I don't want playoffs in college football

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
This is my opinion, and I'll stick to it as long as I live.

I do NOT want a playoff- not now, not ever. I am fine with the BCS.

Here are my reasons why:

1. Don't punish the other strong teams. How would it be fair if the #3 or #5 teams don't get a chance to finish off their seasons on a high note. I'd rather have multiple teams end the season happy rather than over 100 teams be upset.

I'd rather see a couple of high-ranked teams played a handful of thrillers than one blowout game to end it all with everyone else dissapointated.

If you playoff-pushers got your way, Boise State wouldn't have gotten a chance to pull off those epic trick plays against Oklahoma. And the two greatest bowl games of all time- the Texas-USC Rose Bowl from 2006 and Miami-Ohio State Fiesta Bowl from 2003? If you playoff-wishers got what you wanted, instead of those epic battles, we'd have split champions.

2. Is a playoff system THAT more entertaining? Everyone talks about college basketball's tournament, but the last few years have been very lackluster. The 2007 tournament was among the least entertaining of all-time- no real drama.

3. It would hurt rivalries. Alabama already clinched the SEC West in early-November. How fair would it have been if Bama took the foot off the gas and sat their starters the rest of the year? It would make the Iron Bowl similar to some late-season NFL games where nobody on a team plays beyond the first quarter.

To those of you who scream for a playoff, I say- be careful what you wish for.

1. Don't punish the other strong teams. How would it be fair if the #3 or #5 teams don't get a chance to finish off their seasons on a high note. I'd rather have multiple teams end the season happy rather than over 100 teams be upset.

I'd rather see a couple of high-ranked teams played a handful of thrillers than one blowout game to end it all with everyone else dissapointated.
That's just un American right there. Why not give everybody a ribbon and tell them they're special? Why have any competition at all? Why have elections where someone has to lose? Let's just become communists. :rolleyes:

If you playoff-pushers got your way, Boise State wouldn't have gotten a chance to pull off those epic trick plays against Oklahoma. And the two greatest bowl games of all time- the Texas-USC Rose Bowl from 2006 and Miami-Ohio State Fiesta Bowl from 2003? If you playoff-wishers got what you wanted, instead of those epic battles, we'd have split champions.
Why would there be split champions? A playoff guarantees one champion.

2. Is a playoff system THAT more entertaining? Everyone talks about college basketball's tournament, but the last few years have been very lackluster. The 2007 tournament was among the least entertaining of all-time- no real drama.
Yeah the Kansas-Memphis CG in 2008 was a real snoozer. Such a shame that someone had to lose. Why not call them both champions and not hurt anyone's feelings instead of playing that OT. :rolleyes:

3. It would hurt rivalries. Alabama already clinched the SEC West in early-November. How fair would it have been if Bama took the foot off the gas and sat their starters the rest of the year? It would make the Iron Bowl similar to some late-season NFL games where nobody on a team plays beyond the first quarter.

You've obviously never spent time in Alabama or around any serious college rivalry. Let's test your little theory and see if Alabama rests their starters against Auburn since they've got Florida the next week, or see if GT rests their starters against Georgia since they've got the ACC CG the next week.

All the teams in the Final Four still end in a high note. Why would Football be any different than Basketball?
I thought it was pretty entertaining. I know Anders loved it. And drama? Who cares, we want good games, which it provided.
Why? They don't let up in Basketball after someone has clinched the Conference Regular Season Title, or for the reason that everyone goes to the Tournament anyway. Again, why would Football be any different?

Playoffs would be great. At least then the pretenders who go undefeated on a joke schedule in a joke league would actually have to earn a National Title instead of crying that they were robbed.

It is a joke right now. Wait 4-6 weeks to play a championship game. It's like getting to the US Open final in tennis and playing it weeks after the semi-finals.

The way it is set up now, teams are playing for the RIGHT to play in the final game but I do not view it as a championship game with such delay.

Playoffs will destroy college football as we know it, just for the purpose of making it some kind of pretend AAA NFL.

It is a wonderful sport, as it. It was even better when the bowls all made their own deals after the season, rather than this formulastic #3SEC v. #6ACC to the Gator Bowl every year nonsense.

Playoffs will destroy college football as we know it, just for the purpose of making it some kind of pretend AAA NFL.

It is a wonderful sport, as it. It was even better when the bowls all made their own deals after the season, rather than this formulastic #3SEC v. #6ACC to the Gator Bowl every year nonsense.
Before the BCS came along, yes.

But the BCS destroyed the Bowl Season. No longer do people wait for Jan 1st, to sit and watch football all day. The "mystique" of the Bowls was destroyed.

Playoffs work in every other division of College Football, no reason they won't work in 1-A.

:confused: Don't punish?? How about giving some other good teams a chance to win other than the annointed two??

Wrong. Who's to say these wouldn't be early round matchups??

2. Is a playoff system THAT more entertaining?
Yes.

3. It would hurt rivalries. Alabama already clinched the SEC West in early-November. How fair would it have been if Bama took the foot off the gas and sat their starters the rest of the year?
Do you seriously think that would ever happen?? If you do, it's disappointing that you would think that....

Alabama will NOT rest the starters aganist my Auburn Tigers until the game is under control. The SEC Championship game is two weeks after.

Yes. I do admit that my Tigers have very little chance against bama.:(

'Sat their starters the rest of the year' is kind of strong, it would not be that drastic, but there is validity in what he is saying.
Possibly, if the word rest replaced the word sat, but in a lot of the formats I've seen the seedings (and possible early round home games) would be determined by a BCS-type format. There would still be plenty of incentive to win games down the stretch....

There is no way there would be a split champions in a playoff.

I do NOT want a playoff- not now, not ever. I am fine with the BCS.
you are in the minority

why do we need that many teams in the playoff? It works just fine in other divisions of football. D-1AA, D2, D3 all have playoffs. The teams who kicked ass during the season get a bye in the 1st round. The rest play.

Plus you make it sound like kids football. Everyone gets a medal and we dont keep score

watch some small college playoff football and ask me that question after that. I watch a LOT of small college football and these games are usually just a blast. This past Saturday I went to see a playoff game in D2. One of the funnest times I had. Sure the home team lost but dammit it was fun.

huh? like hell it will. So you mean to tell me that this week Montana, who wrapped up the big sky conference already and a #1 seed, is going to rest all their starters against Montana State? Watch the game Saturday and see because they wont.

D-1 is the only division that doesn't have one because they are too stubborn. They'd rather have a computer with some oddball ass formula that Jesus himself can't figure out decide who plays for the championship than a playoff?

Why does it work in all other divisions and sports?
Seriously, I implore you to watch a small college playoffs. Its well worth it. :)

I'll take it a step further...get rid of the BCS and go back to the old bowl system. College athletes should focus on two things:

1. Getting a quality education
2. Winning their respective division

Oh my goodness...

You must hate March Madness as well.

Sandra

There is a topic which no one really talks about surrounding a play-off, and that's the fans who will travel. Fans who travel to bowl games usually make it a week long vacation during the holidays. I wonder how it would work if teams don't know who or where they are playing until a week before the game.

There is a topic which no one really talks about surrounding a play-off, and that's the fans who will travel. Fans who travel to bowl games usually make it a week long vacation during the holidays. I wonder how it would work if teams don't know who or where they are playing until a week before the game.
Works fine for the SB and FF, not to mention conference championship games. Sometimes an event just sells itself. A college football playoff would be no different.

Another thing to consider is that the fans who go to these games are loaded. The expense of travelling is nothing to them. Die hard college football fans have to donate huge amounts of money to their school to get season tickets. The cost of travelling to bowl games is pocket change compared to how much these people spend on their team already. It's like how companies pay for luxury suites for pro teams. It's all a big write off to them. Going to one or two extra games is no big hassle. Just gas up the private jet and book a suite at the Four Seasons and you're there.

Last edited:
I am totally for the playoffs. Some of these teams are ranked high only because they only play 2 or 3 tough teams. Can you imagine of these teams had to play some of the S.E.C teams.
I think there should be only one Bowl game, make the other bowl games into playoff games. We have the Music City Bowl in Nashville, who cares if they really win it.
I think a playoff system would add great needed excitement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts