I don't understand DirecTv or Dish Network, they both suck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

autismknows

Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
East USA
I am still having a hard time understanding all this stuff about how important it is to have a professional install your equipment for Directv or Dish. Has people today really gotten that stupid? Do school teach anything technical anymore?

wouldn't it be eaiser to just simply put on there website, instructions on how to do it. i think people would feel much better knowing that they did it there selfs in there own home, than having a so called pro come out and do it. it doesn't take a certified tech to install a DBS system. That is the biggest joke I have ever heard of. Any person with a 5th grade education can do it. if you can put a model car together, than you can install your stinking DBS system. all this tech talk about all these tools needed to find singals and to properly allign your dish is all bull. a paper with simple instructions and a map will show anyone how to do it. there is no special tools needed to setup your system. just a basic tool set that all people should have anyway, will do.

Dish Network and DirecTv is just another way to make people in this world lazy. to rely on these so called techs to come there houses and reallign there dish everytime a kid hits it with a stinking ball, or replace a reciever that went bad cause they all suck anyway.

if your going to own a system, teach people about it, make it better, sell brand names people know and trust, offer warrantys on your products, if it simply breaks, send it back for a new one. simple as that. people should be able to buy there stuff, like you would a DVD Player or a TV. They should be able to buy it, set it up and enjoy it, and not have to rely on stinking techs coming into there homes, half assing hook ups to tvs, drilling holes where they don't be needed and than saying, "if you need anything give us a call." what a lame ass stupid thing to do. it didn't seem that hard to teach people how to setup and use a computer, and it didn't seem that hard to teach cosumers how to hook up there stinking hdtvs on there walls. well DBS is no diffrent. Education is the key to succeed in any business. you will see more customers come to the service, since there no longer scared to set the sh*t up, and you will see the rates get lower on these package plans. the rates are so damn high, its disgusting.

I think if your not smart enough to install your own DBS than you need to just get cable. Yea, Plug that little wire into the back of your tv and call the cable company!

smarten up peoples!!! don't let these companys fool you! Cable sucks too!

Actually you dont own it, you lease it.

And can you imagine how many calls Direct & DIsh would get when folks try to install their own setups? Yeah like that would help hold times :rolleyes:

Sorry is my post is a little harsh. I can understand FTA Systems or C-band, etc systems being a bitch to setup but come on, DBS??? i bet i can show my 10 year old how to do it the first time and he be considered a so called highly skill tech as they like to call it. lol

Not everyone is an expert on how it works or how to mount it. Do you do your own dental cleanings or do you let a dentist or hygienist do it? To me, computer networking is dead simple and I can do it in my sleep. My mom couldn't tell you what the difference was between an IP address and a phone number.

On the other hand she knows every little in and out of handling payroll for the company she works for, including taxes, W-2s, insurance, overtime, etc. I only know the very very basics.

My point? Not everyone is an expert in everything. Just as you are an expert in satellite technology but obviously not the English language.

HEY!! Who the H*LL do you think you are?!?!?

I have a 7yo son with Autism, and I find your handle very offensive.

When I first got my Directv system around 1999. It was a RCA system that I purchased from Wal-Mart and installed it myself, it was fairly simple, except for the alignment of the dish. I spent a whole weekend working on the alignment, but finally got it. I am not a tech of any sort, but it was very easy to do. I wish that they offered free installation back then. I would of had them do it...

Just my 2 cents...

I agree with the OP to a point.

I bought my dish network system (dishplayer 7200) at sears back in, well whenever it was they sold them there. It came with a bunch of parts to build your own dish500. Really nothing difficult to it at all.

Bottom line, most people just want to watch tv. They aren't interested in anything more detailed than that. Those of us who get into the technical nuts and bolts of it are the exception.

Let me drop my 2 cents in . . . when the wiring is not properly grounded and your house burns down, do you think an insurance company will cover a self-install accident?

I am still having a hard time understanding all this stuff about how important it is to have a professional install your equipment for Directv or Dish. Has people today really gotten that stupid? Do school teach anything technical anymore?

wouldn't it be eaiser to just simply put on there website, instructions on how to do it. i think people would feel much better knowing that they did it there selfs in there own home, than having a so called pro come out and do it. it doesn't take a certified tech to install a DBS system. That is the biggest joke I have ever heard of. Any person with a 5th grade education can do it. if you can put a model car together, than you can install your stinking DBS system. all this tech talk about all these tools needed to find singals and to properly allign your dish is all bull. a paper with simple instructions and a map will show anyone how to do it. there is no special tools needed to setup your system. just a basic tool set that all people should have anyway, will do.

Dish Network and DirecTv is just another way to make people in this world lazy. to rely on these so called techs to come there houses and reallign there dish everytime a kid hits it with a stinking ball, or replace a reciever that went bad cause they all suck anyway.

if your going to own a system, teach people about it, make it better, sell brand names people know and trust, offer warrantys on your products, if it simply breaks, send it back for a new one. simple as that. people should be able to buy there stuff, like you would a DVD Player or a TV. They should be able to buy it, set it up and enjoy it, and not have to rely on stinking techs coming into there homes, half assing hook ups to tvs, drilling holes where they don't be needed and than saying, "if you need anything give us a call." what a lame ass stupid thing to do. it didn't seem that hard to teach people how to setup and use a computer, and it didn't seem that hard to teach cosumers how to hook up there stinking hdtvs on there walls. well DBS is no diffrent. Education is the key to succeed in any business. you will see more customers come to the service, since there no longer scared to set the sh*t up, and you will see the rates get lower on these package plans. the rates are so damn high, its disgusting.

I think if your not smart enough to install your own DBS than you need to just get cable. Yea, Plug that little wire into the back of your tv and call the cable company!

smarten up peoples!!! don't let these companys fool you! Cable sucks too!

What ever you troll!

Go crawl back under the rock you came from.

Just by the way you wrote this post, I would not let you touch my DBS system with a 10' pole.

I kind of understand where the OP is coming from. Hell, I'm a professional installer and they won't give me the time of day, even on my own account. Anytime I upgrade they have to schedule a professional installer to come out and I have to wait for him (myself) to show up on such and such day between 12-5. Nevermind the fact I have a DISH Network van stocked with all sorts of DISH Network equipment. In one ear and out the other. No, I have to wait for the professional to show up. The latest issue I had was a bad receiver. I had to wait 5 days for a replacement to be shipped to me. Nevermind that I had lots of receivers sitting in my own driveway. No they have to follow procedure and be like robots and not think for themselves. Heaven forbid that technicians think for themselves. It's an insult to make a technician walk through all the troubleshooting steps like a regular customer, and to make us wait 5 days to watch TV again. What is this world coming to?

One of the things that I was most attracted to about getting a DSS system -which is how directv was known back in 1996 (anyone remember U.S.S.B.?) was the fact that I WAS IN CONTROL, I hooked it up, I put the dish where I wanted, I ran the cable where I wanted & if something wasn't right it was my fault & I could fix it. I didn't have to call some stupid company & have some shmoe come out to my house telling me that "it looks fine to me". Back then it was practically ALL do-it-yourself.

I still have that control, I put up my own 3 LNB dish when I had to upgrade to get my locals & I put up my own 5 LNB dish & hooked up my own HD DVRs when I upgraded to HD. It is NOT difficult and it is still possible to be in control of your own install.

I can also see why from DTVs standpoint why they would want to strengthen their invovlement in the install process.
#1 most people ARE stupid & can f**k up a free lunch let alone trying to install a dish properly & accurately enough to pull in all needed sats with enough signal to keep them from complaining to DTV CSRs that they keep losing their TV picture & that "DTV sucks & I am going to cancel" Even way back when I helped many friends hook up their dish. It can be confusing for alot of people.

#2 I believe that DTVs fight against piracy lead them to take more control over the equipment & knowledge needed to install, maintain, and own their own equipment. People used to buy the receivers at walmart for 50 bucks then dump the hardware in the garbage & sell the cards on ebay for 400 bucks. People that own their equipment are more likely to tear it apart & see how it works & modify it & figure out how to get free TV. Now you don't own the equipment it is leased & you face a fine for not returning the equipment. DTV is just trying to keep their money in their pocket just like you, me & any other business out there.

#3 the problem is with idiots & a**holes that get hired by install companies who do a poor job of installing and/or explaining things to the customer. I love Directv & everytime I have dealt with them it has been with DTV customer service, not an install company. DirecTV has always treated me right, I can not complain. Alot of people see them as one & the same but they are not. DTV contracts other companies to do the installing for them. I can see where someone would bitch about DTV when their install went bad & yet it was not actually DTV that they should be upset with, but the install company. I am sure that DTV attempts to make things right when an install goes bad...But I wouldn't know from first hand experience because I install my own equipment & have never had to complain about a bad install:up

I kind of understand where the OP is coming from. Hell, I'm a professional installer and they won't give me the time of day, even on my own account. Anytime I upgrade they have to schedule a professional installer to come out and I have to wait for him (myself) to show up on such and such day between 12-5. Nevermind the fact I have a DISH Network van stocked with all sorts of DISH Network equipment. In one ear and out the other. No, I have to wait for the professional to show up. The latest issue I had was a bad receiver. I had to wait 5 days for a replacement to be shipped to me. Nevermind that I had lots of receivers sitting in my own driveway. No they have to follow procedure and be like robots and not think for themselves. Heaven forbid that technicians think for themselves. It's an insult to make a technician walk through all the troubleshooting steps like a regular customer, and to make us wait 5 days to watch TV again. What is this world coming to?

I can see your point, as you have been trained to it could be frustrating to have to wait to do something you have been trained to do. Thats the key trained to do, lets give installers credit they have been trained to do this, your not stupid if you are not able to hook up your dish as the OP has stated

One of the things that I was most attracted to about getting a DSS system -which is how directv was known back in 1996 (anyone remember U.S.S.B.?) was the fact that I WAS IN CONTROL, I hooked it up, I put the dish where I wanted, I ran the cable where I wanted & if something wasn't right it was my fault & I could fix it.

#2 I believe that DTVs fight against piracy lead them to take more control over the equipment & knowledge needed to install, maintain, and own their own equipment. DTV is just trying to keep their money in their pocket just like you, me & any other business out there.

I've often suspected that the piracy concern was the chief reason for discouraging self installs.

I've had both Dish Network and DirecTV, and installed both units myself when the self install kits were readily available at any dealer...the biggest issue was teaching myself how to properly drill into a brick home without rapidly exhausting the proper type of drill bit.

Only time I didn't do the installation was a couple of years ago, when switching providers for a second time. New equipment and a professional install came as part of the package deal, but I ended up helping out to an extent. I wanted that cable run under the house, same as my two self installs...the professional installer was scared to go under, so I crawled under the house, took the cable from him, and fed it into the den.

Six months later, I ended up having to go outside and realign the dish. Apparently the installer didn't tighten the connections securely, and a mild bump to the dish while I was cutting grass one day knocked it out of alignment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)