I have finally joined the ranks...

MisterLas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Flemington, WV
Hey all, I just wanted to say, I FINALLY (!!!) picked up an HD-DVD player. I have been eyeballing the a20 and the a30 (to go with my 47HL167 tv), but last night, I caught an a20 at circuitcity for 249.99 with 10% off for ordering online and picking up in store. I knew that if I bought this device, I had to have Transformers. But my wife and I couldn't decide on what other movies to get, so we thought we would wait to get more; ie price them out cheaper online. I hear the WB online store is great. Any other recommendations?

So we watched the movie last night, and it was the greatest thing I have ever seen... The colors were more vibrant, the sound was impeccable, and the overall picture quality blew us away. Now, I went to see this movie on the big screen when it came out, and I must say, I believe it looked 10 times better from home. Can I expect this from all my movies?

Before we went to bed last night, I set it to download the firmware. I let updated my unit, and then went to bed. I played with it for a few minutes this morning before I headed off to work, and now I can use the 1080p/24 mode (yay!). I will check it out tonight to actually see if I will prefer that mode. What do you guys prefer?

Anyways, I just wanted to come on here and say that I have taken the plunge and joined the ranks.

Welcome to the world of HD DVD.

You didn't buy ANY movies?

Amazon's prices are good. Usually $19.99 except for new releases.

Transformers is a GREAT movie to demo your new device with. Best PQ I have ever seen, and awesome audio to boot.

Transformers was also my first HD DVD and I was very impressed and I decided not to get anymore SD DVDs, only HD DVDs!:up

Got mine with 300 at best buy (xbox 360 drive).

300 is another great HD-DVD movie for eye candy :D

Yeah, good movie. But in my opinion because of director's grain effects placed there to me it didn't have the visual wow factor vs SD. The sound was noticeably better. I got my 300 because it was included in the A3 box with a Bourne Identity. I did buy Batman Begins and was very impressed. To each their own-it's all good. Enjoy!!

Funny you guys mention these movies, because 300 and Batman Begins are going to be my next investments... I saw 300 in the theaters, so I expect the graininess. I kind of liked that in the movie.

If picture quality is what you're wondering about, be sure to check out some of the sites that review HD DVDs. I'm partial to DVD Verdict and DVD Times, but there some other good sites out there.
Hot Fuzz and Mission Impossible: III have gotten good PQ reviews. Along with Batman Returns, I'm also partial to The Chronicals of Riddick and King Kong. I just bought 2001 A Space Odyssey and it looks fantastic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts