I dumped DirecTV for Dish

Hell Raiser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Well after over a year of BS rumors that new HD content will be available soon, I waited , waited and waited. Now we are to get local HD content next? Well I can get all my local content OTA!

Dish gave me a sweet deal $299 + $49 credit and their Total package for 6 months with Voom for $67/month ! A 942 and 625 unit!

Bye bye to rumors and broken promises from DirecTV ! Hello Dish I can't wait.

Oh BTW anyone want to purchase my DTV equipment Newest Samsung HD unit, SD TIVO, and 2 RCA SD units?

How are these units? (942 and 625) Any good? How far is the range for the 2nd TV's?

Thanks for your comments in advance! I am excited to be a Dish sub and new Voomer!

Hell Raiser said:
Bye bye to rumors and broken promises from DirecTV ! Hello Dish I can't wait.
Hehe, you're a comedy gold mine. Still does the Picture Quality look noticabley different with Dish?

Well let's look at the facts! Even in this forum if you go back a year or better you will see all these so called insidres stating .."oh new HD coming to DirecTV very soon .. bla bla bla"

Well thinking these sources of these rumors might very well be true I waited and damn waited over a year.. Nothing but crap! Dish here I come and bye bye to D!

" Still does the Picture Quality look noticabley different with Dish?"
I just switched from Dish to Direct last week. SD pic quality is similar with both, fair to bad. With local networks, DISH, at least in my case, looked slightly better, though overall, both are closer to a worn out vhs than anything else. Maybe I could say that DISH looks slightly less krappy? One local on Direct looks really horrible, similar to what out of range stations look like, with snow.Luckily, I get ota hdtv, so I don't care.

Hell Raiser have you heard the phrase "out of the frying pan into the fire" congratulations, you have some of DISH finest CRAP.

hellraiser, I have heard many good reports on these units, I have the 625 and it works great, I have had two shows not record, but my wife set them up so who knows for sure if it was done right. I personally dont have experience with the 942 but I have read many good reports. also I have had directv, Time warner cable, and now dish, I can tell you I am very happy with dish network, so enjoy! I hear there are many exciting things coming to us hopefully this fall, def. first part of the year, but we will know soon as Rainbow 1 is going to be under dishnetworks control I believe in 12 days

dish

dish is not perfect, but it seems to be the best there is right now. you will love the 942. get the fewest possible channels of sd and the most hd. good luck

Congrats on the move to Dish.

Dish certainly is not perfect, but they are pretty darn good and moving in the right direction. The picture quality can't be beat by cable or Direct, the 942 HD-DVR is glorious and leasable, and you can get quickly to technical support (vs. regular customer support) by pressing "3" on their phone tree.

I've always been polite and resonable in my discussions with Dish and I have almost always gotten what I wanted from them.

They are trying to get their bandwidth improved (as is everyone else) to offer more HD content. We'll see if they can stay on top (isn't competition in the free enterprise system fun to watch?).

Again, congrats. You're gonna LOVE that 942.

Hellraiser, any info on how you got this deal? Did you just call to subscribe and they offered you this? I'm thinking about switching from DirectTV and a deal like that is certainly enticing.

Also by "their Total package" do you mean the Americas everything package, and was the total cost to you, including installation $299.

Any clairification would be helpful. Thanks.

DirecTV is TV from Hell!

Hey,

Thanks to everyone on their thoughts and experiences with the 942 and 625.
I am very happy to be with Dish they even called 3 times in the last 3 days to make sure everthing is on time and on target.

I got the deal doing it right on line here ---> https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/builddish/prepCustomerEntrance.do

but now it seems to be gone! oh well perhaps if you call you can get the deal? I got the 942, just arrived today. Install to take place on Thursday with the 625 and the rest. 180 everything with locals $67 for the first 6 months includes the hd pack and voom channels.

After 5 years with DirecTV I am not looking back.. rumors are rumors but when you want HD content go with Dish!!
I don't give a flying fluck what these so called moron rumor mill idiots keep saying because in the end thats all it is garbage, perhaps they signed on for 5 years well I can't wait that long.

Hell Raiser said:
After 5 years with DirecTV I am not looking back.. rumors are rumors but when you want HD content go with Dish!!
I don't give a flying fluck what these so called moron rumor mill idiots keep saying because in the end thats all it is garbage, perhaps they signed on for 5 years well I can't wait that long.

That's today, wonder what the picture will look like in 3 or 4 months? I had D* and switched to E* since they were the HD leader. They had Showtime-HD, D* didn't. They had a full time PPV-HD channel, D* didn't. So I spent over $1K buying all the hardware, 6000+8VSB, Dish500/ Dish 300 and SW64 (no deals for HD back then). A few months later D* added Showtime HD plus the two HD Net Channels and made the PPV-HD channel full time dropping the demo channel. I hope your move to the HD leaded doesn't back fire on you.

David Dietzel said:
Dish certainly is not perfect, but they are pretty darn good and moving in the right direction. The picture quality can't be beat by cable or Direct, ...

You gotta be kidding. At least for some cable systems. I have had Dish and Adelphia, and I can tell you that at least here in this part of VA, for SD, cable is so much superior in picture quality. Hands down.

I know there are terrible cable systems out there. So yes, the comparison can vary.

I imagine that MPEG-4 (and any new satellite capacity) may change all that. Satellite could come out on top ... if they want to.

I have Adelphia as well and am in the process of adding Dish. I can't speak to the PQ of the SD channels compared with Dish yet (Adelphia's HD PQ is very good) but I can say that we still have about 100 basic channels in analog which has terrible PQ and sound quality. To the extent that you watch these channels frequently, I would think that an all digital package is preferred.

Interesting, Hell Raiser.

But now that DirecTV is offering its HD TiVo for $299, and giving long-time customers at least a $100 MIR and $150 in programming credits, and $2 for HBO and Showtime for six months plus free installation and a new dish, what do you think the value of your old DirecTV equipment is?

That's great for all you D* guys but I think personally Dish still comes out on top of the game. I have 1 rec. and it's a 942. I'm loving it everytime I use it. Couldn't imagine ever switching back to Dish. Oh and by the way the Voom channels are an excellent Value as well. And also love having TNTHD. They are showing some siriously killer movies like Lord of the Rings just to throw one out there. Congrats on signing with Dish!! I think you'll be HD satisfied!

Bottom line, for the here and now you'll have alot more HD channels with Dish and you wont have to deal with that S L O W as molasses HD Tivo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts