I love Dish but can no longer justify it.

Well after 17 years I am leaving. I made my first post here Mar 5,2005 and got Dish Mar 27, 2005. I will say without question Dish has the best DVR system of any provider. The Hopper 3 / Joey system is awesome and I love it but I can no longer justify what it costs. I have been paying 122 a month for Dish. For $64.99 I get more from YoutubeTV. Granted the DVR system is not near as nice but we are talking $57 a month less or $684 a year less which is approaching a weeks pay less per year. I have always been a big dish suporter but this is a lot. I can not justiy working almost an extra week a year to have a little better DVR service.
I feel the same way. Thanksgiving at my house and realized that I cant watch WUSA9 because Dish is in a dispute I tried to hook up OTA BUT I live in a townhouse. So trying to figure out next option I love the reliability of Dish with no buffering but i need to get what I pay for

Reactions: peggy97850
I feel the same way. Thanksgiving at my house and realized that I cant watch WUSA9 because Dish is in a dispute I tried to hook up OTA BUT I live in a townhouse. So trying to figure out next option I love the reliability of Dish with no buffering but i need to get what I pay for
There are decent indoor antennas too. They do not work as well inside, but if you aren't too far, it may work. In the house here, I do not get all translators with an indoor antenna, but most, if I needed one. I do use an outdoor antenna.

Thanksgiving at my house and realized that I cant watch WUSA9 because Dish is in a dispute I tried to hook up OTA BUT I live in a townhouse.
I suggest putting in your address here and see which direction and how far away WUSA9 is. From where I am in Fairfax, all my local stations are miraculously in the same direction (due NE). I put up a fringe antenna on my roof to try and get stations beyond Washington. I get all those stations, including WUSA9, at 100%. I even get fairly reliable Baltimore stations with that antenna, as well as MPT out of Annapolis. So, if you can post that Rabbitears result here, we can make a better assessment of what you need to get OTA. Oh, and tell us if you have a balcony to work with. Once I had this working to my satisfaction, I dropped locals via sat and never looked back.

Dropped Dish last March. The only reason I had it until then was because in 2019 I moved, and I kept Dish for the RSNs. 2 months later they were gone, and I still had 22 months on a 2 year contract. When I got within 3 months of the end of the contract, the dish was gone. Switched to Fubo. It has all the channels we want, I pay quarterly, so for my $65 a month I also get the premium channel package and a 1000 hour DVR. I have a combination of 15 Roku and Firestick devices (2 houses, traded out the Firesticks when I didn't need the Dish Anywhere app anymore). They are mine, one time purchase. Even the Joey I "bought" Dish charged me for every month. I will never again subscribe to a service which requires a contract. If I decide I don't like Fubo anymore, I can try whatever else looks good, no equipment to return, no one in retention who I have to talk to to get my service cancelled. Saving about $50 a month. I was never that committed to any provider. in the last 25 years I've had Primestar, DirecTV, Dish, Cox Cable, DirecTV, Mediacom, Dish, DirecTV, and Dish. Whoever currently had the best equipment, best deal, and the channels I wanted. Cable and satellite have had their day. It's not like they ever had any loyalty to me. Why should I be loyal to them?

Well I did it. It took 30 minutes on the phone and in the end as I was a "Platinum Customer" I was offered $35 a month off if I locked in for 2 years but I cancelled Dish. I would have done this sooner but I was worried about my wife not liking streaming as she is not that tech savvy. After trying YouTube TV for 3 weeks she actually told me she liked it better and that was all I needed to hear.
I will still say if anyone ask with the hopper3/Joey system Dish has the best Whole home DVR system available but it is just no longer worth it to me at least.