Directv A&E opt in or out

Update: NextTV.com reported on Wednesday, December 15, that DIRECTV has restored the four A&E channels to the lineup of existing customers without them having to opt-in. The removal generated significant criticism online which apparently led to DIRECTV returning the A&E networks. However, they remain off the Entertainment package for new customers.

You do understand that Dish Network last launched a Satellite in 2010 ( 2 of them-Echostar 14 and 15) with no more planned or launched since then, that means their newest Sats are already 11 years into a planned 15 year life span, kind of hard to have a Satellite TV business without operational Satellites.

Which makes my point more true, make as much money as you can now before the end, hence the double price increase in a year.
As you know, a Sat with a lifespan of 15 years typically will last a whole lot longer than that.

You do understand that Dish Network last launched a Satellite in 2010 ( 2 of them-Echostar 14 and 15) with no more planned or launched since then, that means their newest Sats are already 11 years into a planned 15 year life span, kind of hard to have a Satellite TV business without operational Satellites.

Which makes my point more true, make as much money as you can now before the end, hence the double price increase in a year.

and since no one is prioritizing "fiber to all" once Direct/Dish satellites go defunct those in the middle of nowhere will have to go back to C-Band/Ku-Band FTA and OTA antenna since crappy slow capped wireless internet can't handle whole households streaming TV needs. StarLink is already slowing down, it won't be able to handle everyone going to streaming who are currently using Direct/Dish along side it for TV right now.

Hell I have Direct sat running along side my fiber and I still use over 1TB of data a month.

and since no one is prioritizing "fiber to all" once Direct/Dish satellites go defunct those in the middle of nowhere will have to go back to C-Band/Ku-Band FTA and OTA antenna since crappy slow capped wireless internet can't handle whole households streaming TV needs. StarLink is already slowing down, it won't be able to handle everyone going to streaming who are currently using Direct/Dish along side it for TV right now.

Hell I have Direct sat running along side my fiber and I still use over 1TB of data a month.
ATSC 3.0 can have pay channels ON OTA so maybe some live streams can move there.

Several channels stopped working. (Seems to be the A&E owned networks). At first I thought my package got changed from SELECT to FAMILY but I checked and the channels that are in FAMILY and not in SELECT did not start working.

I logged into the site to refresh the receivers and it says:

DirecTV_Outage.PNG

Is there a sudden dispute with these channels?

I had already done the opt-in.

A&E_Opt_In.PNG

Last edited:
So I called retentions today and they said there is a system issue preventing some accounts from opting in to keep the A&E networks and that it should be fixed within a day or so. We'll see...

For those of you that are still getting them...

1. Did you opt-in to keep them?
2. What package are you on?

I'm wondering if it's only affecting those of us on select...

So I called retentions today and they said there is a system issue preventing some accounts from opting in to keep the A&E networks and that it should be fixed within a day or so. We'll see...

For those of you that are still getting them...

1. Did you opt-in to keep them?
2. What package are you on?

I'm wondering if it's only affecting those of us on select...
I'm thinking its package specific ...

I did Not Opt In or Out
I am on the Ultimate package

Reactions: ejb1980
So I called retentions again today, call was 44 minutes. The rep's supervisor was able to restore the channels.

I now see a "A&E $0.00/mo" add-on on the account.

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)