I envy u guys!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

drew2005

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
I live in the northwest of the US so I don't get much hockey games that aren't blacked out (actually I don't think I get any). And I love hockey. Plus I love Canada & Canadian tv. I keep telling myself that i'll eventually get the money and buy a *C receiver and dish (I can't get BEV out here, and i hear it's better) . but I haven't yet done it. I have already talked to some ppl (multiple times) about how it's done, so thats not why i'm posting. I just wanna know, other than the hockey games, is getting *C worth it? How hard/easy was it for you to sign up for it and manually point the dish? Do they have good programming? Is there any other Canada-lovers out there that could give me their opinions on *C? What are some good Canadian-made shows that I wouldn't normally see in the US or would only rarely see in the US? In your opinion is Space (Canadian channel) better than Sci-fi (US channel)?

I know, they're weird questions :p but i'm a weird person. Thanx in advance for all your replies.

drew2005 said:
How hard/easy was it for you to sign up for it and manually point the dish? Do they have good programming? Is there any other Canada-lovers out there that could give me their opinions on *C? What are some good Canadian-made shows that I wouldn't normally see in the US or would only rarely see in the US? In your opinion is Space (Canadian channel) better than Sci-fi (US channel)?

I know, they're weird questions :p but i'm a weird person. Thanx in advance for all your replies.
I have EV, so I can only comment on the Canadian programming

I do not like Space...it seems to be a very cheap version of Sci-Fi.

I do prefer the Canadian Satellite because the Movie Netowrk/Movie Central are much a better value than the American pay channels. They show all the movies from all of the American movie channels as welll as the original HBO and Showtime programming.

There are a few Canadian shows that you propbably never see on American TV, such as Corner Gas, there are also lots of CBC programs and documentaries.

I love the time shifting. When you get the Canadian locals, you get at least one set of locals from every time zone, including Atlantic. You, being in the Northwest, would be able to watch shows before they come on the local channels in your area. Even people on the East Coast can catch some shows on the Atlantic time zone channels and watch them before they are broadcast in their area.

I'll just add that due to popular demand in our household, we added a 2nd SC receiver. With our OTA setup + SC Digital Advantage package; we are watching very little on DTV. The PQ is better on SC than DTV, so everyone wanted to watch A&E, CNN, etc on the tv that the SC receiver was hooked up to. So now both of our tvs have access to SC. BBC World has become 1 of the top 5 channels here.

I will be logging our TV habits over the winter as I may just give TMN a look for a couple of months. If it does carry most of whats on HBO/Starz/Showtime, I will drop DTV altogether as those seem to be the only channels we watch on DTV.

Sounds like for the most part *C is a good deal. Some day (probably within the year) I will get *C, and probably get rid of E* all together! my friends/guests might be a little confused or interested as to why my programming is so different when they come over, but thats all the more fun. All of my friends have only basic or extended basic cable, so maybe getting this will help show them the way to satellite tv, or better yet, Canadian satellite tv. :) right now they are so familiar with having basic cable that they'll just pick the first show that they recognize from my guide instead of looking around to find something better, even if they don't particularly like the show. :rolleyes:

Remember......There are many disadvantages with Canadian TV!!

The Comedy Network does not show the current season of South Park, they are always a season behind. MONK is always a couple of months behind. Although The Movie Network/Movie Central might show the same programs as the American services, they tend to show them later.

Also, I'm reall not sure as to what happens when equipment geos bad. With E*, you can get it fixed through them. If you have a grey market subscription, you might just have to buy a new receiver, if your breaks.I would be afraid to purchase a HD DVR for that reason.

Yea, I have heard that the seasons are a little behind, but thats only a slight disadvantage for someone who doesn't mind watching old episodes and waiting for a new season. Hockey would be worth it, and so would the few Canadian shows that I couldn't get on a US service or only get very little. I watch South Park every now and then, but I don't care for MONK. As far as my true local channels, I could care less, they have the worst schedule I have ever seen and have very amateur-looking news coverage.

As far as repairs go, i've never had problems with any of my TV equipment and I tend to overprotect my expensive things so I don't think i'll have much problems, even if I do I could just get a new receiver without a new dish, doesn't cost too much.

I, for one, will never ever give up my starchoice system.. It has become the central and integral part of my home theatre system.. even over the digital cable I get for free from my employeer...

The grass is always greener...

Giving up on BEV that easily?
See the stickie above on what you'd miss on the one BEV bird (assuming you really can't get it)

If you read through the posts, the StarChoice aiming is quite a bit more tricky than for BEV.
If you've done a half dozen alignments on BEV/Dish/Direct, you probably won't have a problem.
For any self-install, bring a $20 satellite signal strength meter, decent compass, and a level (or a $2-5 inclinometer).

To mis-quote an old saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the border".
I wouldn't normally trash Canadian TV in a Canadian forum, but since you are apparently asking...
I watched BEV for about a year, as a suppliment to an ongoing subscription with Dish.
I found that a lot of the main entertainment channels were pretty much the same.
BEV carries a lot of redundant Canadian local channels, which all have the same network feed at any given time.
Yes, there are some American networks that are time shifted, but since I got them on my regular Dish subscription, and used a PVR, they were unimportant (to me).
I did enjoy the extra choices and channels to comb through.
Certainly nothing wrong with having more! ;)

I would say if you are moving from nothing to either Canadian satellite service, you'll be overwhelmed for the first year.
If you are going from Direct or Dish to Bev/SC, and dropping your home subscription, you'll miss what you lost.
Straddling the border is the only way to really decide what you like best.
Keep Dish/DTV when you get BEV/SC, and then tell us. ;)

And the Space Channel was one of my personal favorites.
If you like Sci Fi, I don't see how you can not like Space.
But you really need both.
Space has some older material you may want to see again (or have missed the first time around).
It won't be quite as up to date as Sci Fi for what it does carry, and won't carry everything you'll find on Sci Fi.

Lot of the admins here have both North and South programming.
They'll have a different perspective, depending on their tastes.
Get IceBerg to tell you why he has both, and what he watches.

Anole said:
Get IceBerg to tell you why he has both, and what he watches.

I have SC and Dish (just locals on Dish though). Use to have ExpressVu

Why do I have it? simple...hockey and the CBC
Why did I get rid of ExpressVu? They ain't called CompressVu for nothing. If you like Dish, you'll love Evu. They both are compressed pretty bad. SC doesnt compress as much. Also, EVu switched their packages to be pretty bad (compared to the old ones) and I was screwed...so I switched

Starchoice has a 3 day guide, EVu 44 hours
EVu has more HD..but alot is upconverts

They do have lots of Canadian networks (lots of CBC's and CTV) but some of these are affiliates, so shows are on a different day or time. Some programming is on a day earlier :)

What are some good Canadian-made shows that I wouldn't normally see in the US or would only rarely see in the US
trailer park boys. First time I saw it, I almost pissed my pants. Very funny show :)

Probably not applicable to yourself, but some South of the border use *C or BEV for RobTV and monitoring Canadian investments and the economy.

However, TPB would be reason enough to subscribe, can't wait for the next season.

icstephen said:
OMG....me too I love that show, Bubbles kills me

Some of the stuff he says is classic.
The barbeque episode when he built the "double decker barbeque" and "would like to see that Red Blue Green C---sucker try to build one of them with duct tape."

same episode-after Ricky got sprayed with mace
"Ricky. What happened to your eyes? You look like Alice Cooper" :)

caught the show when it was on freeview and now I wish I had it (might be changin packages to get it) :D

6 posts to 10K :)

The entire cast of TPB is excellent. Far and away my favorite TV show. When BBCA showed seasons 1 and 2 but bleeped out the language it was still the best show on US television.

"Aboot" 20 of us are going to charter a bus to windsor on opening day of the movie.

I like Lucy's new rack, but Sara is hotter!

Bubbs- "Leave him alone! He's pullin his goalie!"

the line that killed me was when bubbles rode up on his go cart and a drunk leihe (sp?) told him to hand over the keys and bubbles replies "it don't have keys its like a lawnmower" which in and of itself isn't that funny of a line but to hear him say it put me on the floor.

I remember the one when they cut the power and were caught selling weed.

Beginning with a countdown for the power being cut off...ending with switching of the house numbers..having a line of "NEVER trust a man with no shirt on!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)