I found a free 10' BUD. Now what do i do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BiGal69

Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Hi Guys and Girls,

I have been registered here for awhile but just now found a 10' fibreglass dish with both C and Ku band LNBs, (sorry if thats not what it's called please correct me), anyway i live about 1 mile from where this dish is located and i intend to move it as a single piece. I read that you should take them apart before you move them, but since i am so close that i think i will not have as many problems finding the proper arc if i move it as a complete unit.
I have setup a 33" HH motorized offset fortec before with good results.
I know that this is way different but i still would like to try to move it as 1 piece.

The owner of the dish has a Toshiba TRX-2200 moving the dish and i saw it move and get both C and Ku band channels on several birds. Is the receiver worth $100.00. I don't want to insult him with anything lower but i do not know what it's worth and niether does he.

I would like to know if anyone has any helpfull tips on setting this dish up at my location. Will i need to reset the declination at my house? I assume that i will need to find my azimuth, but will i need to reset the elevation as well or is that not needed.

I intend to move the dish to the lowest spot of the current arc before i take it down, and i will record what sat it is on at that point and then try to re-assemble and aim at that satellte, is this a good way to do this ?

Sorry for the long post,

Thank you,

BIG-AL

keep it as one peice. No settings need to be adjusted, you could move it 40 miles and basicaly have the same settings.

If you can park the dish on one specific bird, and record the signal level on one specific TP... Then once you get it home, turn it on the pole until that channel comes in, bolt it down and you should track the arc just fine.

most of thes fiberglass dishes are monster heavy so take several people to move it . since your only moving about a mile, I will add that if this is a older dish it might have weakend with age so extream caution isa advised when moving and lying it on its side. main thing is not to get you or your friends hurt moving a heavy dish.

you can install your pole before hand or re-use the one that its mounted on. the main thing is getting this pole level & plumb

the easiest way i've moved and setup a dish is to move it to the lowest satellite ( for me thats extream west) and mark the mount with a magnetic reading from a compass ( even though you do it this way you can always remember that the mount axis always points north/south)

the toshiba 2200 in its day was the top of the line for that brand (only one higher & newer model was the TRX 2220) but with that said they aren't worth what someone paid for them years ago. they are heavy and usually cost $15-25 to ship... I've seen the units sell anywhere from $10 to 50 but it is a dish mover and that is a plus when your wanting to move a big dish. and if it doesn't come with a remote i wouldn't give anything for it ( but you might locate one for it on ebay ect )

there are many dishes here so I've never had to pay for one. but if i was to guess and it has a toshiba receiver and c/ku feedhorn i would say its worth the $100

and Welcome to the group

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)