I just wanted to watch more Golf! :(

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Well, that and get NFL and Redzone channels while keeping ESPN! And boy did that get expensive quick!

Currently with ATT TV @Entertainment level. No Golf channel, not either NFL channels but have ESPN. So I figured how much to up to get Golf Channel?

Turns out to go from Entertainment @$50 to Xtra, which is where the Golf channel is, costs $40 more! DAMN!

For a little more I could cancel, pay the ETF and switch to ATT TV Now Max. But of course, no NFL or Redzone since none of ATT’s streaming has those.

And since I’m still in 1st year with an ETF of $15/month if I cancel ATT TV altogether, virtually everything else that can come close is about the same total cost with poorer, though not really bad PQ, and only stereo sound.

Well, that and get NFL and Redzone channels while keeping ESPN! And boy did that get expensive quick!

Currently with ATT TV @Entertainment level. No Golf channel, not either NFL channels but have ESPN. So I figured how much to up to get Golf Channel?

Turns out to go from Entertainment @$50 to Xtra, which is where the Golf channel is, costs $40 more! DAMN!

For a little more I could cancel, pay the ETF and switch to ATT TV Now Max. But of course, no NFL or Redzone since none of ATT’s streaming has those.

And since I’m still in 1st year with an ETF of $15/month if I cancel ATT TV altogether, virtually everything else that can come close is about the same total cost with poorer, though not really bad PQ, and only stereo sound.
Most of the major golf is on the networks. Is there enough on Golf channel to make it worth it.

Most of the major golf is on the networks. Is there enough on Golf channel to make it worth it.

Sure there is. Oft times the 1st & 2nd days of tournaments are on the Golf Channel and then move to another channel for the weekend. And if you are actually a golf fan then it isn’t only the ‘majors’ that are of interest.

EDIT: I didn’t actually address the ‘worth it’ part did I? :)

The channel is worth having IMO, it is not worth the extra it would cost me to get it most likely. No matter how I juggle things it would add at least $30/month to the bill. And yeah that would get me quite a few more channels, nearly zero of which are of interest. :(

Sure there is. Oft times the 1st & 2nd days of tournaments are on the Golf Channel and then move to another channel for the weekend. And if you are actually a golf fan then it isn’t only the ‘majors’ that are of interest.

EDIT: I didn’t actually address the ‘worth it’ part did I? :)

The channel is worth having IMO, it is not worth the extra it would cost me to get it most likely. No matter how I juggle things it would add at least $30/month to the bill. And yeah that would get me quite a few more channels, nearly zero of which are of interest. :(
there is free stuff from the PGA on Pluto, both live and reruns.

PGA also signed a deal with ESPN+, here is the upcoming schedule

Well my problem is solved! :)

I had given serious thought to just adding SlingBlue+Total TV @$50/month. Would have duplicated a lot of channels, but picked up a few including Golf, NFL and Redzone among others. And while that would work, it only works well for the next 4 months because of ATT TV’s contract situation.

ATT TV Now Max actually really fits the bill, add AMC+ to it to get AMC, BBCA and a few others @$9 and all in it costs $89/month. But there is still that pesky ETF on ATT TV! :(

So I finally said to hell with it, cancel ATT TV and switch to YTTV which, @$65/month has it all. And just eat the ETF. So I called to cancel, got a really nice CSR and after a bit of chit chat we got to the cancellation. She asked what I’d switch to and I told her ATT TV Now Max fit the bill very nicely but because of cost probably wouldn’t go that way.

She says wait and let me see if I can get the ETF waived if you’re going to ATT TV Now Max. She got the approval, cancellation done and I’m now on ATT TV Now Max! No NFL but that’s more of an issue for my son than me as I can see all the football I want with other channels. Got the Golf channel.

Notables missing. Discovery, History, TLC, Lifetime, WE, AMC, BBCA and NFL. Only AMC/BBCA are of interest, so not a big loss.

If you are a golf fan, the Golf Channel is a must. The material on ESPN+ is just supplemental to the main coverage, which generally is on GC except for the last couple of hours of the weekend rounds. The free PGA channel on Pluto is just reruns from years gone by.

And GC knows this, and know the high demographic value of golf viewers, which is why it gets big $$ for carriage rights.

Yeah, the Golf channel is definitely needed for golf fans. And just like virtually all other sports channels, it is impossible to get streaming except via a live streaming service.

Cheapest way is SlingBlue+Sports pack @$40/month.

So after cancelling out ATT TV I have now signed with ATT TV Now Max.

$80/month for the service. Includes HBO Max & Cinemax which I usually sub to all the time so effectively raising my out of pocket $55/month. And for the channels included that is a decent price. And of course, the best live streaming PQ is from AT&T and the audio is DD5.1 which none of the other live streamers do.

I also sub’d to AMC+ @$9/month to pick up BBCA/AMC/Shudder/IFC and Sundance.

So $89 out the door with the effective increase in out of pocket being $64.

Yeah I twiddled around and finally got to see that PGA app. @$10/month it isn’t a real bargain and it leaves out a lot of golf coverage.