I just "moved"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Even the phone line should be fine but I probably wouldn't chance it. These days with number portability just tell them you ported your home line to vonage and take it with you. Phone numbers mean jack squat about location these days.

Even the phone line should be fine but I probably wouldn't chance it. These days with number portability just tell them you ported your home line to vonage and take it with you. Phone numbers mean jack squat about location these days.

Good point.

Yeah alot of us do this for either the issue of sports or local tv. Yes DTV and Dishnet are NOT stupid and know whats going on most of the time but the main thing is to SHUT UP and not say anything. I call it the "dont ask dont tell " policy. DTV and Dishnet know whats going on but they also have to cover themselves legally from getting in trouble. Dont advertise it

Like I said, I know it's wrong, I'm certainly not proud of it. Sometimes fans will do whatever it takes to see their home town team play. Most times I shell out the extra cash for it. I subscribe to NBA League Pass and MLB EI. Most years I get Sunday Ticket, this year I just can't afford it.

I wouldnt be proud either watching Jets games!

I 'moved' a few years ago to West Virginia from New Jersey (for DC locals), then 'moved' back here again when DirecTV started carrying MSG HD. During my conversations I got the definite feeling DirecTV did not care whatsoever what my story was, why I was moving, or where my phone lines were based out of.

Just pay your bill and everything was fine!

Sandra

2 months ago, I "moved" from California to NYC so I could watch shows on the big 4 networks 3 hours early! I love watching Conan O'Brien at 8:35pm! When I 'moved" the person on the phone didn't even seem to care that I wanted to keep my billing address in California! 3,000 miles away from my "current" service address! lol

I live in NY and I am planning to do this for the upcoming 09-10 NHL season. I want to get all of the Flyers games in HD, specifically the local Comcast affiliate in Philly which provides all of their games in HD.

Living in NY and even having Center Ice, blacks me out of a lot of Comcast Philly HD feeds.

I have questions for everyone that's done this, 1, what's your story for the rep on the phone? "Hi, I moved to a new home and want the local channels for this area" ?

2, what channels do I potentially lose by leaving the NY market? Is it just national sports contracts, like no more seeing Jets\Giants on Fox.. and seeing Eagles and possibly Skins?

3, are you required to provide a legit mailing address? or does it have to be a physical address? (non po box)

Is there a website\chart that breaks down the different broadcast regions and borders nationally? For all major networks?

TIA!

I live in NY and I am planning to do this for the upcoming 09-10 NHL season. I want to get all of the Flyers games in HD, specifically the local Comcast affiliate in Philly which provides all of their games in HD.

Living in NY and even having Center Ice, blacks me out of a lot of Comcast Philly HD feeds.

I have questions for everyone that's done this, 1, what's your story for the rep on the phone? "Hi, I moved to a new home and want the local channels for this area" ?

2, what channels do I potentially lose by leaving the NY market? Is it just national sports contracts, like no more seeing Jets\Giants on Fox.. and seeing Eagles and possibly Skins?

3, are you required to provide a legit mailing address? or does it have to be a physical address? (non po box)

Is there a website\chart that breaks down the different broadcast regions and borders nationally? For all major networks?

TIA!

If you mean you're 'moving' to Philly to receive the local Comcast RSN, that won't work. They've received a special injunction from Congress and have never allowed DirecTV or Dish to carry their network. Actually, if you 'move' to Philly you won't see any Flyers games on NHLCI, only national games on Versus or NBC.

The only way to see Flyers games on NHLCI is to live out of market. You will receive some games from Comcast Philly in HD, but more often you'll have to watch the opponent's feed.

But that certainly beats living in Philly and not being able to watch them on NHLCI at all.

Sandra

TIA!

In regards to the first question, I simply wrote them via e mail online and about 6 hours later it was taken care of. I just told them I was moving to a rental in New York and that it already had a dish and I was bringing my receivers with me. I gave them the address (which is my Uncle's) and it was all taken care of shortly after the e mail. You can maintain your same billing address if you choose and just change the "service" address. I think it has to be a valid physical address, so if you no someone in Philly and let them know you are going to use their address for this reason I'm sure you will be all good.

You can get the sports pack if you want and keep all your NY local regional sports channels if you choose. The only change will be instead of the NY local networks you will get the Philly ones. Luckily the Big 4 are not spotbeam so I can get them down here in NC, but the my9 and cw11 out of new york are on spotbeam so I lose those channels during the football season but it's worth it since I can get the Jet games over that time on CBS and the couple of games they are on FOX.

My suggestion for you is to check and see if you can pick up the Philly spotbeam out of NY, I'm not certain if you can do that so you may then end up having no NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC. You can only reach the spotbeams within a certain mileage and radius.

If you mean you're 'moving' to Philly to receive the local Comcast RSN, that won't work. They've received a special injunction from Congress and have never allowed DirecTV or Dish to carry their network. Actually, if you 'move' to Philly you won't see any Flyers games on NHLCI, only national games on Versus or NBC.

The only way to see Flyers games on NHLCI is to live out of market. You will receive some games from Comcast Philly in HD, but more often you'll have to watch the opponent's feed.

But that certainly beats living in Philly and not being able to watch them on NHLCI at all.

Sandra

Good point, I forgot about the whole issue with CSN Philly.

Wow, thanks for all of the great, detailed info. Funny how Comcast does this. Having NHL CI in NY I do get the majority of Comcast feeds but RARELY ever in HD.

Why is this the case? I have MLB EI and I receive Comcast Philly for Phillies game in HD literally almost every nite. Why is there such a difference between the NHL and MLB?

Wow, thanks for all of the great, detailed info. Funny how Comcast does this. Having NHL CI in NY I do get the majority of Comcast feeds but RARELY ever in HD.

Why is this the case? I have MLB EI and I receive Comcast Philly for Phillies game in HD literally almost every nite. Why is there such a difference between the NHL and MLB?

It's totally up to the league. For both sports there have been considerable HD games added every year, so there is hope for more HD hockey (CSN Philly, Canadian RSN's, etc) this year as well.

Sandra

DirecTV doesn't care as long as you pay your bill. I gave them my sister's address in Houston as my service address, so I could get the Houston locals (they're in HD, and not all of mine are). My billing address is still in Bryan, TX. It's obvious what I am doing, but I pay my bill, so why would they care?

KNWS 51 in Houston shows Cheaters every night at 9. I am now completely addicted to it (My guiltiest pleasure). I'll never "move back!"
:D

You could always say your home net is on a VPN, but I agree with a previous poster who said it is highly unlikely that DirecTV would send millions of IP addresses through a Geo service to determine where they are. The only thing I'd be certain of is that all receivers are reporting the same IP address...

In regards to the first question, I simply wrote them via e mail online and about 6 hours later it was taken care of. I just told them I was moving to a rental in New York and that it already had a dish and I was bringing my receivers with me. I gave them the address (which is my Uncle's) and it was all taken care of shortly after the e mail. You can maintain your same billing address if you choose and just change the "service" address. I think it has to be a valid physical address, so if you no someone in Philly and let them know you are going to use their address for this reason I'm sure you will be all good.

You can get the sports pack if you want and keep all your NY local regional sports channels if you choose. The only change will be instead of the NY local networks you will get the Philly ones. Luckily the Big 4 are not spotbeam so I can get them down here in NC, but the my9 and cw11 out of new york are on spotbeam so I lose those channels during the football season but it's worth it since I can get the Jet games over that time on CBS and the couple of games they are on FOX.

My suggestion for you is to check and see if you can pick up the Philly spotbeam out of NY, I'm not certain if you can do that so you may then end up having no NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC. You can only reach the spotbeams within a certain mileage and radius.

I am about to do the same thing..does my email sound similar to what you sent:

moving/have dish/want to update account with proper info/address

BTW, you should update you handle to either TEX4MVP or JETR4MVP

sori is a bit dated.

I am about to do the same thing..does my email sound similar to what you sent:

moving/have dish/want to update account with proper info/address

BTW, you should update you handle to either TEX4MVP or JETR4MVP

sori is a bit dated.

That should be good. Just told them for job related purposes I'm staying at a rental unit for the next few months that already has a dish and is ready to go and I'm just going to bring my existing receivers with me and gave them the new address. They don''t ask any questions.

LOL, yeah. Sori is very dated indeed, I first joined a Yankee Message board back in 2001 when Soriano was still with the Yanks and pretty much every message board I've join still to this date I use the same handle.

So, do you think this would work?

I am a contractor who will be "working" in LA for the next 3 months. I want to bring one of my receivers with me, but leave 2 for my wife and kids. Is it possible to get the LA locals on one receiver only?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)