I know I’m nitpicking, but why do so many people type “alot” when...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
...when any English teacher will tell you it’s two words (“a lot”). I also try to stay using the best grammar I’m aware of (except when I’m using slang) so I’m aware that people should say “I’m doing well” not “I’m doing good”. The only time when someone say “I did good” is when you did a noble deed. The only thing I’m aware of that I have trouble with is when to use “who” and when to use “whom”. Now I know even my grammar isn’t perfect, and I probably even made some errors in this post as well, but I try to be best at least what should be common knowledge, and as I said, the only time I intentionally don’t use proper grammar is when I use slang or even when I cuss. But I admit I also don’t know how many people are actually using the term “alot” as slang or aren’t aware that that’s not actually a word.

...when any English teacher will tell you it’s two words (“a lot”). I also try to stay using the best grammar I’m aware of (except when I’m using slang) so I’m aware that people should say “I’m doing well” not “I’m doing good”. The only time when someone say “I did good” is when you did a noble deed. The only thing I’m aware of that I have trouble with is when to use “who” and when to use “whom”. Now I know even my grammar isn’t perfect, and I probably even made some errors in this post as well, but I try to be best at least what should be common knowledge, and as I said, the only time I intentionally don’t use proper grammar is when I use slang or even when I cuss. But I admit I also don’t know how many people are actually using the term “alot” as slang or aren’t aware that that’s not actually a word.
One of our English teachers, Mrs Harter, had something called the 'ALOT CLUB' on her blackboard. If you used a lot incorrectly as alot your name was listed on the board for all to see. :hiding

Reactions: TheKrell
Sorry friend, I can't tell if this is a real question / concern or just a really funny joke...?

This is america. A place where we the people felt a need to conjure up, legislate, and legalize stuff like ebonics.

Basically, "alot" of people are quick to be confused... :drunk

Reactions: Comptech
One of our English teachers, Mrs Harter, had something called the 'ALOT CLUB' on her blackboard. If you used a lot incorrectly as alot your name was listed on the board for all to see. :hiding
Yikes. Makes me wonder if some of the past school shooting casualties involving teachers had said teacher acting in a noble fashion protecting the students or was that teacher's name simply on the "hit list" as another bully...

Yikes. Makes me wonder if some of the past school shooting casualties involving teachers had said teacher acting in a noble fashion protecting the students or was that teacher's name simply on the "hit list" as another bully...
Could be, nobody seems to have any patience any more. Cross em' and that's it. :( For what it's worth Mrs Harter was actually a great teacher. Very easy going (other than the ALOT CLUB) and always willing to help if you needed it. She also did things like clubs, etc. :)

Reactions: Jimbo and TV Junkie
Could be, nobody seems to have any patience any more. Cross em' and that's it. :( For what it's worth Mrs Harter was actually a great teacher. Very easy going (other than the ALOT CLUB) and always willing to help if you needed it. She also did things like clubs, etc. :)

I couldn't agree more!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Oh you need to spend some time in the panhandle of Florida.
I got an afterdavid sayin' that trailer's mine.
I gots a real good ideal the other night at the pub.
Mary lou's my sister-cousin.
I can't wait to git home and re-cline in my valooah 'polstered La-Z-Boy.
Well, uncle Billy's finally enjoyin' comfterbility in heaven.
At the auto parts store: Y'all got any them battery post-ses-ses?
Y'all better puts some close-pins on yer fuel line so's the double pumper don't vaper-lawk.

Oh, there's so much more! And they called me a dumb Yankee.
Makes alot, a lot, seem so petty unless you don't have your afterdavid saying the trailer lot is paid up for the year.

The teacher found he had to allot more time for a lot of the students to complete the exam.....I thought there was another form of the word, but it's spelled differently.

Reactions: FTA4PA
That reminds me of some words or phrases I've read:

X is more expensive then Y - --- instead of the correct X is more expensive than Y

shouldoff been instead of the correct should have been

Columbia instead of Colombia (the South American country)

Reactions: TheKrell
That reminds me of some words or phrases I've read:

X is more expensive then Y - --- instead of the correct X is more expensive than Y

shouldoff been instead of the correct should have been

Columbia instead of Colombia (the South American country)
Thats because in spanish

Christopher Columbus
Is
Cristobal colonbus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)