I Canceled DirecTV install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
With the recent comments by Rupert Murdock regarding the possible future changes in Tivo functionality I became wary of my move to DirecTV. Yet their DVR functionality kept me drawn.

Yet I ran into some red flags with Dish1Up that I just couldn't live with.

#1 - I called them to order, I was told system took a while to come up to answer some of my questions, they would call me back. They never did.

#2 - I called them and they had some of my info already. So I just continued, sounded good, sign me up. Per their website :http://www.dish1up.com/directv/programing/programming.html and their radio adds, 4 rooms, free equipment. Turns out it's free receivers and dish, but not a free 8way switch to use the DirecTivo. So I suck it down and take it. I choose Friday the 12th and they tell me I have to be present during the install. They tell me someone will call from scheduling to confirm the day and set a time.

#3 - No one called from Dish1Up to discuss the date or the time. I finally called them on the 11th to find out what was up. They seemed suprised that the person I ordered the service from didn't tell me it was scheduled for between 1pm and 5pm.

#4 - I take the day off and am ready to be installed. I clean out the storage area so we can get to where the current Dish cables enter the house in case some change is necessary. I get a phone call at 10am. They need to reschedule because their 8 way switches didn't come in and want to reschedule for the 16th.

Now I know this kind of thing happens often. But with the experience I had in my situation with Dish1Up, I just determined that my time is worth more than the cost that this change would end up costing me.

I tried to explain to Dish1up where they failed with me, but they didn't seem interested, too busy taking other orders.

I'm not happy that I can't get what I want with Dish, but I was less pleased with the attemt to switch.

Mike_H said:
With the recent comments by Rupert Murdock regarding the possible future changes in Tivo functionality I became wary of my move to DirecTV. Yet their DVR functionality kept me drawn.

Yet I ran into some red flags with Dish1Up that I just couldn't live with.

#1 - I called them to order, I was told system took a while to come up to answer some of my questions, they would call me back. They never did.

#2 - I called them and they had some of my info already. So I just continued, sounded good, sign me up. Per their website :http://www.dish1up.com/directv/programing/programming.html and their radio adds, 4 rooms, free equipment. Turns out it's free receivers and dish, but not a free 8way switch to use the DirecTivo. So I suck it down and take it. I choose Friday the 12th and they tell me I have to be present during the install. They tell me someone will call from scheduling to confirm the day and set a time.

#3 - No one called from Dish1Up to discuss the date or the time. I finally called them on the 11th to find out what was up. They seemed suprised that the person I ordered the service from didn't tell me it was scheduled for between 1pm and 5pm.

#4 - I take the day off and am ready to be installed. I clean out the storage area so we can get to where the current Dish cables enter the house in case some change is necessary. I get a phone call at 10am. They need to reschedule because their 8 way switches didn't come in and want to reschedule for the 16th.

Now I know this kind of thing happens often. But with the experience I had in my situation with Dish1Up, I just determined that my time is worth more than the cost that this change would end up costing me.

I tried to explain to Dish1up where they failed with me, but they didn't seem interested, too busy taking other orders.

I'm not happy that I can't get what I want with Dish, but I was less pleased with the attemt to switch.

A. Where did you see these comments? As a possible switcher myself, I'd be interested to read them. (I personally can't stand that funkstick Murdoch, but I've been keeping my personal feelings out of this decision.)

B. Why don't you just call DirecTV directly, instead of going through a retailer? A couple of people have commented that they got the $99 Tivo upgrade fee waived, when telling the rep about the high cost of cancelling Dish to switch to DirecTV. Even if you have to pay the $99, it's still a good deal for all that gear. (You get the triple LNB, and I don't believe they charge you for the switch either.)

#1 - My time is money. I already allocated a day to this conversion. It didn't happen and I need to move on. The difference between the two is not so great that I can't accept defeat on this attempt and just move along. Echostar better shape up though.

#2 - Chase Carey, president and CEO of Hughes Electronics and its DirecTV unit, told TelevisionWeek "News Corp. and Fox are striving to cushion their energetic embrace of personal video recorder technology in DirecTV's set-top boxes with limitations and standards that do not overly threaten the advertising revenue that is key to Fox's TV stations and broadcast network. They will include elimination of the 30-second skip button and place limits on the time allowed to download and store programs. "

http://www.tvweek.com/topstorys/030104stationsfee.html

Are you a current dish customer? I f you are then you should call them directly to see what options they are offering to existing customers.If you are not under a commitment then they will give you special deals on upgrading your equipment.

The problem with Dish... and the one that still irks me, is that I want a dual tuner receiver. DirecTV has one I can afford. Dish doesn't. I thought the 522 would be that unit but Dish won't even sell one.

Now I can get a DVR510 for $99 + shipping, but then I get basically a supersized PRV501 that costs an extra $4.99 per month. If I was going to pay an extra $4.99 per month for a DVR, I would have prefered either a dual tuner unit from Dish, or a DirecTivo. I don't like that Echostar has chosen to charge a monthly fee for functionality that is built into a piece of hardware that I also have to purchase.

But aspects of the News Corp sale and recent interviews have started me questioning the likelyhood of me being happy with DirecTV for a 12 month period. (the required commitment period when signing on as a new customer) Then with a bothersome vendor, I had to choose. I choose the simpler path of the status quo. I may come to regret that in the future... but I can still switch if it becomes an issue.

You went through a bad Retailer. Some are good some are bad.

I would go with www.valueelectronics.com FIrst Choice.

Then Expert Satelite second choice.

They both call the installers and follow up.

Almost all installers are from different companies and are NOT from the one you bought it from. It is important to have the retailer checking on things instead of leaving you in the dark like some do.

I could cancel and sign up with one a better retailer. There are many to choose from. When you call make sure the First guy to almost bought from did not already flag you in the direct TV system as there customer, if so the new retailer may face Charge backs till the first dealer clears out his new equipment claim on you.

This is also how it works with Dish Network. You just had a bad one.

Mike_H said:
#1 - My time is money. I already allocated a day to this conversion. It didn't happen and I need to move on. The difference between the two is not so great that I can't accept defeat on this attempt and just move along. Echostar better shape up though.
Agreed. But, a phone call to DirecTV doesn't take long. Schedule the install for a weekend.
#2 - Chase Carey, president and CEO of Hughes Electronics and its DirecTV unit, told TelevisionWeek "News Corp. and Fox are striving to cushion their energetic embrace of personal video recorder technology in DirecTV's set-top boxes with limitations and standards that do not overly threaten the advertising revenue that is key to Fox's TV stations and broadcast network. They will include elimination of the 30-second skip button and place limits on the time allowed to download and store programs. "

http://www.tvweek.com/topstorys/030104stationsfee.html

That DOES suck. They may run into legal roadblocks, though. There are currently federal consumer protection regulations in place regarding recording of TV programs.
OTOH, the FCC enforces existing policies depending on how business-friendly the administration is at the time. The current one might be said to show an ever-so-slight favoritism towards business interests. (a little bit.) That is why there have been so many changes in FCC and govermnment policy concerning broadcasters and media corporations. None have been in the consumer's favor. (Murdoch was behind the big push to increase media ownership. He got it too. Surprise surprise.)

Just like evreything else from dish the 522 will eventually become apart of dish networks regular stock.Right now it can only be sold in a DHA promo.When Charlie makes his money back then he will offer upgrades.....he waited almost 2 years with the 501 rcvrs.

If your commitment with Dish is over you could disconnect your service and then call back and become a digital home advantage customer . Then you could get your 522 activated now and save the extra receiver fee if you kept the box hooked up to a phone line. I think renting would be cheaper and you could get the latest receivers . If you didn't want to stay with the digital plan there is no commitment and you can send the stuff back in the box Dish sends and your through.

Mike H,

Call DISH, Tell them you want to cancel with them to go to Dtv. GUARANTEE they'll start ponying up to save you as a customer. Should not be a problem to get a 522 out of them.

If all else fails, cancel your service with them, and order in the missus name tommorrow. get all new equipment.

Mike H.

I switched over to "D" in Dec. and called "D" directly to see what they could do. Told them what my setup was with "E" and they offered a free upgrade to a Tivo on 1 reciever and a $49 upgrade on another Tivo. Both Tivo's when they arrived were elegible for the $50 rebate. Also told them I was going to get the HD Tivo when out and the installer ran all the necessary cabling and multiswitch at no charge. If you call "D" directly you will get the best deal and install.

Too late for me. This fiasco with DishOneUp and then the comments from Rupert about the Tivo's pushed me away from considering Direct.

Mike_H said:
Too late for me. This fiasco with DishOneUp and then the comments from Rupert about the Tivo's pushed me away from considering Direct.
It's really your loss after stating you really wanted the TiVo. There's a lot of conjecture around regarding News COrporation's plans to provide a DVR in every home, and mostly it seems surrounded by rumors of a very basic model being produced with limited storage capabilities, and familiar TIVo-like user interface but not full TiVo functionality; that would be reserved for higher end receivers including those now available.

Most likely the commentary you're attributing to your decision to skip switching is in regard to the receiver DirecTV wants to create to get a DVR into every home, not to full featured TiVO receivers.

In any event, nothing in this industry moves quickly, and with some 1+ million TiVo users on DirecTV now, it's highly unlikely we'd see a reduction in functionality, and certainly not soon, not even close to soon. For what it's worth, there is no 30 second skip officially now -- FF only -- so it's hard to eliminate a feature that isn't a feature but a backdoor/hack.

Actually, what I've stated is I really want dual tuners. As an existing Dish customer I can't get one at what I consider a reasonable price. My option then is to buy another DVR receiver. But with Dish adding the fee for their "new" DVR receivers, I was then driven to look at other solutions.

If I'm going to have to pay for DVR service, then which DVR service is going to give me the most value.

Without question, it's the DirecTivo.

I jumped at the chance and choose what I thought was a good solution. DishOneUp was advertising a package that no one else was. Could I have called DirecTV and gotten a similar deal? Perhaps, but it certainly wasn't advertised.

I received poor initial service from DishOneUp that caused me to cancel with them. Then reading comments from News Corp brought me to consider that DirecTV is in flux at this time, and that in a year I could be looking at a service I'm no-longer happy with.

The crux is this. If I switch to DirecTV and find I'm not happy after a year, I can always go back to Dish, but I won't be a new customer. So I'll be stuck with a large cost. If I stick with Dish a little while while DirecTV shakes out, I can see where they really are going. Then if I see that News corp hasn't totally screwed it up and Echostar continues with their buggy hardware/software, I can switch in as a new user.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)