I cannot believe how Directv lies to get new customers!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr4dtv

Original poster
Aug 7, 2016
I went into Sams Club today and made the misfortune of walking by the Directv "Booth".

These were Directv Salesman, well sort of. They are contracted through Directv through a company called SmartCircle.

When you walk by them, they literally stop you to "ask you a few questions". They are very "boiler room" so to speak. They structure the entire process to make it VERY HARD to leave.

That alone is turning people off from new sales. I'm sure of this.

So I told them I am still in contract with Dish and did not wish to switch at this time. They still blocked me from being able to leave.

Lie 1: They told me ALL of Dish is broadcasted in 720p, and all of Directv is in 1080p.

Lie 2. They said their is "normally" a $400 install charge and get this...a "$100 Credit Verification charge" but they "Would be willing to waive this for me today".

Lie 3. They said the hopper can only hold 200 hours of HD (actually 250 hours), and the Genie can hold 800 hours of HD.

[Possible] Lie 4. They said they would pay all cancellation costs associated with switching..

The same jamokes attempted to pull this nonsense on me at BJ's Wholesale Club while I was on my lunch break. When I rebuked them one sarcastically said to me, "I hope you enjoy spending your money."

As you say, they work for smart circle not DirecTV. But most of them have no idea what they are talking about. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say they are just badly trained rather than lying, but I think I am being too forgiving....

Well either Directv is feeding Smartcircle these lies, or they tell their employees "say whatever you can to get them to switch". Either way it's highly dishonest and probably makes less people switch than an honest salesman due to pushy arm twisting tactics.

No, DirecTV doesn't feed smartcircle any of this stuff. Smartcircle is a reseller who gets paid by DirectV based on the number of new customers they sign up. But DirecTv does not seem to apply any quality control to Smartcircle's behavior.

Smartcircle as an organization gets training from DirectV. Then they train their own people.
I often see the same people in my local Costco. I have listened to their sales pitch, and the basic presentation is OK. The problem comes with the answers they give to questions, these are often just complete BS.

i dont walk by their booth at the local hardware store anymore because i'll literally get in a fight. their techs are about as quality as their sales people in my area.

I can attest to some of the things posted above that I hear and I just walk away laughing to myself at Bj's. No doubt DISH would do the same if they were there. The last time the customer was worried about losing the signal every time it rains that Cable says happens. The answer was the channels are stored in the Genie receiver so that does not happen.

As you say, they work for smart circle not DirecTV. But most of them have no idea what they are talking about. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say they are just badly trained rather than lying, but I think I am being too forgiving....
First of all, not EVERY person that is doing that job is that way.
That particular location maybe.

Here in town we have a few at the local Costco and they are very good ...
As for someone actually stopping them from leaving the area .... Come on REALLY ?

As for the Lies, yes, those were lies that he mentioned, or didn't know any different.

Then again, keep in mind, they do not work for D* not even a little.

I can attest to some of the things posted above that I hear and I just walk away laughing to myself at Bj's. No doubt DISH would do the same if they were there. The last time the customer was worried about losing the signal every time it rains that Cable says happens. The answer was the channels are stored in the Genie receiver so that does not happen.
Hmmm, haven't heard THAT one yet !

Reactions: Tampa8
They are NOT trained. They are given the standard local DirecTV flyer and are told to wing it.

I always avoid third party resellers and go directly to the company when signing up for anything like TV service, cell phone service, etc. Usually I already know (or at least have a really good idea) exactly what I want to sign up for, and I just do it myself on the company's web site. Any time I'm approached by these folks in the stores/warehouses I always say "Oh, I already have [insert service name here]"...or in the case of the folks in places like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc that try to sell siding, windows, etc - "Oh, I just bought a brand new house!" (which isn't exactly a lie - my house is only 3 years old). That gets rid of them much faster and easier than me saying "Not interested" or "No thanks". Usually it ends with them saying "OK...thanks". Sometimes they'll say "Hope you're enjoying it!"

Reactions: Annie61
They are NOT trained. They are given the standard local DirecTV flyer and are told to wing it.
I don't know about that but after talking with reps at Costco, Sam's Club, a local independent dealer in my area and on the phone with Dish, I blame the satellite companies. Seems to me no one has a clear understanding of what the policies really are. I spent a lot of time researching my questions on forums here as well as on the company websites. When I called Dish I was referred to a different person three times once I started asking questions. If the companies would put all the information on their websites, in plain English, and make it accessible to customers or potential customers, like me, there would be a whole lot less confusion and erroneous information going around. At least that's my thoughts on the matter after a time consuming and so far fruitless quest to find another solution to cable TV.

Just tell them you have 8 televisions. The typical sales person has no idea what to do when there is more than 4 and will loose all interest in trying to sell anything to you.

Anything beyond 4 they need to charge you, and the typical sales person doesn't know anything except to give away everything for free.

I always avoid third party resellers and go directly to the company when signing up for anything like TV service, cell phone service, etc. Usually I already know (or at least have a really good idea) exactly what I want to sign up for, and I just do it myself on the company's web site. Any time I'm approached by these folks in the stores/warehouses I always say "Oh, I already have [insert service name here]"...or in the case of the folks in places like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc that try to sell siding, windows, etc - "Oh, I just bought a brand new house!" (which isn't exactly a lie - my house is only 3 years old). That gets rid of them much faster and easier than me saying "Not interested" or "No thanks". Usually it ends with them saying "OK...thanks". Sometimes they'll say "Hope you're enjoying it!"
I pretty much do.the same, get my services directly from the company.
I don't mind the people trying to sell the D* 3rd party stuff.
I usually have fun with them .... particularly if I let them go thru thier spiel and give me a price ..... they all THINK they can give me a better price than what I have.

There is nothing wrong with retailers, a matter of fact retailers generally are more knowledgable and provide better service.

I did an install the other day that the customer ordered directly from Directv that Directv installer said could not be done.

There is nothing wrong with retailers, a matter of fact retailers generally are more knowledgable and provide better service.

I did an install the other day that the customer ordered directly from Directv that Directv installer said could not be done.

dont take this the wrong way, but just because you managed to install it, doesn't mean it was a GOOD install. i've been to plenty of retailer-installed locations, and had to spend 30 minutes just trying to figure out how to take it from the scrambled mess it was to something remotely presentable. im sure it varies by market but the retailers in my area are generally the epitome of sleeze bag cable guy, not to say the in-house guys are perfect (*sigh* and i know they know better). seeing how you have posted pictures of your work here before i'm more then happy to give you the benefit of the doubt it lives up to D* standards, but it simply has not been my experience overall.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)