I have a question about the future

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
I do NOT care about 4k, I don't want 4k, I am SICK AND TIRED of hearing about 4k! I am completely satisfied with HD and don't want to change. So my question is this, is HD 1080 going to be "turned off" at some point so I won't be able to watch TV unless I do all this 4k crap?? I guess I just don't understand how the future will work so maybe somebody can nicely explain it, thanks.

Reactions: ejb1980
fantasiamickey2.gif

I am looking into the future..... I see only 4K TV's being sold so when you replace yours it won't matter. WAIT... Now I see only 8K TV's even more into the future... OMG.. Now I see Project Genesis and whole new worlds built around you..... The needs of the many will outweigh the needs of the few who only want HD....

I do NOT care about 4k, I don't want 4k, I am SICK AND TIRED of hearing about 4k! I am completely satisfied with HD and don't want to change. So my question is this, is HD 1080 going to be "turned off" at some point so I won't be able to watch TV unless I do all this 4k crap?? I guess I just don't understand how the future will work so maybe somebody can nicely explain it, thanks.
I'd put it this way.

Notice how the Feds had everyone convert to digital boxes a few years back?

To me, that's the new baseline standard.

You don't have to worry about 4K for several more years.

This is the same thing we went through 13 years ago when HD just rolled out.

What will be going away is standard definition equipment and programming.

Today it's standard and HD. In the future it will be 4K and HD, and eventually 4K and 8k

You don't have to worry about 4K for several more years.

This is the same thing we went through 13 years ago when HD just rolled out.

What will be going away is standard definition equipment and programming.

Today it's standard and HD. In the future it will be 4K and HD, and eventually 4K and 8k
Ok, so the SD will go away and it will be HD and 4K. Then in the waaaaaaaaaaaay future they will get rid of HD and it will be 4K and 8k. So, I should be just fine with my HD for many many years to come, and then after that I don't have to worry because I will be dead.

Ok, so the SD will go away and it will be HD and 4K. Then in the waaaaaaaaaaaay future they will get rid of HD and it will be 4K and 8k. So, I should be just fine with my HD for many many years to come, and then after that I don't have to worry because I will be dead.
I started to "Like " your post, then read the last part and Paused ...

There are a lot of people that don't even care to upgrade from SD to HD. They think SD is good enough. 90% of the channels are still available in SD. It will be a couple of years before SD goes away. We will likely see HD be the standard for another 20 years.

Reactions: directv newb
I'm not the kind of person that has to have the latest greatest whatever. I've tried to appreciate 4K but I think it's just overkill. I can see the difference, but it just doesn't grab me like the difference I saw when I saw my first HDTV. HD certainly did spoil me though. When I see SD
on an HDTV, it's hard for me to watch. My 46" Sony XBR9 HDTV is just fine for me. What really cracks me up is the fact that the majority of the big chain stores don't know how to properly adjust their HDTV's. There are lots of people standing around saying how good a particular
HDTV looks, but in truth it looks horrible. It's kinda like that saga, "The Kings New Clothes" :biggrin2. Everyone just seems to go along with what the
others are saying.

Reactions: directv newb
I'm not the kind of person that has to have the latest greatest whatever. I've tried to appreciate 4K but I think it's just overkill. I can see the difference, but it just doesn't grab me like the difference I saw when I saw my first HDTV. HD certainly did spoil me though. When I see SD
on an HDTV, it's hard for me to watch. My 46" Sony XBR9 HDTV is just fine for me. What really cracks me up is the fact that the majority of the big chain stores don't know how to properly adjust their HDTV's. There are lots of people standing around saying how good a particular
HDTV looks, but in truth it looks horrible. It's kinda like that saga, "The Kings New Clothes" :biggrin2. Everyone just seems to go along with what the
others are saying.
Also the fact that most are running a loop and is over amplified to cover the amount of TV's in the store.
I want to see an OTA channel to see what the TV looks like.

You don't have to be concerned with 4k+ HDTVs for years. The first thing they have to deal with is making the new ATSC 3.0 compatible with the present ATSC 1.0 to make any sense for a TV station to do another upgrade to their equipment that cost $$$$$$$ and on top of that they will have to give up more bandwidth for the 4K+TVs that may now being used for secondary channels. Then to get TV viewers to see a big improvement from the 4k+TVs to get them to buy the TVs. You would not see much difference on a 55" or smaller HDTV with a 4k+ version on the TV. There is a new color booster that you would notice with the new system and it could be added to any HDTV version. It's the TV industry's way of trying to make up for the failed 3DTV and hopping the 4K+ does not end up fading away as 3D did. They also took the 4k+ from projection systems for use on screens 70 and up that you use for home theaters and 10k+ for movie theaters.

You don't have to be concerned with 4k+ HDTVs for years. The first thing they have to deal with is making the new ATSC 3.0 compatible with the present ATSC 1.0 to make any sense for a TV station to do another upgrade to their equipment that cost $$$$$$$ and on top of that they will have to give up more bandwidth for the 4K+TVs that may now being used for secondary channels. Then to get TV viewers to see a big improvement from the 4k+TVs to get them to buy the TVs. You would not see much difference on a 55" or smaller HDTV with a 4k+ version on the TV. There is a new color booster that you would notice with the new system and it could be added to any HDTV version. It's the TV industry's way of trying to make up for the failed 3DTV and hopping the 4K+ does not end up fading away as 3D did. They also took the 4k+ from projection systems for use on screens 70 and up that you use for home theaters and 10k+ for movie theaters.
4K has NOTHING to do with 3D .... they have nothing in common.
3D has been tried since the 50's, its nothing new.

....The first thing they have to deal with is making the new ATSC 3.0 compatible with the present ATSC 1.0 ......
I believe that ship has sailed. ATSC is nearing final release of specs and it was decided long ago that it could not be backwards compatible with the current ATSC. As to bandwidth, HEVC, along with OFDM replacing 8VSB, takes care of that.

Reactions: osu1991
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts