I had my DISH installed today... I'm kinda pi**ed...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Orlando Vol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 17, 2004
I had my DISH installed today... I'm kinda pi**ed... OTA problem.

Alright-
I was using my VOOM box as an OTA tuner with a Winegard Sensar II antenna, it worked fine got all of my locals, good signal strength...

I was a little miffed that my installer:
a. didn't know that I needed an OTA antenna to get digital locals...
b. insisted that I could only get locals from the satellite dish...
c. wouldn't hook up my old OTA antenna to my 942.

Is this not covered in a standard install?

I had my antenna basically ready to be plugged in, but he offered no help.

I initially scanned for local digitals, and only found 2... :no

I went out and disconnected the antenna from the diplexor, and just used a female-female coax connector to connect to the line into the house (basically BYPASSING the diplexor)...

I got more locals... :cool: All of them were found, but I wasn't getting a good enough signal on half of them (no picture)....

So what do I do? I am pretty handy, but have no cable/satellite experience...

Help me out guys?? :(

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

Well the installer should know that you get your digital locals from an antenna. So this tells me he really was not a great installer. OTA antenna installation is not part of the "BASIC FREE INSTALL", so I can understand why he would not hook it up for you. That being said if it was there and all he had to do was hook it up, again not the best installer.

I do belive that the Voom box was the power for your Winegard Sensar II antenna. So you will need the power supply listed above to make it work right again.

The reason that the installer did not hook it up is because he did not want to be married to the antenna system for the next two years.

Dave nye said:
I do belive that the Voom box was the power for your Winegard Sensar II antenna. So you will need the power supply listed above to make it work right again.

I had my local OTA antenna installed several weeks ago (it's a Winegard Sensar II) and my installer told me that my 811 provides the amplification for the antenna just like the old Voom receiver. He did not install any external amplifier as mentioned above and I get the HD locals I want just fine.

Ken

yikes

sounds like you can get another free install. i have the same problem when i went to the 942 from the voom box. my ota stuff sucks. i am moving to a new location with a southern view and trying the winegard squareshooter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)