS and NBC HD were available on the 101. I don't see that on the lyngsat data. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any assistance :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)