I got my first skyway install in today!!!!

apsc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Florida
I was totally amazed that it performed as well as the Hughesnet 7000.
I have lots of Hughes experience and almost ten total years in this business.
This system was awesome if your having skyway problems you probably need a professional install!!!!!!! As for me seeing is the final answer i'm gonna promote Skyway. Contact me if you need a professional install in the panhandle of Florida.:)

As a current HN7000S customer and former dial-return owner - I find that just a bit naive. Were you around in 2002 when two-way hit the streets? Or did you miss the mass migration of folks abandoning their one-way systems for the new "always on" two-way? Or is this just shill work?

It astounds me that you would even consider the two on the same playing field. I have the ProPlus plan, Hughes 3rd cheapest rate plan ($80/mo). To get a comparable download cap (1.5Mb), you'd have to buy Skyway's top of the line plan (also $80/mo). Mine has adaptive inroute capability in excess of 200k (upload). Skyway is limited to whatever your analog telephone modem will support, which is v92 capped at 44k anyway. Skyway has to wait for dial-up side to sync with the network. Every time. My HN7000S is always on. 24/7. In fact, the very few rain-fade outages I experience are generally shorter than the time it takes for some dialup modems just to connect. Skyway has an unpredictable RUP. Hughes has a published limit, and provides a near-real-time hourly usage report. Skyway has a (cheap) proprietary LNB and feedhorn. (Many) Hughes outdoor systems accept universal type replacement LNBs and feedhorns. HughesNet installers must be certified, their installations subject to audit. Any cowboy with a pickup and a ladder can throw up a Skyway system. Far as I can tell, there's no installation oversight at all with SkyWay.

Last month we had a major ice storm here, some folks still don't have their power back. When the power lines came down, so did the cable and telephone lines. Cell tower battery banks died. There was no telephone service, no dialup service, no cable modems, no DSL, and many OTA television stations were down too. I lost cell phone service too, but not internet or TV. Ran both the HN7000S and DirecTV DVR on generator the whole time. Neighbors all have dialup, they came to me to get their email out. Folks in town with no cable modem or DSL service, came out in 4wd vehicles to send email to friends and family. I also ordered emergency storm supplies over the 'net, that were delivered as soon as the roads were safe for UPS and FedEx. Area stores were still locked up with no power. None of that could have happened if I had a Skyway system.

Don't exactly know why, but I'm sure Skyway dialup has its place in this market. It must, or they'd have gone outa business years ago. I'm guessing it's limited to those who simply can't afford the lowest two-way monthly rate plans. But to describe Skyway as an equal to a properly installed HN7000S system - is just plain silly.

//greg//

Last edited:
Skyway benefits - cheaper hardware, can be self installed and moved without professional installation required, cheaper basic packages

Skyway cons - even though it's basic package is cheaper, the speeds are also much less than two-way basic package speeds, ties up your phone line, the packages with higher speeds cost just as much if not more than two-way systems which makes me wonder why someone would bother getting Skyway unless they are on a budget.

I installed the first Direc pc 2 way SRS in Florida

As a current HN7000S customer and former dial-return owner - I find that just a bit naive. Were you around in 2002 when two-way hit the streets? Or did you miss the mass migration of folks abandoning their one-way systems for the new "always on" two-way? Or is this just shill work?

It astounds me that you would even consider the two on the same playing field. I have the ProPlus plan, Hughes 3rd cheapest rate plan ($80/mo). To get a comparable download cap (1.5Mb), you'd have to buy Skyway's top of the line plan (also $80/mo). Mine has adaptive inroute capability in excess of 200k (upload). Skyway is limited to whatever your analog telephone modem will support, which is v92 capped at 44k anyway. Skyway has to wait for dial-up side to sync with the network. Every time. My HN7000S is always on. 24/7. In fact, the very few rain-fade outages I experience are generally shorter than the time it takes for some dialup modems just to connect. Skyway has an unpredictable RUP. Hughes has a published limit, and provides a near-real-time hourly usage report. Skyway has a (cheap) proprietary LNB and feedhorn. (Many) Hughes outdoor systems accept universal type replacement LNBs and feedhorns. HughesNet installers must be certified, their installations subject to audit. Any cowboy with a pickup and a ladder can throw up a Skyway system. Far as I can tell, there's no installation oversight at all with SkyWay.

Last month we had a major ice storm here, some folks still don't have their power back. When the power lines came down, so did the cable and telephone lines. Cell tower battery banks died. There was no telephone service, no dialup service, no cable modems, no DSL, and many OTA television stations were down too. I lost cell phone service too, but not internet or TV. Ran both the HN7000S and DirecTV DVR on generator the whole time. Neighbors all have dialup, they came to me to get their email out. Folks in town with no cable modem or DSL service, came out in 4wd vehicles to send email to friends and family. I also ordered emergency storm supplies over the 'net, that were delivered as soon as the roads were safe for UPS and FedEx. Area stores were still locked up with no power. None of that could have happened if I had a Skyway system.

Don't exactly know why, but I'm sure Skyway dialup has its place in this market. It must, or they'd have gone outa business years ago. I'm guessing it's limited to those who simply can't afford the lowest two-way monthly rate plans. But to describe Skyway as an equal to a properly installed HN7000S system - is just plain silly.

//greg//

2002 That was a Direc Pc SRS satellite return system with a 4000 modems send and receive they were usb connection they worked great until the 7000 and 6000
now the birds the satellites bandwidth is over extended and they suck!!!!!
My coment was that little cheap Skyway system out performs the HN7000
and 6000 I've installed thousands and worked on them now the new HN9000
is a different story since it is Hughes dedicated bird and not leased bandwidth.
Trust me i did'nt just start this business yesterday.:cool: OH YEAH I GUESS I'M JUST SILLY CONSIDERING I RANKED NUMBER 80 IN THE NATION AS A HUGHESNET INSTALLER IN 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T DISPUTE THE FACT THAT HUGHES IS STILL A GOOD SYSTEM NO POWER WITH A GENERATOR OH WELL I'VE STILL GOT INTERNET. I KNOW

My coment was that little cheap Skyway system out performs the HN7000
Your blighted opinion of HughesNet pretty much describes satellite internet in general. But performance claims published on Skyway's own website make yours a technically unsupportable "coment". First you claimed "it performed as well as". And in the space of two posts it now surprisingly "out performs". I've got no ax to grind with either you or Skyway. But you simply can't fight fact with opinion.

//greg//

I have seen so many disgusted Hughe customers

Your blighted opinion of HughesNet pretty much describes satellite internet in general. But performance claims published on Skyway's own website make yours a technically unsupportable "coment". First you claimed "it performed as well as". And in the space of two posts it now surprisingly "out performs". I've got no ax to grind with either you or Skyway. But you simply can't fight fact with opinion.

//greg//

I did at one point think Hughes was the ticket. I've seen so many Hughes customers that could'nt get them to send a technician for a month with a bad transmitter they were absolutely irate. I'm saying I'm not so biased anymore towards a one way system thats cheaper that appears to be extremely effective. Now if you want to spend 70.00 dollars a month plus 399.00 for the system and pay an additional 125.00 for a pole mount that no one told you about until the technician got there. Well Knock yourself out but these are hard times and money is tight. My comment was Skyway seem to do as well as the HN7000 at one point i would'nt even discuss a one way system but on a two way system with a one watt transmitter 22,300 miles up 22,300 miles down and then back to you even at the speed of light there is some latency with Hughes if your uploading large files then you need a two way system.
but if your not then why go the expensive route? What I'm saying is its your option but skyway installed properly appears to work just fine. But you be the judge besides that what do i know i've just installed them all!!!!!!!

I did at one point think Hughes was the ticket. I've seen so many Hughes customers that could'nt get them to send a technician for a month with a bad transmitter they were absolutely irate. I'm saying I'm not so biased anymore towards a one way system thats cheaper that appears to be extremely effective. Now if you want to spend 70.00 dollars a month plus 399.00 for the system and pay an additional 125.00 for a pole mount that no one told you about until the technician got there. Well Knock yourself out but these are hard times and money is tight. My comment was Skyway seem to do as well as the HN7000 at one point i would'nt even discuss a one way system but on a two way system with a one watt transmitter 22,300 miles up 22,300 miles down and then back to you even at the speed of light there is some latency with Hughes if your uploading large files then you need a two way system.
but if your not then why go the expensive route? What I'm saying is its your option but skyway installed properly appears to work just fine. But you be the judge besides that what do i know i've just installed them all!!!!!!!

Now i've said my piece and you've said yours i consider this conversation over which i see your point i hope you see mine thanks for the reminder Hughes is still a good system i don't debate that but they have their issues.

apsc,

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US!

I'm very happy that you have entered into the SkyWay USA dealer program. I firmly believe that anybody in 2way satellite sales and service can increase their business and subscribers base 30+% by adding our unique affordable and easy to install hybrid modem solutions.

I work on the wholesale end of the DVB-S2 technology. While I am not an employee of SkyWay USA's If I can ever offer you assistance, please call or write if you have any support questions or needs out in the field.

800-761-9149
tomw@bbinabox.com

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)