I have more Hopper 3 questions

Sorry for very Hard Follow up questions to add to this thread, I am thinking I will sign up to upgrade first thing Monday using this sties list.
-
(yes I spent about 20 mins searching other threads , sites for the answers, I get conflicting confusing results, I am not sure so hope its OK to ask here, Sat Guys are the smartest and I know someone can help)
-
1. I do not have the warranty plan, how much will they charge me to install the new LNB and Switch?{{{$95 tech visit fee}}}
-
2. Should I sign up for the warranty plan before I upgrade to get a discount? {{{yes}}}
-
3. I am one year into my Two You contract since I last upgraded to TWO Hoppers WS and one Joey 1.0, Will I have to sign a new contract? Will it be Two more years from the date of the Hopper 3 install? {{{yes it will}}}
-
4. I am not getting and Discounts or Price Locks, if I do a new Two you should I even ask? Long time customer, never late, auto pay. {{{never hurts to ask}}}
-
5. Is it worth future proofing my install and getting one Hopper 4K , are the $50 extra? I dont have 4 K yet {{{do you mean 4K Joey? The H3 is 4K already. The 4K Joey will be $50 at upgrade. I'd hold up on that}}}
-
6. What Will my new HardWare Bill be under a Hopper 3? Is this close? Does it really go down in price for each month? Do all DVR fees go up next month from 12 to 15?
-
CURRENT
HopperWS #1 free
HopperWS #2 $12 (does this go up this year?)
Joey 1.0 $7
DRV Service $12 (does this go up this year?)
===============
$31
-
New Pricing
Hopper 3 free
Joey 2.0 $7
Joey 2.0 $7
DRV Service $15
================
$29
You will lose the grandfathered $12 price but will ev lowering the $12 hopper to $7 Joey. Your assessment is correct.

For your # 1 and 2 questions, add the protection plan. Cancel it after the installation, cancel it a few months later, or just keep it. Your call... They do charge you a penalty for cancelling before "x" days but do the math. I think if you keep it the minimum they require, it comes out about even (no doubt did that way on purpose by Dish).

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Sorry for very Hard Follow up questions to add to this thread, I am thinking I will sign up to upgrade first thing Monday using this sties list.
-
(yes I spent about 20 mins searching other threads , sites for the answers, I get conflicting confusing results, I am not sure so hope its OK to ask here, Sat Guys are the smartest and I know someone can help)
-
1. I do not have the warranty plan, how much will they charge me to install the new LNB and Switch?
Depends on how you qualify. It's possible it may be free without the warranty plan.
-
2. Should I sign up for the warranty plan before I upgrade to get a discount?
If it will save you the tech visit fee then go ahead.
-
3. I am one year into my Two You contract since I last upgraded to TWO Hoppers WS and one Joey 1.0, Will I have to sign a new contract? Will it be Two more years from the date of the Hopper 3 install?
You will need to sign another two year contract. The date starts when activated.
-
4. I am not getting and Discounts or Price Locks, if I do a new Two you should I even ask? Long time customer, never late, auto pay.
You will keep your same prices. If you want discounts you'll have to ask. May have to threaten to leave.
-
5. Is it worth future proofing my install and getting one Hopper 4K , are the $50 extra? I dont have 4 K yet
The Hopper 3 will be 4K. If you think you'll be getting a second 4K tv in the near future or want pip you can spend the $50 for the 4K Joey.
-
6. What Will my new HardWare Bill be under a Hopper 3? Is this close? Does it really go down in price for each month? Do all DVR fees go up next month from 12 to 15?
The Hopper 3 will be $15 and all Joeys are $7. Your math looks correct.
-
CURRENT
HopperWS #1 free
Joey 1.0 $7
===============
$31
-
New Pricing
Hopper 3 free
Joey 2.0 $7
Joey 2.0 $7
DRV Service $15
================
$29

My answers are in the quote box.

You can do that today when you create the timer

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
I will add two things:
1. Some of the timers that can be created the most easy/quickest/conviniet by Dish design way such as from the EPG, then press the RECORD button or from the Info page, then select RECORD THIS, immediatley creates the timer without presenting the option to select a folder for destination upon completion of the recording.

2. As one who uses Custom Folders for the vast majority of recordings for at least 3 years now, one can oftem remeber that one is better off pressing the SELECT button from the guide, but one does not remember to select the folder more often then one would like to admit :). It is shockingly EASY to pass-up or not even consider that portion of the create timer screeen. There is some "maintenace" and time to fixing this for several recordings for which one intended to send to particular folders and double-checking the many timers to be certain the Folder is selected for destination.

3.Perhaps the BIGGEST ANNOYANCE--and one that can be a huge deal breaker for many who otherwise may want to use Customer Folders for household members--is that all recordings have NO SUBFOLDER, or, in other words, in the Custom Folder recordings can NOT be grouped by title like they can be OUTSIDE of Custome Folder from the standard DVR recordings list/display. So, the display is the same tile displayed several times in various places (if one uses sort by DATE) throughout the Custom Folder. This creates an organization of recordings that is UNACCEPTABLE to all member of our household: it is overwhelmingly confusing, even if sorting by NAME because you may have page after page of the same show before you can get to the other different shows. The number of individual tiles for each and every recording--and we have it in the HUNDREDS, presents a never ending sea of recordings and tiles that can't be grouped by NAME. Cumbersome to say the least and sometimes one can't find the specific redcording one is looking for.

Fixing #3 would go about 87% towards making truly useful Custom Folders for household members. Fixing #1 & #2 would bring near certainty to always selecting the folder for the recording.

Reactions: gregleg and dsheri
I have heard you can do a Ethernet transfer if you have time to do it.If you own your equipment remember if you lease they will take it with them after install.
I am SPECULATING the ethernet transfer may be faster (possibly much faster) than using an external hard drive.

A test transfer I did ran about 0.5 GB per minute (8-9 MB/s), well under the limits of either an external drive or a 100 Mb ethernet connection. There is some encryption going on as part of this process and that may contribute to the slowness. Since an ethernet transfer is going from one internal drive to another it makes sense they could bypass the encryption step and the process might run much, much faster. Even if the ethernet transfer route encrypted and decrypted and resulted in the same rates, it would be only one transfer compared to two to move from one Hopper to the EHD then another to move from EHD to the new Hopper.

At the rate I measured, transferring 600 GB to an external hard drive would take 18-20 hours. We don't know yet how fast Hopper 3 will transfer material from an external to it's internal drive. That direction could take less time since the processor in the H3 is faster.

So will the ethernet transfer be available from day 1 or would it be better to use a external hard drive to transfer the recordings from a original hopper to the new hopper 3 ?

I will stick to the external HDD then. If the dvr has 366 recording and is 40% full how big of a hard drive will I need to back it up ?

So will the ethernet transfer be available from day 1 or would it be better to use a external hard drive to transfer the recordings from a original hopper to the new hopper 3 ?
Got to admit I don't know. At CES they were telling me they hoped to have it for launch, but not 100%.

1TB will do easily. You could go smaller but, considering the cost, why?

At my local BJ's Wholesale club they had a 2TB WD Essentials USB drive for $109 and directly above it was a 4TB WD Essentials USB Drive also for $109!

Which would you get! (I almost purchased one, but tight on $$$ and what am I going to do with another external Hard Drive?)

I have a extra 500gb external hard drive would that hold all of the recordings?
40% of 2 TB is 800 GB but Dish uses some disk space for other things. If Dish sets said 500 GB, you still probably have 600 GB to transfer. So 500GB is probably not enough. But if you are transferring content from one Hopper to another, you could do it in pieces if it all doesn't fit in 500 GB. If you want to transfer all the material off your original Hopper before the H3 install, I'd go for at least 1 TB.

Transfers to/from the EHD on H3 MAY be faster so you might look for a USB 3 external. They shouldn't be that much more these days. But do make sure it's a powered drive. USB powered drives aren't supported and don't always work. Inserting a powered USB hub in the path should power a bus-powered drive.

Most people recommend leaving content on the external HD since you won't loose content if the receiver fails, and for some reason internal drives seem to fail a lot. (I've had a couple failures since Hopper came out.) I use an external RAID (not supported but works great). The only down side to moving content to the EHD is you can't get to it from DishAnywhere.

3.Perhaps the BIGGEST ANNOYANCE--and one that can be a huge deal breaker for many who otherwise may want to use Customer Folders for household members--is that all recordings have NO SUBFOLDER.

This is exactly why we have two Hoppers for two people (myself and my wife). We watch some shows together, and each have our own shows as well. She gets super-annoyed when one of "my" shows appears in her list, and I get frustrated by the horrible clutter if I try to put "my" shows in a folder.

So unless this is fixed with the Hopper 3, we'll just stick to the 2 Hoppers...

Reactions: gdarwin
-
-
1. I do not have the warranty plan, how much will they charge me to install the new LNB and Switch?
-
2. Should I sign up for the warranty plan before I upgrade to get a discount?
-
3. I am one year into my Two You contract since I last upgraded to TWO Hoppers WS and one Joey 1.0, Will I have to sign a new contract? Will it be Two more years from the date of the Hopper 3 install?
-
4. I am not getting and Discounts or Price Locks, if I do a new Two you should I even ask? Long time customer, never late, auto pay.
-
5. Is it worth future proofing my install and getting one Hopper 4K , are the $50 extra? I dont have 4 K yet
-
-
CURRENT
HopperWS #1 free
Joey 1.0 $7
===============
$31
-
New Pricing
Hopper 3 free
Joey 2.0 $7
Joey 2.0 $7
DRV Service $15
================
$29

what's this warranty plan discount?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts