I hate glossy plastic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
coinmaster32

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I Hate how most electronics now adays come in glossy plastic. My TV is glossy, my tower is glossy, my hopper is glossy, my phone is glossy, my printer is glossy.

Glossy looks cool, but the buck stops there.

Glossy scratches easier, it shows dust more, and it shows fingerprints horribly. If I had any say, everything would be finished in textured plastic like a IBM thinkpad.

M

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Md
options
1. steel wool
2. plastidip
3. paint

Ramy

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
Steel wool to scratch the whole surface so it looks the same??

Peter Parker

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I think steel wool is out. There is a difference between a textured or brushed finish and one that is scratched up by steel wool. I would say you are stuck with what is fashionable when you makeqa purchase.

jayn_j

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
Krylon and others produce a clear matte fixative in a spray can. You could spray this on the surface to tone down the glossyness.

We used this in my parents' photography business to turn glossy prints into semi-gloss or even matte. Worked pretty well, but I expect it would eventually wear off in places where there was heavy activity.

Teehar

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Glossy black sure beats that grey/silver trend a few years back.Or even worse white!

Rey

Rey

@ your service
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
a matte case should take care of the glossy phones. i really have no issues with the piano black finishes on home theater components. i like it better than the silver when that was in....

cave1376

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
Op likes to complain. First Directv and his pr0n problems. Then Dish with its hopper and three tuners. Now glossy plastic receivers. What's next, how the ground gets wet whenever it rains?

M

markfp-1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 13, 2005
You might try covering it with a flat black tape. What I'm thinking of use to be called "photographic tape" and was available in camera stores. The nice thing about that was it wasn't permanent and you peel it off with out any damage. You might also try checking with an art supply store and see what they might have. Assuming they have something like that, you could probably get away with just doing the space around the picture since chances are nobody can see the back.

Rey

Rey

@ your service
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
put some lacquer thinner over it. it'll take the shine right off of it. among other things :p

Status
Please reply by conversation.