I hate glossy plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I Hate how most electronics now adays come in glossy plastic. My TV is glossy, my tower is glossy, my hopper is glossy, my phone is glossy, my printer is glossy.

Glossy looks cool, but the buck stops there.

Glossy scratches easier, it shows dust more, and it shows fingerprints horribly. If I had any say, everything would be finished in textured plastic like a IBM thinkpad.

Steel wool to scratch the whole surface so it looks the same??

I think steel wool is out. There is a difference between a textured or brushed finish and one that is scratched up by steel wool. I would say you are stuck with what is fashionable when you makeqa purchase.

Krylon and others produce a clear matte fixative in a spray can. You could spray this on the surface to tone down the glossyness.

We used this in my parents' photography business to turn glossy prints into semi-gloss or even matte. Worked pretty well, but I expect it would eventually wear off in places where there was heavy activity.

Glossy black sure beats that grey/silver trend a few years back.Or even worse white!

a matte case should take care of the glossy phones. i really have no issues with the piano black finishes on home theater components. i like it better than the silver when that was in....

You might try covering it with a flat black tape. What I'm thinking of use to be called "photographic tape" and was available in camera stores. The nice thing about that was it wasn't permanent and you peel it off with out any damage. You might also try checking with an art supply store and see what they might have. Assuming they have something like that, you could probably get away with just doing the space around the picture since chances are nobody can see the back.

put some lacquer thinner over it. it'll take the shine right off of it. among other things :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)