Status
Please reply by conversation.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Just switched one of my tablets from Verizon to AT&T.

They put me on a 4GB $40 data plan for my iPad.

Sure was nice streaming live Directv data free for over 8 hours today.

I would have hated to see the overages on my Verizon account.

So I took the iPad off my Verizon account so that saved $10/mo. My net cost is only $30 more.

Can't justify switching all 32 lines from my business account over from Verizon to AT&T unless Dish somehow merged with Verizon, but not having to worry about data is awesome.

Reactions: Jillian2
it can still throttle after 22gb

Are you certain? I couldn't find that detail anywhere. This is all I could find:

"DATA FREE TV: Residential DIRECTV & select wireless customers in the U.S. (excludes PR and U.S.V.I.). In-App streaming does not count against your data allotments."

Also, you don't have to have an unlimited data plan for this to apply.

not 100% anymore, as the plans have changed in the last week

Good point. The way it used to work is, on any data plan, video streaming using the DirecTV app used none of your data allotment, with no caps. As long as you were both an AT&T and a DirecTV customer, you should be able to literally stream 24x7x365 with no additional data charges. Perhaps they now cap it?

Edit - *they will throttle it as needed all the time as part of their "network management" practices.

so they can still throttle. ok, where did you find it? and does it apply to the directv streaming?

Are you certain? I couldn't find that detail anywhere. This is all I could find:

"DATA FREE TV: Residential DIRECTV & select wireless customers in the U.S. (excludes PR and U.S.V.I.). In-App streaming does not count against your data allotments."

Also, you don't have to have an unlimited data plan for this to apply.
I was also curious about that, I know they do at 22 on regular accounts, but have not heard anything about when using Google the D* app.
This would be good to know.

Their terms say that "Specifically, if a customer on a smartphone with a post-paid Unlimited Data Plan exceeds 22GB of data usage in a billing period, he or she may experience reduced data speeds and increased latency during periods of congestion as compared to other customers using the same cell site.". But then again for the DIRECTV streaming they say "In-App streaming does not count against your data allotments. Exclusions: App download may incur data usage/charges. Bonus Data will be provided to help cover ads and non-streaming app activity that may incur data usage. Excludes streaming through GenieGO/Nomad.". So I read that as if you're streaming then that does not count against usage to you're not subject to the 22GB limit.

BTW, when I setup the account I went to an at&t store and specifically told them what I was using it for.

That's why the had to do the $40/mo data plan.

The only issue is that stream closes or freezes after a few hours. You need to close and relaunch

Data means nothing to me. I can't stream via cell phone unless I am 30 miles or so from home, where this urban luxury of 4G LTE exists. Some of my family who lives nearby and I are on a family Verizon plan and share 1 GB of data, of which we've never come close to using.

Throttling back speed in a video feed will destroy the viewing experience.

Yea, but if it's DIRECTV sourced then it's not throttled since DIRECTV video doesn't count agains your usage.

Well, about that:

"Will this affect the quality of my video?

The Data Free TV feature won’t affect the quality of your video. However, DIRECTV uses video optimization technology in the Apps to provide a better streaming experience, and content is commonly viewable in Standard Definition quality. However, the App does this with all streams and this is not related to Data Free TV."

https://support.directv.com/streaming-dtv/data-free-tv-faq-2

And apparently, data caps do apply once you hit them:

"I have an unlimited plan, but I do know that AT&T might limit download speed if I go past 22GB in one month. Does Data-Free TV apply to me?

Yes, Data Free TV does not count towards the 22GB monthly threshold. But, once your threshold is met and you are in a congested areas, network management will apply to content delivered by the DIRECTV and U-verse apps, just like all other content delivered by the AT&T wireless network.

Will Data Free TV still apply if I go over my data allotment on my Mobile Share Advantage plan?

If you reach your data allotment with your Mobile Share Advantage plan and you’ve exhausted your Rollover Data, and any other high speed allotments, all data usage, including that for Data Free TV, will be slowed to 128 Kbps for the rest of your bill cycle. You will not be able to stream video during this time. If you want more high speed data you can change your plan."

Well, about that:

"Will this affect the quality of my video?

The Data Free TV feature won’t affect the quality of your video. However, DIRECTV uses video optimization technology in the Apps to provide a better streaming experience, and content is commonly viewable in Standard Definition quality. However, the App does this with all streams and this is not related to Data Free TV."

https://support.directv.com/streaming-dtv/data-free-tv-faq-2

And apparently, data caps do apply once you hit them:

"I have an unlimited plan, but I do know that AT&T might limit download speed if I go past 22GB in one month. Does Data-Free TV apply to me?

Yes, Data Free TV does not count towards the 22GB monthly threshold. But, once your threshold is met and you are in a congested areas, network management will apply to content delivered by the DIRECTV and U-verse apps, just like all other content delivered by the AT&T wireless network.

Will Data Free TV still apply if I go over my data allotment on my Mobile Share Advantage plan?

If you reach your data allotment with your Mobile Share Advantage plan and you’ve exhausted your Rollover Data, and any other high speed allotments, all data usage, including that for Data Free TV, will be slowed to 128 Kbps for the rest of your bill cycle. You will not be able to stream video during this time. If you want more high speed data you can change your plan."
Guess we need a lawyer to figure it out. If DIRECT streaming doesn't count against your usage caps then if you don't go over your mobile share plan allocation then I don't see how they can throttle you on DIRECTV streaming.

so you can streamm 100 of gb of directv without throttle, until other sources hi 22gb, then its all throttled?

makes perfect sense........................

Status
Please reply by conversation.