I just canceled DirectV and...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

eric92park

Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
CAli
The Website has absolutely zero information about what to do after.

I canceled the service 2 days ago(2/4) because we don't want the service for now and I check online today and I see the past due fee, and will I get charged with late fee for this? And will I get a paper bill for this? BEcause I was told I would get a paper bill next or next next week. I clearly told the girl I was talking to that I want it canceled on next week wednesday, but I guess she didn't want to do that for me. She was nice enough on the phone though.

And I am wondering when will the boxes come for returning equipments. If I am right, I have to return EVERYTHING right? Also how long does it normally take for boxes to get here? I just emailed them today and gonna call them tomorrow to double check everything because I hate getting into annoying terms with any company. I was going to put it on hold, but I realized I won't probably get back at directV until next year.

Also is there any fees for canceling? Not early termination fee, we had directv for 5 years.

If ANYONE can be clear about this, I would be so grateful. :)

The only thing they might want back are the receivers, but its possible you will get to keep those. What kind of receivers do you have?

The Website has absolutely zero information about what to do after.

I canceled the service 2 days ago(2/4) because we don't want the service for now and I check online today and I see the past due fee, and will I get charged with late fee for this? And will I get a paper bill for this? BEcause I was told I would get a paper bill next or next next week. I clearly told the girl I was talking to that I want it canceled on next week wednesday, but I guess she didn't want to do that for me. She was nice enough on the phone though.

And I am wondering when will the boxes come for returning equipments. If I am right, I have to return EVERYTHING right? Also how long does it normally take for boxes to get here? I just emailed them today and gonna call them tomorrow to double check everything because I hate getting into annoying terms with any company. I was going to put it on hold, but I realized I won't probably get back at directV until next year.

Also is there any fees for canceling? Not early termination fee, we had directv for 5 years.

If ANYONE can be clear about this, I would be so grateful. :)

1. No fees for canceling unless your undercontract but we would of said so when setting up your cancelation.

2. Boxes are tricky, the order for the recovery boxes will get automatically placed 72 hours after the account is disconnect, not when you call but when it finally happens. Example you said next wed, the order wont be created till Saturday which means boxes wont go out until Monday, which travel fedex ground so either that friday or the following monday you should have said boxes.

Chances are you own your boxes. I don't think they started the lease plan until 2006. Before that all boxes were owned. I could be wrong, so someone correct me if I am.

As for him owning the boxes or any money for the cancellation, he said he's been with them for 5 years, but if he's upgraded any boxes during that time, chances are he might still be in a contract.

IF he's had the SAME boxes the entire time then YES he's more than likely out of the contract and does OWN the boxes in which case he keeps them ...... unless he;s going to turn service back on somewhere down the line, they become door stops ....

I'm curious and SC may be able to answer this....if they don't ask for the boxes back and you cancel, what happens if you decide to sign back up a year or two down the line? Since you are not requesting anymore equipment/dish/service calls, are you able to turn the account back on without a contract? How would D* view those boxes at that point...."owned" or leased?

If you dont return the boxes and a NRF ( non return equipment fee ) you still dont own them and they most likey not reqactivate with them. Some agents will and not realize it a no no.

1. No fees for canceling unless your undercontract but we would of said so when setting up your cancelation.

2. Boxes are tricky, the order for the recovery boxes will get automatically placed 72 hours after the account is disconnect, not when you call but when it finally happens. Example you said next wed, the order wont be created till Saturday which means boxes wont go out until Monday, which travel fedex ground so either that friday or the following monday you should have said boxes.

Ohh that anwered my question. Anyhow they were being kind of... yeah fast. Because the TV got disconnected on sunday, even when i told them I want it to be canceled on wednesday. Still I will have 1 week left to send it if the boxes do come on friday.

I know with Dish they give you 30 days, I would imagine the policy would be simmilar with Directv to give them time to mail the boxes, a few days for you to take the equipment to the UPS drop-off and then given time for the boxes to be shipped, received at their warehouse and processed.

I know with Dish they give you 30 days, I would imagine the policy would be simmilar with Directv to give them time to mail the boxes, a few days for you to take the equipment to the UPS drop-off and then given time for the boxes to be shipped, received at their warehouse and processed.

i sent a box back a couple of years ago and i believe i had 7 to 10 days after signing for the return box to return the equipment. then dtv claimed they didn't get the receiver back even after they signed for it. they straightened that out in a hurry.

I was charged a NRF on day 21. They received the receiver on day 23, and credited my account back the NRF on day 25.

This was just shutting off a receiver. I think their standard is 21 days from the change/cancel, so after taking a week to get the box to you, you really only have about two weeks to send it out.

If it takes longer though, they will refund any charge if they do receive it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)