I know this has been addressed but question on hopper 3 ehd

Mandeville985

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2016
Mandeville, La
So given that I've seen different posts about the internal hd on the hopper failing.. I've narrowed it down to a 2tb WD usb 3.0 ehd to transfer my saved recordings too as a backup.. My only question is should I go with one with an external power supply?

And was looking at the 2tb WD elements ehd that stands vertical.. That the most reliable? I have done search on the forums but want to confirm that is the best choice before buying

ANY, AC powered WD (or Seagate, though not as popular) will work with no one more reliable than the other. You are overthinking the issue.

Reactions: Mandeville985
ANY, AC powered WD (or Seagate, though not as popular) will work with no one more reliable than the other. You are overthinking the issue.
Lol.. Thank you, I always overthink crap. Just ordered the WD elements desktop ehd that is powered. Thank you all for the responses.

Just the one I have! I've been using it for my 722 before it got replaced with my Hopper 1 since 2012, and now it sits on my Hopper 3. Good choice.

I'm glad, it obviously Is a solid hd. I plan on just backing up the main dvr Hd for now. Once full I'll also back it up to one of my media servers.. I have two with about 10tb total capacity

Network backups are not possible. The EHD needs to be directly connected to the Hopper.
Yep, just plug it in to a USB port, let it format and start transferring whatever you want to keep. If you use PTAT, heed earlier warnings on how you can transfer those over. That can be a chore.

Yep, just plug it in to a USB port, let it format and start transferring whatever you want to keep. If you use PTAT, heed earlier warnings on how you can transfer those over. That can be a chore.

PTAT to me is merely a convenience, I mainly want to just keep my direct series recording for the kids and me (walking dead, the flash, etc) then keep our recorded fav movies.

Once full I'll also back it up to one of my media servers.. I have two with about 10tb total capacity
If I understand what you are thinking, there is no backing up. Has to be direct to the original drive recorded on...no copying due to encryption.

If I understand what you are thinking, there is no backing up. Has to be direct to the original drive recorded on...no copying due to encryption.

Ok. So I CAN backup recordings made on the internal hd to the ehd.. But I can't back up the ehd to another hd on my media server? Or must I record from the hopper directly to the ehd?