I hate my DirecTV DVR!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

melanie2457

Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Okay, so 2 weeks ago I got DirecTV. Being a faithful and loving Tivo user for 3 years, I decided to get the DVR box which was supposed to "come with Tivo" ha! what a joke! Oh, its an R15 reciever btw and I paid $125 for it.

Okay... so... I hate it. It is NOT Tivo, its horrible, I have SO many problems with it I dont know where to start.

I called DirecTV to ask them about returning the DVR for just a regular reciever so I can use my old trusty TiVo... the said since I purchased the box from a retailer I have to talk to them but "it shouldnt be a problem returning and getting a refund."

I then called the retailer/installer I bought it from and they said they'd be more than happy to exchange it for a $40 regular reciever but that I could not get a refund.

So... here's my questions...

1. Can I buy an R10 box from someone (like ebay) and call DirecTV to have it activated?

2. Can I sell my R15 box to someone else to recover some of the money since no one will let me return it to them anyways?

3. Any other options?

Please help me! I'm tired of playing phone tag!

melanie2457 said:
Okay, so 2 weeks ago I got DirecTV. Being a faithful and loving Tivo user for 3 years, I decided to get the DVR box which was supposed to "come with Tivo" ha! what a joke! Oh, its an R15 reciever btw and I paid $125 for it.

Okay... so... I hate it. It is NOT Tivo, its horrible, I have SO many problems with it I dont know where to start.

I called DirecTV to ask them about returning the DVR for just a regular reciever so I can use my old trusty TiVo... the said since I purchased the box from a retailer I have to talk to them but "it shouldnt be a problem returning and getting a refund."

I then called the retailer/installer I bought it from and they said they'd be more than happy to exchange it for a $40 regular reciever but that I could not get a refund.

1. Can I buy an R10 box from someone (like ebay) and call DirecTV to have it activated?

2. Can I sell my R15 box to someone else to recover some of the money since no one will let me return it to them anyways?

3. Any other options?

Melanie, First welcome to satguys!

Yeah teh R15 isnt a favorite of many people, so you are not alone, here are some answers to help you
1. yes, but make sure that it is clean of any charges or not still on anyones account, usually they are clean and clear to activate, but there are some people that just want to rip you off. Also Directv will probably make you get a new access card (sometimes 20 bucks, sometimes free, depends if you get a nice person or not )
2. Yes!
3. not from me, I enjoy your plan!

They can have my tivo when they pry it from my cold dead fingers! I feel your pain. Both these f**king companies don't get it (E* & D*); that they both suck at making good STABLE dvrs. You'd think that one would get a clue and figure out that maybe they just need to buy tivo out and have the company make the equipment in the right way to begin with.

stuart628 said:
Melanie, First welcome to satguys!

Yeah teh R15 isnt a favorite of many people, so you are not alone, here are some answers to help you
1. yes, but make sure that it is clean of any charges or not still on anyones account, usually they are clean and clear to activate, but there are some people that just want to rip you off. Also Directv will probably make you get a new access card (sometimes 20 bucks, sometimes free, depends if you get a nice person or not )
2. Yes!
3. not from me, I enjoy your plan!

How would I verift that the unit I buy is clean? And, before I sell my unit do I need to tell DirecTV?

Thanks for your help! I'm feeling much better about the situation!

melanie2457 said:
How would I verift that the unit I buy is clean? And, before I sell my unit do I need to tell DirecTV?

you can buy a new one, that is sealed, or just make sure they have a money back guarentee or anything like that, also I would deactivate the box off of your account ( you have more then just the R15 right?)

Yeah, I have a D11 also. I think I'll buy an R10 and if all works out well then I'll deactivate the R15 and sell it.

Thanks for your help!

If your R15 is the R15-300

I'll trade you for one of the DTivo's I have in the house... I have at least one R10, DSR704, and a couple HDVR2s... just sitting in the closet.

I have two R15-500's;
I would like to have an R15-300 so when I test certain issues people are reporting... I can test them on both versions of the unit.

I can also then honestly see if there are any difference between the two, except for size.

ebonovic said:
I have two R15-500's;
I would like to have an R15-300 so when I test certain issues people are reporting... I can test them on both versions of the unit.

I can also then honestly see if there are any difference between the two, except for size.

Makes sense. good call.

I don't know where you live, but I was in our local Wal-Mart Superstore today and they had a bunch of the R-10 units for $89.00. You might also check with one of the sponsors here Value Electronics. Just go to the top of this page and click on their logo.

melanie2457 said:

Ask the prospective seller to give you the serial # off the box and the access card #. Then call DirectTV and ask them if there's any unpaid balance due on the unit.

If the answer is no, then it's probably safe to buy the used unit.

Hope this helps!

melanie2457 said:

3. Any other options?

#2 Sorry to counter what others have told you, if you just bought it two weeks ago you don't own it you are leasingt it from Directv, YOU CANNOT SELL IT.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)