I just upgraded 2 HR10's to HR20's... questions... remote addresses & channel lsts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NGeorge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Olympia, WA
Hey All;

I've lurked around for a while and figured it might be about time for me to make a post. I need some help with my two HR20-700's that I had installed yesterday to upgrade my HR10's with the wonderful Tivo software that I have been used to since 2002.

I've already figured out the interface differences and can put up with that... the lack of suggestions is dissapointing, but again, I can deal with that... the remote can turn on my TV with one press instead of 10 rapid presses that the Tivo remote took--that somewhat makes up for the bulkiness... the main 2 things I can't seem to figure out though that are really bothering me:

(also note I believe I have software version 117... the boxes came with 110, and upgraded within an hour which lightened up the color scheme)

1. "Channels I Receive"--I found the list--how do I modify it? It says "these are the channels you receive", but it lists nearly every channel, including PPVs, adult, Cinemax, RSN's and Spanish channels that I don't get. I've already noticed this to be a problem since I have auto-records for actors, and it's already trying to stash PPVs and record things on Cinemax... It says I "receive" 623 of 670 channels... On my HR10's I cut this down to about 170 channels that I actually wanted to receive, then made my Favorites lists from there. I made my favorites list from the big list in the HR20, but it ignores this. It also doesn't reliably record the HDTV versions--on the HR10's I would intentionally remove the SD HBO and SHO E & W feeds to force it to record from the HD feed... Since my locals now have 2 channels, one SD, one HD with the same number I have a similar problem with them as well.

2. Multiple remote addresses--I have the two HR20's hooked up to my home theatre so that I have my list and everyone else has a list. With the Tivo it was easy... One unit had Remote Address 1, one had Remote Address 2. I couldn't find this, and the installer had never done 2 receivers on 1 TV before with HR20's so I called tech support. They had no clue. "point the receivers away from each other"---ummmm... yeah right. I went online and found directions to make one receiver work with the AV1 button and the other work with the DTV button on the remote... I like this because either remote can work with either unit--but there are glitches. On the "DTV" unit, when in DTV mode, the volume and mute work with the A/V receiver, which is programmed to AV2. On the "AV1" unit, the volume and mute only control the TV, even when the receiver is programmed to AV2... it's annoying because you have to flip to AV2 to change volume/mute, where on the "DTV" unit, volume/mute comes from AV2 just like it should. Is there any way to program this? I tried putting in my A/V receiver code into the "TV" button on the AV1 unit's remote--to no avail.

Thanks for any help you guys can get... if I am unimpressed with the new HD that is supposed to be coming, the HR10's may be making a comeback lol.

--Nat

1. Use Custom 1 or 2 to select which channels you want to show. Topk about 5 minutes to got htrough the whole list and remove channels I didn't want showing.

2. You could enable RF on one and leave the other as an IR remote.

Enjoy!

1. Use Custom 1 or 2 to select which channels you want to show. Topk about 5 minutes to got htrough the whole list and remove channels I didn't want showing.
I understand (and I assume the OP does) that we can remove channels using favorites lists. But I don't want channels that I truly don't receive to be in my channel list when I'm viewing all channels. Is there not a way to edit the 'channels I receive' so that the list is truly only channels I receive? I don't get Showtime (for example), so why would I want it to show in my channel list - EVER?

I've been wondering the same thing OP, but hadn't found an answer yet.

I like the IR/RF idea, but don't I need a special remote or an extender? DirecTV (again) has no clue. I'm still playing with it.

As for the channel lists, it's a more pressing issue, and I am well aware of the Custom 1 and 2 lists... I already modified them. This does not fix the problem. The problem is the "channels I receive" list--this is the master list that determines what can go into the favorites list, and where the recorder can look for Actor Wishli... er Person Auto-Record. If that list cannot be modified, then the recorder, upon finding a match for the actor will record from any channel, be it a PPV or a channel I don't receive, or a non-HD channel even though an HD one may be available. The list looks like it can & should be modified as it was in the HR10, only the boxes are squares and can't be checked/unchecked. This is an essential function to me, and it seems stupid that it cannot be modified--just how do they determine "which channels I receive" anyway? It shows that I receive 623 of 670 channels (I only want the DVR to receive/actually see about 170 of these). Can I call the CSRs up and have them modify the list for me?

--Nat

The Channels I Receive issue is a well know problem and D* knows about it. From what's been said in other threads it's not something that will be an easy fix, it's a major change to how D* does things. Know it's not the answer you want to hear now but hopefully D* will fix it eventually, but with all the things in their basket at the moment it will probably be a long time.

I like the IR/RF idea, but don't I need a special remote or an extender? DirecTV (again) has no clue. I'm still playing with it.

if your remote has an FCC sticker on the back that is the special remote

To get the volume from AV2 device punched through to all devices:

1. av2
2. press and hold MUTE& SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press SELECT

If you wish to just restore the tv volume to the tv device:

1. tv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 3
4. press VOL DOWN

The Channels I Receive issue is a well know problem and D* knows about it. From what's been said in other threads it's not something that will be an easy fix, it's a major change to how D* does things. Know it's not the answer you want to hear now but hopefully D* will fix it eventually, but with all the things in their basket at the moment it will probably be a long time.

Just curious how this is such a major change? The functionality seems there... the HR10-250 could easily do that. Why would there even be a "channels you receive" list function if it couldn't actually reflect the channels you receive?

I guess I would believe it is more broken if it said that I received all 670 of 670 channels... it says I receive 623 of 670 channels. What is making it determine that I only get 623 of them, and is there a way to make whatever thinks I get 623 of 670 to think I get the 170 of 670 that I really want it to think I get?

--Nat

Just curious how this is such a major change? The functionality seems there... the HR10-250 could easily do that. Why would there even be a "channels you receive" list function if it couldn't actually reflect the channels you receive?

I guess I would believe it is more broken if it said that I received all 670 of 670 channels... it says I receive 623 of 670 channels. What is making it determine that I only get 623 of them, and is there a way to make whatever thinks I get 623 of 670 to think I get the 170 of 670 that I really want it to think I get?

--Nat

From what I understand, it actually requires a change in guide data structure for D*. They tried to make this change last year and it ended up breaking some HR20s and HR10s.

For the remote issue you can enable the RF function forund in the menu.
First press Menu > Then got to Settings >Then Setup > Then Remote > Now go to the RF/IR option
Read the directions on how to program you remote to RF.
*Note on some remotes even with RF on, the IR stays on too, so you may need to block the IR receptor on both HR20's, since you will no longer need the IR receptor.

I was actually able to just make one of them RF and one of the IR... works great. I also figured out how to enable the audio on AV2 with the receiver on AV1 (must program the AV receiver before the DTV receiver), but decided to just do the IR on one, RF on the other, both set on DTV. Keeps the remotes separate just like the Tivos were. Theoretically it means you could have up to 4 units in one room--RF DTV and AV1 and IR DTV and AV1.

I'm still not convinced that it is a problem with the guide data for the D* receivers being able to choose the "channels I get"... I've had a number of Tivo units dating back to late '02, and as far back as I could remember, you could always pick the channels you receive from the master list, and make your favorites out of those channels... there was a temporary bug with the HR10-250's in a release that broke this functionality--for about 2 months until a new software update came out.

--Nat

HR20 is just a DVR...not a TiVo
That fact has obviously been discussed all over the place. The two are different, and each has it's pluses.

But don't label a screen "channels I receive" when it's actually "channels that DirecTV carries even though I may not get them all". A "channels I receive" screen should either be smart enough to determine those channels or allow you to modify as appropriate.

I'm trying to remember if my H10 (which my HR20 just replaced) had that option? Since it's probably running the same basic software, I'm guessing it didn't.

Working professionally in tech support (proprietary internal software), that's an outright design flaw or even software defect. Even if they simply changed the label to "channels" it would at least be labeled correctly. The lack of DLB was probably a conscious decision (although many would argue a bad one), but couldn't be considered a "defect".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts