I can't believe this thread is still going !

I hate to break it to Willy, but blackberry aint dead. Not even close.

I know, I know apple rulez :rolleyes:

Names not Willy. Didn't say blackberry was dead, don't really care for apple either. :rolleyes: Did say blackberry addicts fight for blackberry like its the second coming of christ, they are even worse than apple fanboys.

So, where do you see any recent fighting going on?

Here is your fighting:
Troll. You ain't looking for an answer, but you get one anyway. There isn't anybody left here who is still fighting that war. The forum is pretty dead with only 4-5 threads being active in July, not counting this one. Most of them are looking at future threats to BR and/or the historical business decisions that led to the BD victory.

and

And there are still titles out there for as low as $3.99 ea. (Haven't seen that in the BD world!) To be sure there will be plenty of titles available for many moons to come in the used/trade market as well. Weren't there over 500 released? Even if only half are worth seeing, at the rate I'm going it will take me 5 years to see them all!

As far as I'm concerned, HD DVD ain't dead until I say it is...
and also

HDDVD is dead...the war is over . Get over it ! :D

Good for you enjoy your firesales, enjoy your titles. I don't know why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over this. It should have been obvious that my remarks were directed aty bhelms who declared himself the only one who can say when HD-DVD is dead. :rolleyes: Seems some of you may be a tad on the sensitive side.

same question here. who is fighting other than the OP? I hate it when people post and dont bother to read the thread.

See above! :D

hd , while we dont have new is still great!! and up coonverts BETTER then BR!! ty

Thats debatable. First gen HD-DVD players did upconvert better than any first-gen BR player. However there are more than one generation. There are some that also don't care for the players upconverting capabilities as we have our own scalers which are far superior to anything found in any BR or HD-DVD player.

hmmm...I just bought a HD DVD player and I have to say it looks the same on my tv as my blurays, and I can get some good title cheap....so I am happy! by the way this is a forum, not a thread ;)

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you here. I have owned both formats since they were released from the A1 to the sony BDP-S1. I noticed a difference from the start, excluding the initial launch titles and the samsung player which was a horrible mistake to even allow that thing to be produced. BR films have had a more film-like appearance to me, while HD-DVD films were mostly soft. I don't like it when a film is processed and film grain is removed because JSP complains. BR gave me the more film like look, a tad and I do mean tad more detail. Perhaps I noticed because I am on a larger screen, but I even noticed it on my 60XBR2.

Last edited:
...It should have been obvious that my remarks were directed aty bhelms who declared himself the only one who can say when HD-DVD is dead. :rolleyes: Seems some of you may be a tad on the sensitive side...
Actually you misquoted me, or perhaps missed my meaning. Note that I said "As far as I'm concerned..." And that's the key. I'm only speaking for myself, and that simply I'll continue to enjoy HD DVD (probably in addition to BD when I finally make the jump) until I alone decide it's time to close the book on HD DVD* and move on. To rephrase, just because others have declared the format dead does not make it so for all. (FWIW, I have already provided the HDMI cable and labeled the input for BD. As soon as a profile 2.0 unit is available at ~$250 I'll pull the trigger on BD, but not likely before that...)

I'm pretty thick skinned at my advanced age so this is not a sensitivity thing, just the facts...!

(* The chances of me abandoning HD DVD altogether are slim. I'm still enjoying my audio cassette and reel-to-reel equipment !!)

(* The chances of me abandoning HD DVD altogether are slim. I'm still enjoying my audio cassette and reel-to-reel equipment !!)

Yep, and I've still got a gazillion laserdiscs. That's why you buy receivers with lots of inputs :)

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on BD myself. Waiting to see how the new Sony 350 sorts itself out.

...That's why you buy receivers with lots of inputs :)...
Yeah, my Sony 5300 has six (count 'em!) HDMI inputs. So I have both HD DVD players connected (using the A2 for "general" use and reserving the A35 for those disks with TrueHD audio bitstreaming) and the pre-wired slot for the future BD player. With the ViP211 connected that still leaves me 2 spares...!

Actually you misquoted me, or perhaps missed my meaning. Note that I said "As far as I'm concerned..." And that's the key. I'm only speaking for myself, and that simply I'll continue to enjoy HD DVD (probably in addition to BD when I finally make the jump) until I alone decide it's time to close the book on HD DVD* and move on. To rephrase, just because others have declared the format dead does not make it so for all. (FWIW, I have already provided the HDMI cable and labeled the input for BD. As soon as a profile 2.0 unit is available at ~$250 I'll pull the trigger on BD, but not likely before that...)

I'm pretty thick skinned at my advanced age so this is not a sensitivity thing, just the facts...!

Perhaps we have both misunderstood each other. It appears we both define "dead" differently. Death of a format means that it is no longer manufactured. Which in this case HD-DVD is. No players or films are being released, no stocks are being replenished, and so on. To you it means something else.

I too have laserdiscs and have actually continued to purchase some old rare ones as they come up and still have my ELITE LD player from back in the day. I also have my A1 HD-DVD player, but I stopped purchasing titles on that format once the second gen players came out. I just saw no benefit to continue investing so much money into it. In the end it was a wise choice, because had I invested as much as I had in BR I would not have been a happy camper.

Peace!

I have a fairly sizeable DVD collection, adding to that the ~80 titles I now have in HD DVD. But for those latter my acquired cost hovers somewhere just over $10/title avg. I can't imagine anyone has a BD collection at that average cost! To be sure a lot of what is still available new is probably not really worth buying (I will watch it once and perhaps never again.) but sometimes the $3-4 price tag leads us to such non-critical decisions, for better or worse.

Liken this to another (nearly) dead format, SACD. Note my growing thread elsewhere on that topic. Many have proclaimed SACD and its rival DVD-A also dead. One can still buy NIB equipment for both formats (not sure if any is actually still being manufactured) as with HD DVD. And interestingly, at least as recently as 2006 some SACD titles have been remastered/released. So there is still some availability of "new" titles added to the 4,000+ already released. Maybe I'm one who sees that as a possibility for HD DVD, tho' I'm not banking on it!

Certainly, "dead" is in the eye (and ears!) of the beholder. However one defines it, "dead" does not mean disfunctional and useless, like an expired software license. For many of us who are hearing the death of HD DVD repeated time and again, it's as if the messenger is telling us to abandon the format altogether, stop thowing good money after bad, etc. True, HD DVD has stopped growing altogether and as equipment fails will dwindle to nothing in time. But until that happens for me, and/or I tire of whatever number of those 500+ titles I choose to acquire, it's still quite alive and doing well, thanks for asking! And to be sure, some of those titles will probably never be released on BD...

HD DVD is dead. Long live HD DVD!

Still looking for the occasional bargain to play on my Samsung Duo player... the best of both worlds....

It maxes out at Profile 1.1 due to the smaller storage on board, but most of the other BD Live features should work just fine after a firmware update....

We had a call this morning from a guy who's buying players up as fast as he can find them. He's got two in his current setup and 3 or 4 more in boxes. He loves the upconvert and is determined he's going to watch his HD DVD movies in 2020. :)

...is determined he's going to watch his HD DVD movies in 2020. :)
I think so, too.
But why stock up on players? Just rip the darn thing onto a hard drive DRM-free. Re-encode if needed.
Now the result can be played even with players like TViX, no PC needed. And it will get only better in this respect...

Diogen.

I think so, too.
But why stock up on players? Just rip the darn thing onto a hard drive DRM-free. Re-encode if needed.
Now the result can be played even with players like TViX, no PC needed. And it will get only better in this respect...

Diogen.

Oh this guy couldn't do that. He's very fussy...he has it in his mind that he choose HD DVD and he's going to by God keep it running until he dies. He's still a big reel to reel fan!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts