Directv A&E opt in or out

How can channels be Removed from D* yet still be available, if its there for 1 person , it should be there for all.
So they can pay the broadcaster ( A&E Group) less, every channel is paid to the broadcaster on a per-sub fee, so get rid of some of the subscribers to those channels, then more profit to the Provider ( DirecTV).

Another example, when Dish got rid of the RSNs, prices did not go down and Dish was still getting the same amount from subscribers, they no longer had to pay the per sub fee and profits went up.

We are now at the point where both DirecTV and Dish will do everything they can to squeeze the most out of subscribers since the life span of TV by Satellite is coming to a end, a example is Dish having 2 price increases in 2021, while their net profits are way up even before the 2nd increase

This has nothing to do with usage. Four channels were removed from Select and Entertainment going forward. Existing customers can be grandfathered on request. When the transition period is over, new Entertainment Package customers will no longer receive the four A&E channels, period.
Just checked the package line-ups on DTV's site and I'm a bit surprised to see that the A+E networks are still included in the Entertainment package on DTV Stream but not on satellite, where they're only available in the Choice and up tiers. Perhaps this is because the A+E nets are the only major channels that DTV Stream offers but YouTube TV lacks, so retaining them in their entry-level package is more important to them there.

This has nothing to do with usage. Four channels were removed from Select and Entertainment going forward. Existing customers can be grandfathered on request. When the transition period is over, new Entertainment Package customers will no longer receive the four A&E channels, period.
So basically they changed package, not removed from the service ... thats a lot different than saying that they lost channels.

So they can pay the broadcaster ( A&E Group) less, every channel is paid to the broadcaster on a per-sub fee, so get rid of some of the subscribers to those channels, then more profit to the Provider ( DirecTV).

Another example, when Dish got rid of the RSNs, prices did not go down and Dish was still getting the same amount from subscribers, they no longer had to pay the per sub fee and profits went up.

We are now at the point where both DirecTV and Dish will do everything they can to squeeze the most out of subscribers since the life span of TV by Satellite is coming to a end, a example is Dish having 2 price increases in 2021, while their net profits are way up even before the 2nd increase
You keep saying that its all coming to an end ... QUIT.
The Sats will be usable for another 9-10 years at least .... if they choose to turn service off, thats one thing, but that doesn't mean the service is dead.

You keep saying that its all coming to an end ... QUIT.
The Sats will be usable for another 9-10 years at least .... if they choose to turn service off, thats one thing, but that doesn't mean the service is dead.
I have always said in about 10 years.

And I have explained before, I rather have Dish or DirecTV instead of getting Live TV via the internet, I just will not pay those extra fees for boxes in my guest rooms and other rooms that are not used as much, game room or the outside theater for example( 11 rooms total).

If either of the two companies allowed me to get their service via apps in those other rooms at no charge, they would have another customer.

And if you ask who does that, Charter and Comcast does, along with the OTT services.

Last edited:
I guess the apps thing is a new wave so to say.

I know D* had similar before apps with DirecTV ready tvs .

I'm not a fan of all these streaming device things ..

I guess the apps thing is a new wave so to say.

I know D* had similar before apps with DirecTV ready tvs .

I'm not a fan of all these streaming device things ..
If was to do the same TVs via Streaming, wouldn't I need that many Streaming sticks or whatever you decide to use ?
So if I have 5 TV's, I'd have to go out and buy 5 of them.

At $20 a piece vs $5 monthly box charge
Yep. I just ordered a couple of the Onn Android TV UHD boxes for my parents. They cost $19.88 each from Walmart. They're gonna try out YouTube TV for a bit and see if they like it well enough to switch permanently. If they do, their monthly bill would go from $118 on DISH (AT120 w/ locals + Heartland pack + 2 HD DVRs) to $65. That's a 45% price cut! The cost of the streaming boxes would be paid back in the first month.

I guess it depends on the streaming device and your broadband connection.

The other day (not the AWS outage day) I tried to watch a movie on HBO max and it kept freezing. Tried the built in tv app, tired 4k Amazon fire stick and a 4k chromecast all are hard wired etherner and didn't work . Had to connect tv to my cell phone as a hot spot and it finally worked .. I would hate to rely on streaming devices with my current ISP...

I'll continue to pay D* for STBs as least I know they work 99% of the time .

Reactions: AZ. and Jimbo
I guess it depends on the streaming device and your broadband connection.

The other day (not the AWS outage day) I tried to watch a movie on HBO max and it kept freezing. Tried the built in tv app, tired 4k Amazon fire stick and a 4k chromecast all are hard wired etherner and didn't work . Had to connect tv to my cell phone as a hot spot and it finally worked .. I would hate to rely on streaming devices with my current ISP...

I'll continue to pay D* for STBs as least I know they work 99% of the time .
Did you reset your router?

since the life span of TV by Satellite is coming to a end, a example is Dish having 2 price increases in 2021, while their net profits are way up even before the 2nd increase
You just argued against yourself. It's coming to an end but profits are going up? Those two don't go together. Satellite TV will be around as long as it's profitable and it will continue to be profitable for years to come. What I do expect to see is broadcast TV stations going belly up over the next few years as conglomerations that own them find out they don't have the clout to demand the price increases they rely on to stay viable. For instance, if Peacock is successful then where's the need for expensive NBC broadcast stations? Yep, the next few years will be interesting to say the least but don't hold your breath waiting for Dish to fold.

Reactions: Jimbo
You just argued against yourself. It's coming to an end but profits are going up? Those two don't go together. Satellite TV will be around as long as it's profitable and it will continue to be profitable for years to come. What I do expect to see is broadcast TV stations going belly up over the next few years as conglomerations that own them find out they don't have the clout to demand the price increases they rely on to stay viable. For instance, if Peacock is successful then where's the need for expensive NBC broadcast stations? Yep, the next few years will be interesting to say the least but don't hold your breath waiting for Dish to fold.
You do understand that Dish Network last launched a Satellite in 2010 ( 2 of them-Echostar 14 and 15) with no more planned or launched since then, that means their newest Sats are already 11 years into a planned 15 year life span, kind of hard to have a Satellite TV business without operational Satellites.

Which makes my point more true, make as much money as you can now before the end, hence the double price increase in a year.

I thought we pay for those four channels in our packages? I don't see why they need high viewership numbers to keep them on the lineup.Greedy ad revenue - I guess. I mean let's say there is 78 million subscribers times 50 cents times 12 months for each individual channel. Is that not a lot of dough? Meh - whatever. I'm not going to win this argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts