I can't tape an SD show when HD is available

Nabber

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
I am trying to get my 722 to record the local FOX channel using the SD satellite feed rather than my HD Antennae feed. The option to choose SD, SD/HD, or HD only seems to have vanished as I have searched the menu and timer settings to no avail. Has the option to choose SD/HD disappeared or more likely am I blind?

What am I missing?
Thanks!

p.s. Here's why: I am taping the new series "V" on ABC next Tuesday night but usually tape SYTYCD on FOX in HD from my antennae. I want to defer the OTA HD to "V" and let SYTYCD record in SD. When I explicitly tell it to tape the 18.00 (via satellite) it disregards my channel selection and chooses 18.01 (the HD alternative via the antennae.)

Try the channel on the 7000 range instead of the mapdown.

Thanks. I tried that (7603) and it just remapped to the re-list at 18.00 in the schedule. I seem to recall a setting to set preference of HD over SD but I can't find it anymore on my 722. :confused: I think it was in the timer "Option" in the past.

are you creating a timer in the Guide or a Dish Pass? The HD/SD option only shows up when making a Dish Pass.

Just put the V timer on the priority list above SYT, and create a SYT timer that specifies the -00 Fox channel. The 622/722 can record from all three tuners in HD at the same time; why do you want to blur up Mary's rubbery face? ;)

... why do you want to blur up Mary's rubbery face? ;)

lol.

Found the problem.

I had set as timer for V to record on 8.01 with priority 6 <-- shows as recording
I had a timer for SYT to record on 18.01 with priority 7 <-- shows as not recording
Then I set a third timer to record SYT on 7603 and no matter what priority I gave it, it would not record as still thought the HD recording was active.

So, I deleted my HD timer for SYT, and set a new timer for an SD SYT and all is fine. Phew!

Thanks all!

edit: Made sure I didn't use the term "tape" :D

I record certain Food Network content in SD all the time. Stretch-o-vision sucks worse than the overcompressed SD that Dish sends us.

I'll agree with that, but the directors on SYT aren't very good, and the shot frequently takes full [widescreen] frame, so a zoom and crop SD feed ruins that experience.

"I'm just going to watch on TV2" doesn't make that much sense, either, unless you really do want the zoom'n'crop because TV2 is 4:3.

There's simply no reason to not record this show in HD.

I'll agree with that, but the directors on SYT aren't very good, and the shot frequently takes full [widescreen] frame, so a zoom and crop SD feed ruins that experience.

"I'm just going to watch on TV2" doesn't make that much sense, either, unless you really do want the zoom'n'crop because TV2 is 4:3.

There's simply no reason to not record this show in HD.

Well, considering that "SYTYCD" isn't even shot in HD, it's weird that they screw up the framing for the 4:3 vs. the widescreen SD. However, I totally get you. Good to know.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure they announced that they were shooting in HD this season. Either way, just because it's 480i/p doesn't mean it's 4:3. A LOT of cameras in the field have a switch that allows them to do either frame size, and for the last several years, SYT has been shot in 16:9 (my memory doesn't go back five seasons, let alone five years ;)).

...but why did you record in SD? Unless you're short on disk space, I don't see the logic.

probably thinks that since tv2 can only watch SD that it also only TAPES SD.

No...

Both of the programs I want to record are HD locals available via OTA antenna only. My MSA does not have Local HD via satellite yet so I must use the antenna tuner. Since the 722 can only record 1 HD OTA signal at a time, I must choose which program to record in SD via the satellite. Once my HD locals come on-line, the problem is solved.

You could "Move" to a DMA that has HD locals. What Dish do you have?

I think it's a 500. It gets 110, 119, and 129. I was never sure how that "move" worked and what the address requirements and/or verifications were. Although we're due to get our local HD's in a couple weeks (soon?), I'm open to all alternatives. ;)

I think it's a 500. It gets 110, 119, and 129. I was never sure how that "move" worked and what the address requirements and/or verifications were. Although we're due to get our local HD's in a couple weeks (soon?), I'm open to all alternatives. ;)

That's a Dish1000. You'd be surprised what you can get. Dig around on the link in my signature on 129, click on the spotbeam links to view the maps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)