I give up, I tried but I'm just tired of this.

We get severe audio dropouts on HBO. Other channels have audio stutters, sometimes accompanied by video distortion. It also only takes fairly light rain before we lose signal. We've had techs out numerous times, they say the signal is fine, etc. Of course, the techs never admit to knowing about any unresolved issues (such as the HBO dropout problem).

I'm also tired of it, but question whether DirecTV is any better. Before Dish, we had uverse. We got rid of that because of an ongoing audio dropout problem in 5.1 that AT&T hadn't fixed at the time after two years (not sure if they ever did).

(And given all the issues, I resent having to either pay monthly for insurance or drop $90 on a service call.)

mentsmin said:
We get severe audio dropouts on HBO. Other channels have audio stutters, sometimes accompanied by video distortion. It also only takes fairly light rain before we lose signal. We've had techs out numerous times, they say the signal is fine, etc. Of course, the techs never admit to knowing about any unresolved issues (such as the HBO dropout problem).

I'm also tired of it, but question whether DirecTV is any better. Before Dish, we had uverse. We got rid of that because of an ongoing audio dropout problem in 5.1 that AT&T hadn't fixed at the time after two years (not sure if they ever did).

(And given all the issues, I resent having to either pay monthly for insurance or drop $90 on a service call.)

If you are having signal issues related to signal strength being to low, you need a repoint.

More than likely you will lose the crappy picture and audio issues if the dish is aligned correctly. Try getting atleast 1 Service call out there to resolve this problem before you just jump ship. You might discover you are actually happy what you have if your video and audio was stable.

Chances are if you explain to the csr agent that you are thinking of switching due to this problem they may send a tech out free of charge to retain you as a cystomer. Worth a try atleast before you go and opt for a commitment with another provider (if one is required).

Not that this is you but i find it funny when i go on a service call when someone has been experiencing problems for a few months and are ready to quit, and you ask them if they have had anybody look at the problem yet, and they say no.

Then guess what, when i explain that your facia has sagged a little throwing off you signal and i have a better mount solution that this will never happen again. They suddenly are happy with service.

So i guess whatbi am saying is give it a shot one mire time, if you can get a free SC, before you bounce.

If you are having signal issues related to signal strength being to low, you need a repoint.

The thing is, they claim our numbers are good.

The first time we had someone out for the HBO dropouts, he changed a bunch of connections and swore the problem would be fixed. It wasn't, but we had a new one: TV2 no longer worked (he had accidentally reversed a splitter somehow). The next guy gave us a new receiver. It was defective. Dish sent a new one. It works, but we are getting a lot more issues with the audio stuttering than we ever did before. Again, they say the signal numbers are fine.

I'm going back to D*.

Way too many video and audio and audio dropouts.
4th receiver in the family room in a year.
DVR that drives me nuts - I miss D*'s DVR that would always stop a few seconds behind where you pressed play after FF or rewind.
Tired of the ads at the bottom of the screen when you hit some of the premium channels.
Signal is much more susceptible to rain fade than D*.

Only been with E* just over 1 year, so it's going to cost me to get out early, but after much consideration I think it's worth it.:(:(
I am sorry that this on-going issue has not been resolved. I would like to offer my assistance to review your account and see if we can get this issue addressed once and for all. Please PM me your account information and I will see what I can do! Thank you!

HBO does have an audio drop issue and it has been tracked down to their system and it is also on the Comcast feed here. If the issue you are experiencing is happening on more than that channel, please PM me you account information. Your problem is something other then the vendor signal causing the issue. please just let me know, thank you!

And DishQuality@dishnetwork.com should get a note from the OP when dropouts occur. They are VERY good. Or drop a note for one of the DIRT guys/gals (Hi Mary :) ) here to see with EXACT time/Channel/WA or EA.
Here's a prime example of dish's communication problem I'm what.. 700 posts as a user (7 months?)... I've been reading following threads, and this is probably the first time I can remember seeing anyone refer to "DishQuality@" for trouble reports on dropouts like this. Is that new? (if not you know where I'm goin' to run with it) ;)

HBO does have an audio drop issue and it has been tracked down to their system and it is also on the Comcast feed here.
And here too .. why is it the 50th thread about dropouts, that we get something back from Dish that they have finally tracked the issue down? That's not a dig on Mary (or Dish IRT) ... but a public posting forum, rather than a public bug/problem tracking site isn't getting the job done. How much longer till dish does it right?

Imagine the day, we go to Dishnetwork .. hit the Support link, and then get to look for the problem we're having, find the problem listed, and we can tick mark a "notify me" option or create a new problem report ... and when Dish posts that they've tracked a problem down, the user gets notified.

Last edited:
I am sorry that this on-going issue has not been resolved. I would like to offer my assistance to review your account and see if we can get this issue addressed once and for all. Please PM me your account information and I will see what I can do! Thank you!

4 receivers going belly up sounds like he has problem in his house. Like bad grounding as one possible problem.

Here's a prime example of dish's communication problem I'm what.. 700 posts as a user (7 months?)... I've been reading following threads, and this is probably the first time I can remember seeing anyone refer to "DishQuality@" for trouble reports on dropouts like this. Is that new? (if not you know where I'm goin' to run with it) ;)
Then you've been in the wrong threads.

Then you've been in the wrong threads.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/241365-audio-drop-outs.html ... started in January 2011 ... nearly 200 posts.. and not once in the thread, not once does "dishquality" (or capped DishQuality or with an @) come up.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ongoing-frustration-quality-dish-service.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/258356-video-stutters-freezes.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ns/184819-audio-dropout-problem-722-722k.html

There are many more out there.. when I do a search specifically for dishquality@, only then do I easily find posts with it in them .. but that's the classic Catch-22 ... like someone would know to search for email address (or part of) to find that it is a place to report stuff.. but to know to search for it you'd already know about it .. restart loop here ... (note the last link is from 2009... you were on there too, so obviously it was new to you at some point, and it boils down to knowing and reporting to people "have you reported it to dishquality@" and what format would the email take .. free form? etc)

Even if someone does come in to satguys and search, they find plenty of reports of the issue (same/similar types) repeated over & over... slight differences one to the next.. but more frequently not finding that email address in the posts.

It also doesn't diminish the fact that I can't find that email / info option at DishNetwork's site at all. (text search or by quick looking / walking through trouble shooter for audio - with two possible problems, neither suggests the address)

LER said:
And DishQuality@dishnetwork.com should get a note from the OP when dropouts occur. They are VERY good. Or drop a note for one of the DIRT guys/gals (Hi Mary :) ) here to see with EXACT time/Channel/WA or EA.

I have both dish and Direc. I have had audio dropouts on both systems.
To claim one is better than the other in this regard is just not accurate.
When I had uverse, they also had audio
Dropouts.
No system is without flaws.

I have to say Dish got a lot better on this problem, it used to happen all the time. Lately it happens so few and far between I couldn't tell you the last time it happen.
Watch now that I said something. :eek:

I'll have very occasional audio dropouts in an HD recording for a movie or concert, but that's maybe one moment in an entire recording. Dish's DVR (625 or 722k) has been almost ridiculously without problems. I had to check switch one time.

Dish's problems are local RSN's, HD for sports packages, and an accounting system that is run by chickens pecking at keys. Everything else is brilliant with Dish.

HBO does have an audio drop issue and it has been tracked down to their system and it is also on the Comcast feed here. If the issue you are experiencing is happening on more than that channel, please PM me you account information. Your problem is something other then the vendor signal causing the issue. please just let me know, thank you!

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the drops are limited to HBO. Can you offer a theory as to what generally causes the stutters? Are those often channel specific? (I watched tennis for a few hours yesterday and never heard any issues, but HGTV and Food Network often seem to stutter for us).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/241365-audio-drop-outs.html ... started in January 2011 ... nearly 200 posts.. and not once in the thread, not once does "dishquality" (or capped DishQuality or with an @) come up.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ongoing-frustration-quality-dish-service.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/258356-video-stutters-freezes.html
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ns/184819-audio-dropout-problem-722-722k.html

There are many more out there.. when I do a search specifically for dishquality@, only then do I easily find posts with it in them .. but that's the classic Catch-22 ... like someone would know to search for email address (or part of) to find that it is a place to report stuff.. but to know to search for it you'd already know about it .. restart loop here ... (note the last link is from 2009... you were on there too, so obviously it was new to you at some point, and it boils down to knowing and reporting to people "have you reported it to dishquality@" and what format would the email take .. free form? etc)

Even if someone does come in to satguys and search, they find plenty of reports of the issue (same/similar types) repeated over & over... slight differences one to the next.. but more frequently not finding that email address in the posts.

It also doesn't diminish the fact that I can't find that email / info option at DishNetwork's site at all. (text search or by quick looking / walking through trouble shooter for audio - with two possible problems, neither suggests the address)

Yep been there done that. Not only that Matt has asked what time & what show. But it has been very random. Several have done it from here and I think that is what helped them to isolate that it is the source to them. I'm speculating here but I think it is the the relatively new encoders that they rushed into installing from Tandberg. Sorry you didn't know about dish quality but many will not put together a full email address on the site so that spambots can't easily capture it.

Yep I have used dishquality at least twice to fix a local channel issue. In my time of being here I've seen it referenced to quite a bit, though not so much recently.

Yep been there done that. Not only that Matt has asked what time & what show. But it has been very random. Several have done it from here and I think that is what helped them to isolate that it is the source to them. I'm speculating here but I think it is the the relatively new encoders that they rushed into installing from Tandberg. Sorry you didn't know about dish quality but many will not put together a full email address on the site so that spambots can't easily capture it.

Yep I have used dishquality at least twice to fix a local channel issue. In my time of being here I've seen it referenced to quite a bit, though not so much recently.

It really seems to come down to the "sticky" notices ... though it shouldn't be that way here at SatGuys maybe.. more like a section off the main a forum with support info (locked) Dish Contacts, Directv Contacts, etc.. trouble shooting steps.. something that is a common area, people can get to.. steps can be reviewed by many, voted for correctness, completeness, then locked so that replies aren't posted.. first click into the thread gives you the details needed ...

then we start posts for troubles with ... "did you check out these threads to trouble shoot the problem?" and thus solves or futher proves OP's have done some things ...

and of course all of this is how a tech support option *should* be run.. right Dish? ;) obviously because dish actually wants to waste time on the little things.. or doesn't want customers to call in preparred with what they've done to resolve the problem they see.. As the great homer would say "...I was being sarcastic"

I mean its just that it seems Dish does everything it can to MAKE the customer actually call them .. no bug track site, most of the support how to stuff is trivial if that... and the customer has no other resource than to search the internet for help ... (sling support still abysmal ... yesterday before my "strange email" panic.. the support guy from Twitter was trying to tell me that just by hooking up ethernet to the 722k I would be able to stream content *from* the box just not live tv ... the only thing I could think of is the guy was thinking VOD with ethernet but thats *to* the box not from it as we were trying yet again to investigate the TV1 starts playing DVR event when using Dish Online)

DIRT, will you give the tech info on what the HBO audio dropout problem is? I am curious. Reason being, I never experience it. Maybe I don't watch enough HBO, but my audio is always good to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)