I feel gypped!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dtgoodtonid

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Lexington KY
I have had Dish for over 19 years. I have always had the 250 package. Many times over the years Dish has had free previews. I think the one I saw this morning was for Animal Planet. The problem I have is that the Top 250, with the exception of the premium channels, already has the channels being previewed. We don't get free previews. Everyone gets the premium channel free previews. By the way, I have zero interest in HBO, etc. That's just me.

So, this morning I decided to follow up on my thoughts for free previews for those of us, however many millions, who have the 250 package.

I have no idea how many channels Dish must be constantly considering to add to the lineup. Why not let live viewers figure into the process? I realize there is probably a focus group that does this but it has to be a relatively small group. I think it would be cool to get a look at some of the possibilities and maybe somehow influence the decision makers. Seems like it would be a nice reward for subscribing to the top tier, how do the Everything subscribers feel?, and have a possible vote for new channels. HD ONLY by the way!

Anyway, that's my thought and I appreciate having a place to share.

You do understand I hope, that free previews are a marketing tool used to entice people with lesser packages to upgrade to one that includes the previewed channel. That you already subscribe to a package that includes that channel is really irrelevant to that effort since you're not the target market.

The problem I have is that the Top 250, with the exception of the premium channels, already has the channels being previewed.
Maybe you could approach Dish and ask for a credit on your bill for the periods over the last 19 years that channels to which you were already subscribed were previewed for free to those who did not, with an agreement going forward that you'd be credited for future previews as well. That way you'd be compensated for not receiving any value from the free previews.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
As a 250 subscriber, I do understand the feeling, but then I keep in mind that the previews are only for ONE MONTH, and I view and record quite a bit from some of the 250's, so I am getting the value by having several timers, and often view LIVE my favorite 250's every day of the year, so I don't feel so cheated.

But previews also affect the 200 people as those are in preview rotation, as well. I can't blame Dish or any other company for this tactic of free preview, just so long as it is not one channel previewed too often per year.

Oh, I would say we don't necessarily need NEW HD channels, but that all the ones that are currently SD only, should be provided in HD--if those channels are provided in HD to the MVPDs.

Yes, especially when the TV Channel adjusts it's programming for the month or week, for the Free Preview. a lot of times showing repeats of it's show's or movies. But of course the decision for Free Preview is from the TV channel and not from Dish or whatever provider.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)