I have an inept D* installer... I just want to do it myself... any ideas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NGeorge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Olympia, WA
Hey Guys;

I've been a happy customer of DirecTV since 1999, and didn't think I would change, however recently my house burnt down. After dealing with everything related to that, I was looking at getting my DirecTV system set back up w/ 2 DVRs.

The new place has a previous Dish 500 installed, and there is a line of site between some trees to 110/119*... There is also a shot to 101* about 5 feet to the right of the Dish 500... it's a narrow shot, but it is there--I wasn't exact about 99* or 103* but I was sure about 101*. Considering the circumstances, D* gave me a break on my 2 burnt up HR20's, and offered me a full HD system install for $200, with 2 more HR20's, or a free 2 SD DVR system if I didn't have a line of sight for HD. I accepted this, and the first installer came out from Ironwood Communications... Having installed D* a number of times myself, I have a pretty good eye for where the sats are in the sky. I've had 2 professional installations done for myself, and both went flawless...

Appointment 1:
This guy had a bad attitude from the start--took one reading from standing on the back deck and said "no way" I could get 99-119*... he said I needed 103, which was to the right of 119*... I told him I knew it was between 101* and 110*, and that since Dish was pointing to 110/119 already and got perfect signal, 99-103 was the only issue. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about, that Dish is in a totally different place, and that the way they display in the system is the order they are in the sky... If anyone could put a system in, it would be him. Yeah--right. He said he would only put the system in 100+ feet from the house, for $300 in cable, and I'd have to sink the pole myself. I said no way, since this is only a temp place for a year or so--I just want the SD system--and that I've bought 1000 feet of shielded, underground RG-6 for less than $100 bucks...

He says the paperwork was only for an HD system, he didn't have the SD equipment, and that I needed to reschedule, although "I don't know what kind of good that will do you"....

Appointment 2:
This guy shows up late, and was very ticked at the thought that he had to INSTALL the system... his paperwork says "Service Call" on it, and he is sticking with that--it doesn't matter that directv.com says INSTALL... it doesn't matter that DirecTV says INSTALL when I call them... he calls his dispatch, hands me the phone and she basically says "Whoops! Sorry! You'll have to reschedule"... He also has a BAD attitude, but he said that since it was a service call, he would look for line of sight to 101*--he finds it just where I suspected, 5 feet to the right of the Dish 500... he tells me that it is one narrow shot, and the dish needs to be placed within about a 12" area--but it is there--he even let me check with the meter he was using to confirm--yep I was right... but since this is a SERVICE CALL, he won't touch anything... I need to reschedule.... FINE.

Appointment 3:
They send the first guy again... It was painfully obvious that he didn't want to be there. "So is it going in the yard?"... I told him that we were just doing a signle shot to 101* from the roof, and that I had a previous tech come out and tell me where it goes on the roof. This guy goes out, stands on the back deck again, takes one reading, shakes his head, says "No way--not happening"... I told him to look exactly where the other tech was--he does "Nope". I asked him to let me check it myself with his meter "Nope can't do that..."... at this point I just asked to do it myself... Just leave me the dish & receiver & I'll do it myself... he gets lippy "I pay for this equipment--I can't leave it with you!"...

I asked him to just put it up and try--I've done this enough, and the other tech confirmed it will work... "I'm not going to do that--It won't work--if you want it in the yard, sink the pole, pay 300 and you'll have it--if not, I'm leaving"... At this point I'll admit I sort of lost it and told him to get off my property in very colorful words, and that I thought he was coming up with excuses for me to buy cable--at this point he stomped off, and his assistant came in--I was fired up, but he had a much better attitude so it calmed me down... the assistant told me he thinks he sees the shot I'm talking about but "I think he's taking this personal--I've never seen him like this" about the other installer. He says he's off training in 3 days, and I can request him if I can't get the other tech--but that the other guy has made up his mind--he doesn't want to do the install, or even try... I have to rescedule...

So I call up DirecTV, and go directly to their rententions group... they can't believe what happened, and conference me with Ironwood Communications... who conveniently lost the name of the tech who came the middle time who was willing to install--if it hadn't shown up as a service call. They say they will send a "lead installer" for APPOINTMENT 4. This "lead installer" better get it in, because I have Dish Network coming the next day to simply add DVRs to the existing Dish 500 system... I don't want to go that way since I am so used to DirecTV's channel numbers and planned on getting a Tivo-based R10 in a bit for the front room--but this just pushes it.

SO, this leads me to primary questions:

1. Is there any way to get a different installer than Ironwood through DirecTV? I looked around online and it looks like I'm not the only one who has had issues with them. I had an install done with a company called DirecStar (I believe) and it was PERFECT.

2. Is there any truth to this "I buy the receivers--they don't pay me for them back until they are installed" BS from the installers? I always thought an installer could drop equipment off, and as long as I signed for it, I could install it myself or do whatever.

3. Is there any way to just have DirecTV ship me everything? I never had these issues when I installed myself... I don't even need to use too much cable since there are already cable runs from the Dish dish.

Anyways, sorry about the rant--I have honestly never had a reason to be ticked at DirecTV--until now--and it wasn't even D*'s fault--it was their stupid installer... We'll see if number 4 is the charm. If not, E* just picked up a new customer.

--Nat

I had problems with a dtv contractor. Called dtv and they said when requesting service ask for a "in house tech." Apparently these in house techs work directely for dtv. He had a nice dtv truck with all equipment tools etc. Did a great job. The contractor had an old pick-up truck and borrowed most of the tools required from me. Good luck.

Yes it is possable that ironwood has insituted a similar policy the company i was working for was debating, in that charge the tech/subcontractor for the box then "reimburse" once its put in. So it is possable. What you should of done is told him you'll sign off on the w/o stating u'd self install and that any service calls you woud get charged for. Then let him call in and activate it, and get paid for doin nothing, and turn off IPPV so he wouldent get dinged for the reciever not phoning home within 24 hrs after directv sent the hit to it.

Appointment 2:
This guy shows up late, and was very ticked at the thought that he had to INSTALL the system... his paperwork says "Service Call" on it, and he is sticking with that--it doesn't matter that directv.com says INSTALL... it doesn't matter that DirecTV says INSTALL when I call them... he calls his dispatch, hands me the phone and she basically says "Whoops! Sorry! You'll have to reschedule"... He also has a BAD attitude, but he said that since it was a service call, he would look for line of sight to 101*--he finds it just where I suspected, 5 feet to the right of the Dish 500... he tells me that it is one narrow shot, and the dish needs to be placed within about a 12" area--but it is there--he even let me check with the meter he was using to confirm--yep I was right... but since this is a SERVICE CALL, he won't touch anything... I need to reschedule.... FINE.

As to the work order, if it said Service Call, then that is what the tech is prepared to do. It is what he has the time and equipment for, and it would be what he is getting paid for. The work order comes directly from DirecTV (Ironwood can't create them) and is usually sent 1-2 days in advance. Yes, the tech could have waited several hours for DirecTV to correct the work order, and then installed your system. While this is going on, the rest of his customers that day would be posting on here because their installer was late or didn't show...just because he was still dealing with your issue. Maybe that's what happened at the tech's previous job site, which is what made him late.

So I call up DirecTV, and go directly to their rententions group... they can't believe what happened, and conference me with Ironwood Communications... who conveniently lost the name of the tech who came the middle time who was willing to install--if it hadn't shown up as a service call. They say they will send a "lead installer" for APPOINTMENT 4. This "lead installer" better get it in, because I have Dish Network coming the next day to simply add DVRs to the existing Dish 500 system... I don't want to go that way since I am so used to DirecTV's channel numbers and planned on getting a Tivo-based R10 in a bit for the front room--but this just pushes it.

Every tech that has showed up has had a bad attitude and has been late...and now the next person to show up "better get it in" or otherwise you'll go with Dish? Word of advice...go to Dish and see what happens there. Nothing that DirecTV or Ironwood can or will do will satisfy you, so go see how the other half lives.

SO, this leads me to primary questions:

1. Is there any way to get a different installer than Ironwood through DirecTV? I looked around online and it looks like I'm not the only one who has had issues with them. I had an install done with a company called DirecStar (I believe) and it was PERFECT.
You can try a local retailer, but they are usually sub contractors to HSP's like Ironwood.

2. Is there any truth to this "I buy the receivers--they don't pay me for them back until they are installed" BS from the installers? I always thought an installer could drop equipment off, and as long as I signed for it, I could install it myself or do whatever.
The installer is financially responsible for the receiver until it is installed AND activated. If you read the lease agreement carefully, you will see that all receivers must be activated within 30 days of your installation or DirecTV will charge you a bunch of money.

3. Is there any way to just have DirecTV ship me everything? I never had these issues when I installed myself... I don't even need to use too much cable since there are already cable runs from the Dish dish.
You can try, but I haven't heard of people having much luck with this.

Anyways, sorry about the rant--I have honestly never had a reason to be ticked at DirecTV--until now--and it wasn't even D*'s fault--it was their stupid installer... We'll see if number 4 is the charm. If not, E* just picked up a new customer.

--Nat
It was both DirecTV's and the installer's (first one) fault. Switch to E* now and don't be surprised at the quality of service you get there.

Lead installer will be their best man. In my case he was very good so I hope yours is too.
That just means they've been there more than 6 months

Such is the unfortunate nature of Ironwood.
Yep

I had problems with a dtv contractor. Called dtv and they said when requesting service ask for a "in house tech." Apparently these in house techs work directely for dtv. He had a nice dtv truck with all equipment tools etc. Did a great job. The contractor had an old pick-up truck and borrowed most of the tools required from me. Good luck.
DTV doesn't have in-house techs. The guys in the vans work for HSPs like Ironwood Communications.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts