I don't want playoffs in college football

There is a topic which no one really talks about surrounding a play-off, and that's the fans who will travel. Fans who travel to bowl games usually make it a week long vacation during the holidays. I wonder how it would work if teams don't know who or where they are playing until a week before the game.
According to scenarios I've seen for playoffs, some call for the higher seeded teams to host games the first two rounds. There's your incentives to win down the stretch: home-field and more $$. The last two rounds would be neutral-site games, probably something along the line of the current BCS bowl rotation.

correct cosmo to a point. In D-IAA, D2 and DIII the only neutral game is a championship game. The rest are played at campus sites

But in D2 at least the top 8 teams (as ranked) get byes in 1st round and home games. So it does pay to win at the end (more home games)

Playoffs will destroy college football as we know it, just for the purpose of making it some kind of pretend AAA NFL.

It is a wonderful sport, as it. It was even better when the bowls all made their own deals after the season, rather than this formulastic #3SEC v. #6ACC to the Gator Bowl every year nonsense.

Man, I sure hope so. This is the only major sport in the world without a true champion. I'm tired of all the tired arguments detailing why this can't be done. HOGWASH!

WE NEED A PLAYOFF SYSTEM NOW!

I DONT watch college football for this very reason. How can any one rightfully be called a national champion with the BCS?

I'm not advocating the current system, but this is the system that was voted into place, so teams can rightfully be called a national champion.

Sandra

I'm not advocating the current system, but this is the system that was voted into place, so teams can rightfully be called a national champion.
I question the choice of the bolded word. But, you're right, a team is "called" or ordained a national champion even though they haven't earned it through a playoff system like every other level of NCAA football or every other NCAA sport.

I question the choice of the bolded word. But, you're right, a team is "called" or ordained a national champion even though they haven't earned it through a playoff system like every other level of NCAA football or every other NCAA sport.

There is a playoff system. It involves two teams. That's two more teams than there used to be in the playoffs.

Sandra

Voted by who?
5 Conferences set up the BCS, that's not even a majority of the Division 1-A conferences or schools.

The NCAA doesn't even recognize the BCS winner as a champion in it's record books.

So what do we have now? 6 undefeated teams? Yeah, we don't need a playoff system.:rolleyes:

After what Boise St. did to Oklahoma a couple of years back, nobody can tell me that they don't deserve a chance here. Same goes for TCU and Univ. of Cincinnati. This may be the year that the outrage finally gets us what we want - a real playoff system for the future years.

Agreed. In fact all the teams in the top 8 really have a chance.
I thought you'd like the current system. It lets Florida schedule Charleston Southern and Florida International and still convince people that they're good. If there were a real playoff I'd be betting hard against Florida to win it.

I thought you'd like the current system. It lets Florida schedule Charleston Southern and Florida International and still convince people that they're good. If there were a real playoff I'd be betting hard against Florida to win it.

I was first to question FLAS schedule even before the season started. However being the defending champions and returning the majority of the team, certainly justifies the pre-season number 1 spot. They have done everything right all season long and have certainly proved why they deserve it so far. Going undefeated in the SEC is not a cake walk. Also they routed all their cupcakes.

We will find out on Dec 6 just how good they are. Then in Jan we will find out if they deserve to be called champions again.

I am really 100% for the play off systems I hate having doubts, which team really deserved it.

So what do we have now? 6 undefeated teams? Yeah, we don't need a playoff system.:rolleyes:

After what Boise St. did to Oklahoma a couple of years back, nobody can tell me that they don't deserve a chance here. Same goes for TCU and Univ. of Cincinnati. This may be the year that the outrage finally gets us what we want - a real playoff system for the future years.

:up:up

For you folks who dont want a playoff, I wish you could see the Montana/South Dakota State game today.

two words...GOOD LORD
That game was insane :)

Montana....the #1 seed overall playing SDSU which was ranked I think 12 or 13 but due to travel cost it was easier to have them go to Missoula than a team from Texas or East.

anywho....SDSU blew them out the door for 3 quarters....SDSU up 48-27 after 3. Anyone who turned off that game is probably kicking themselves right now

Montana scores 34 unanswered points in the 4th quarter and wins 61-48. Like the announcer said when Montana was down by 7 and driving
"For those 1A/FBS schools who can't have a playoff system like we do, I feel sorry for you"

Damn that was a fun game to watch :)

The Montana Grizzlies looked nothing like the top-seeded team in the nation for most of the first three quarters against the South Dakota State Jackrabbits Saturday in Missoula, Mont.

They looked every bit the part in the final 21 minutes of the game though, when the Griz scored 40 unanswered points to post a 61-48 victory in a Football Championship Subdivision first round playoff game. The comeback is Montana’s biggest in playoff history.

The Grizzlies found themselves down 27 points with 5:40 to go in the third quarter. Marc Mariani returned the ensuing kickoff 98-yards for a touchdown, tied for the third-longest kickoff return in school history. The extra point was no good, but the comeback was on.

The Griz defense forced a punt, and the Griz drove 79 yards in 3:05 to score when Mariani caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from Andrew Selle to narrow the gap to 48-34 with 14:56 left in the fourth. Mariani had a key 38-yard catch to the SDSU 31-yard line in the drive to set up the score.

Montana followed that up with two Chase Reynolds 1-yard touchdown runs on drives of 66 and 52 yards to tie the game with 4:11 left.

The defense served up another three-and-out, and the offense again answered the call, moving 41 yards down the field on the shell-shocked Jack defense to score the go-ahead touchdown, a 4-yard Selle-to-Mariani strike.

The Griz defense was dominant in the fourth quarter, and sealed the win a pair of timely interceptions. The first came when Alex Shaw deflected a Thomas O’Brien pass that Severin Campbell picked off at the SDSU 32 and took to the house. The extra point was blocked by Skyler Luxa, but 61-48 wound up holding up as the final score when Trumaine Johnson picked off an O’Brien desperation pass in the end zone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)