I have a Samsung TV that is RVU ready, what does this mean?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JUCJ85

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
NY
Just curious as I just noticed on my Samsung Smart TV that it is DTV RVU Ready, and I'm not sure what that means, and what extra cost it may be to me per month.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

It doesn't need a separate receiver, when used with the Genie system to receive DirecTV.

It basically has a "Genie mini" installed already.
Is there any extra cost besides the $6.50 a month extra receiver fee?

I'm asking because I have two TVs downstairs, and the Genie is located downstairs, but it's asking for a wired connection, but my Genie is an HR44, so it's hooked up to to Wireless and not ethernet.

No, it's treated as an additional tv, so the $6.50 is the cost for it, just as it would be for an extra receiver.
Thank you, do I need to call DirecTV to set it up? Or can I do it myself? It says I need a wired connection, but does that mean just from Receiver to TV, or does my Modem need to be connected to the Receiver also?

It will need to be installed unless you have the proper equipment. I would recommend contacting D*.

As long as your Genie is connected to the internet, it'll be fine. The install will feature a deca that will connect to the TVs ethernet port, which will connect the tv to the internet, as well as to the D* coax network. So, it won't connect from the receiver or modem, just from the splitter.

i believe hooking up the RVU function also disables some of the smart TV functions. might want to look into that if you use those.

It means you get to pay the same fee as someone that doesn't have a box, deal with latency issues and save Directv money on hardware.

i believe hooking up the RVU function also disables some of the smart TV functions. might want to look into that if you use those.
Hooking up the RVU does not disable anything. As a matter of fact, since RVU REQUIRES a hard wired connection, you can say that hooking up the RVU gives you a better experience

Thank you, do I need to call DirecTV to set it up? Or can I do it myself? It says I need a wired connection, but does that mean just from Receiver to TV, or does my Modem need to be connected to the Receiver also?
you need to hard wired your RVU TV to the internet, be to using a DECA or ethernet cable to router. RVU TVs don't work on WiFI. Having your Genie using it built in WiFi is OK tho

Yeah, and not get software updates and fixes for the HDTV itself. One would have to disconnect and then re-connect between your LAN and the MoCA to do any of that stuff. Some people are not inclined to do that, but techies might. But I agree, considering there is not savings in cost, I would get the Client (and avoid the latency issues I've heard about using RVU instead of the client) and leave my HDTV open to the mother-ship for fixes and the Smart TV features that, while inferior, save me from having to buy another Roku for a secondary or tertiary room.

you need to hard wired your RVU TV to the internet, be to using a DECA or ethernet cable to router. RVU TVs don't work on WiFI. Having your Genie using it built in WiFi is OK tho
So are you saying that to have RVU working you HAVE to have it connected to the internet ?

If thats the case, what happens to the TV programming if the internet is off or goes down for a while (storms ect.) will the D* TV still work ?

They should not charge for RVU televisions. Maybe it would give people an incentive to switch
I AGREE ...
When I first heard about the RVU and D*, years back, I thought for sure that there would be no charge for the use, but once again when theres a way to make more money, companies will find it.

So are you saying that to have RVU working you HAVE to have it connected to the internet ?

If thats the case, what happens to the TV programming if the internet is off or goes down for a while (storms ect.) will the D* TV still work ?
Most TVs require FW update before the "advanced stuff" can be used. The fact is that the latest addition to the RVU family of TVs, LG requires internet connection as you need to download an app (DirecTV RVU) from the LG? App store. Not sure what happens if the internet goes down but since RVU stream in your LAN, I presumed the stream wont be affected, but the web may be required for initial set up

Most TVs require FW update before the "advanced stuff" can be used. The fact is that the latest addition to the RVU family of TVs, LG requires internet connection as you need to download an app (DirecTV RVU) from the LG? App store. Not sure what happens if the internet goes down but since RVU stream in your LAN, I presumed the stream wont be affected, but the web may be required for initial set up
Ok, I can understand them wanting the internet to download an app or and update to the TV ....
I was hoping that they were not saying that in order for the D* service to work it had to be connected to the internet.

The update stuff makes sense, just so it's not required for D* service to work on the TV.

Personally, I don't think I would buy a RVU set, at least not specifically for D*.

I think you would for 4K since the C61K is basically a RVU box itself.

This way you don't need an external box hooked up to the tv.

Well I had just a new line installed yesterday, the tech said I needed a constant internet connection for the RVU to work, so I just went with the new line, which was just one of their spliters so I have two TVs working in the living room for Sundays.

Everything went great, and I did this mainly due to having a HR24 that wasn't being used since I didn't have an extra line, so now everything is great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts