I found a flaw in the Individual Location Longley-Rice (“ILLR”) for Vermont at least

jmcgee_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I went to directv site again to see about distant networks (kinda bored here at work today) and when I put in my address I get 2 elegible 2 not. ABC which is broadcasted from 75 miles away and going btw about 3 decent sized mtn ranges says I can get a A strength LOL. For one the A i could never get that I even verified this via email from the engineer from ABC in manchester NH. Now heres wehre it gets funky if I put in a address that is the next house down from me on another road. about 500ft away he looses the ABC for eleigibility. Theres no way in gods friggen green ass earth that can be. Im about 20ft higher on the ground and yet were still seperated by the same set of mtn's right behind us on the way to the station. ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
There are known errors in Longly Rice. If you run the full version, the errors pop up when the terrain does funky things in the near field. The errors are clearly shown in the full version, but are ignored in antennaweb and DirecTV.

jmcgee_jr said:
I went to directv site again to see about distant networks (kinda bored here at work today) and when I put in my address I get 2 elegible 2 not. ABC which is broadcasted from 75 miles away and going btw about 3 decent sized mtn ranges says I can get a A strength LOL. For one the A i could never get that I even verified this via email from the engineer from ABC in manchester NH. Now heres wehre it gets funky if I put in a address that is the next house down from me on another road. about 500ft away he looses the ABC for eleigibility. Theres no way in gods friggen green ass earth that can be. Im about 20ft higher on the ground and yet were still seperated by the same set of mtn's right behind us on the way to the station. ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ever see a grade b signal curvature map?..They are the goofiest things...My understanding is they were made back in the 40's.....
They are still in use to deterrmine whether an area is in a tv stations reception area..BTW the stations had sole discression in drawing the maps....What does that tell ya?.
Basically it owuld take an act of congress to get a tv station waiver.They guard their viewership numbers fiercely......IMO the whole thing is crap...i think if we are willing to pay, we should be able to watch locals from anywhere we wish....IMO

When I heard that D* HD nets were available, I ran some addresses. Found the same GARBAGE - also with ABC.

Me thinks the ABC affiliates are all liars, but one thing for sure:
KRDO SUCKS

jmcgee_jr said:

I'm about 15 miles from Jim and found the same garbage. It's never been correct for this area. Heck, the antennaweb.org has never been correct for my area either - even after I've emailed them.

It's like the local weather report when they tell you it's sunny out but you can look out the window and see the snow. Well they say I can receive the networks but I can look out my window and see the friggen mountains between thee and me !!!:mad:

yOU KNOW i AM almost to a point where I wish I didnt have a big screen LCD and a upconverted DVD player and blah blah blah. Either that or I wish I hadnt left phoenix. I am so frustrated wtih the HD here in vt. I just can friggen win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at the point I just don't give a damn anymore! Wish I hadn't discovered HD. Wish I hadn't bought my HD set. Screw the FCC, Congress, All major cable & Sat CO's, & all the networks! Will soon be going back to a 13" B&W set, and renting DVD's for the color set!!!

Jimmy J said:
I'm at the point I just don't give a damn anymore! Wish I hadn't discovered HD. Wish I hadn't bought my HD set. Screw the FCC, Congress, All major cable & Sat CO's, & all the networks! Will soon be going back to a 13" B&W set, and renting DVD's for the color set!!!

You think you're frustrated now? It's probably just a matter of time before "E" launchs the other 3 national nets in HD and then we'll get to hear how we don't qualify cuz we're not in an O&O area:mad: . As I said in another thread, it would be nice if this forum would get behind helping those of us that truely can't get OTA digital to be allowed to get the HD DNS when they arrive.

Wait a second walt. Since according to the LILR we can only get CBS (ABC but not really) via OTA since we cant get FOX and NBC cant we pay the 1.50 and get the HD versions of the network feeds? If Im wrong let me know. I was under the assumption that we could just like with the CBS feed. I do have a email from the manchester NH ABC affiliate that for some reason LILR thinks I can get and the system engineer there said that if for some reason dish wont work with us on the obvious screw up with the LILR they would give me a waiver no questions asked.

So...what the hell are those of us who aren't in an O&O market, and can't get crap via an off air antenna supposed to do? DISH, FCC, CONGRESS, NETS???

I'm at zip 05773. 70+ miles from Burlington's towers on MT. Mansfield, and 70+ miles from the towers in the Albany NY area. I'm in a valley, surrounded by mountains, can't get crap OTA digital or analog.

I could care less if it was local HD networks or national, I'd pay the extra 1.50 per network per month as long as the choice WAS available!!!

jmcgee_jr said:
Wait a second walt. Since according to the LILR we can only get CBS (ABC but not really) via OTA since we cant get FOX and NBC cant we pay the 1.50 and get the HD versions of the network feeds? If Im wrong let me know. I was under the assumption that we could just like with the CBS feed. I do have a email from the manchester NH ABC affiliate that for some reason LILR thinks I can get and the system engineer there said that if for some reason dish wont work with us on the obvious screw up with the LILR they would give me a waiver no questions asked.

First off what's this "we":D ? I have never been able to get any CBS local, analog or digital OTA, even after I invested over $500 last Summer in a good rooftop antenna with a rotor & amp. You and I are on different sides of some of those hills, so I have absolutly no shoot at any of the Burlington / Plattsburg stations. As for ABC, I wonder if the prediction model is assuming that WMTW is still on Mt Washington even though the transmitter burned down over 5 years ago?

Anyway, I don't get anything close to watchable for any Fox, ABC, UPN or WB either. The only thing I do get is WNNE-DT and the Vt & NH digital PBS stations.

From what I've read in the many threads over the last year, I was very lucky to get the NY CBS HD feed from Dish. Sure, I'm justified but I think it may have been a fluke.

The forums are filled with people that get nothing OTA but still can't get the HD DNS from "D" nor the CBS HD feed from "E".

Until the FCC comes up with a real "digital prediction model" that works, most people that can't get their digital networks OTA are not going to get them from "E" or "D" either unless they get waivers. And we know how some stations are about waivers. Then to top it off, the FCC ruled that a denial of a waiver can no longer be appealed with a signal test until there is a digital testing system in place, which is next Spring for some dmas and a year beyond that for the rest.

When I said We I meant Oui and in yes LOL. I cant get anything from the Mt Mansfield towers either and I cant get anythign from the south like you can. I might be able to get Littleton and thats about it :)