AT&T Data Breach

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Millions of current and former AT&T customers learned over the weekend that hackers have likely stolen their personal information and are sharing it on the dark web.

I heard something over the weekend and assumed it was for phone users, got an e-mail yesterday...

Dear Customer,
We take cybersecurity very seriously and privacy is a fundamental commitment at AT&T.

We have discovered that the AT&T account passcode – that you may have used as an extra layer of protection for your DIRECTV or U‑verse account ‑ has been compromised. Therefore, AT&T has proactively reset your passcode.

Reactions: AZ.
I believe my emails have all changed since I had ATT. Certainly my mailing address has. Doubt I will hear from them.

I had ATT for internet way back in the 90s as part of a promotion through IBM at the time. I also had an ATT land line for a long time. The internet id shows up on deep web occasionally. I have all my credit reports locked.

These are the reasons why I only stream and pay for them with gift cards, still have TracFone and have two step on every bank/credit card, also have no loans with any banks.

Also, any purchases offer $1000 I have to inform the bank first.

And yes, I have everything locked, so hopefully they will stop any new cards opening up in my name, is it perfect, no, but hopefully just enough.

Why is it always seem it is those who provides services or sell you something that seems to get hacked, Dish, Sony, AT&T, Equifax in 2017, Red Cross in 2022, Marriott in 2018, the only bank type I could find was Capital One in 2019 and of course Equifax.

These are the reasons why I only stream and pay for them with gift cards, still have TracFone and have two step on every bank/credit card, also have no loans with any banks.

Also, any purchases offer $1000 I have to inform the bank first.

And yes, I have everything locked, so hopefully they will stop any new cards opening up in my name, is it perfect, no, but hopefully just enough.

Why is it always seem it is those who provides services or sell you something that seems to get hacked, Dish, Sony, AT&T, Equifax in 2017, Red Cross in 2022, Marriott in 2018, the only bank type I could find was Capital One in 2019 and of course Equifax.
Because small companies getting hacked don't make the news. Also, ransomware isn't commonly revealed to the public.

I've got to imagine banks need to have robust online security.

Because small companies getting hacked don't make the news. Also, ransomware isn't commonly revealed to the public.

I've got to imagine banks need to have robust online security.
Those companies I listed are not small.

Personally, it is exhausting to do the double, triple, quadruple, bioauthentication on numerous services, utilities, etc...

And the provider, service company, utility, etc... just give up the whole list. These people don't need to hack into accounts, they just need to hack into the server.

I received an email regarding this issue recently. Just waiting to see how many of the approximately 7.6 million affected customers get together and file some kind of lawsuit, if it hasn't already happened.

Personally, it is exhausting to do the double, triple, quadruple, bioauthentication on numerous services, utilities, etc...
I do not find it exhausting at all, takes a few extra seconds, I worked my *** off so I could first retire at 52, I prefer the extra steps to feel a little safer.

I do not find it exhausting at all, takes a few extra seconds, I worked my *** off so I could first retire at 52, I prefer the extra steps to feel a little safer.
I think you missed the point on this one Bruce. His point is he goes thru all the "safety" procedures and it's all for nought because all they have to do is hack the server and get all the info anyway irregardless of how many authentication processes are in place for the user/customer. In other words they don't have to hack your account when they can hack the server and get all the accounts.

I think you missed the point on this one Bruce. His point is he goes thru all the "safety" procedures and it's all for nought because all they have to do is hack the server and get all the info anyway irregardless of how many authentication processes are in place for the user/customer. In other words they don't have to hack your account when they can hack the server and get all the accounts.
Nope, I understood his point, but my point is not giving up, do not make it easy for them.

Again, I have no services that require my SS number, even Charter did not ask for it, my Cell Phone is thru TracFone, so no SS number, I stream everything, again, no SS number.

The only ones that have is is my Bank, my financial investment Bank, my only two Credit Cards.

Then to access those account, have to go thru 2 step, to prevent nefarious activity.

I also have my credit report locked, so if they did get my SS number, could not get a CC Card in my name.

My point remains, since 2018, the things that get hacked are those who sell goods and services, those are the ones who do not have my SS number.

Nope, I understood his point, but my point is not giving up, do not make it easy for them.

Again, I have no services that require my SS number, even Charter did not ask for it, my Cell Phone is thru TracFone, so no SS number, I stream everything, again, no SS number.
The only ones that have is is my Bank, my financial investment Bank, my only two Credit Cards.

Then to access those account, have to go thru 2 step, to prevent nefarious activity.

I also have my credit report locked, so if they did get my SS number, could not get a CC Card in my name.
As an FYI, if you feel the need to lock your credit report, you don't trust any of the other systems to work.
My point remains, since 2018, the things that get hacked are those who sell goods and services, those are the ones who do not have my SS number.
Your point is wrong because everyone is getting / has been hacked. Even my minor daughter's data is floating out there because some company (presumably health care) lost it.

Really, think about it. Where is the money? It is in all the data, not an individual account. Someone slips into a system, pulls out the data, they put it online in their Ayn Rand Utopia Dark Website, and they probably get a commission on all fraud. Obviously phishing can be profitable in bulk, which is why it is still a thing, but imagine phishing is much more profitable for ransomware deployment access, than hacking a utility bill.

As an FYI, if you feel the need to lock your credit report, you don't trust any of the other systems to work.
Duh.
Your point is wrong because everyone is getting / has been hacked. Even my minor daughter's data is floating out there because some company (presumably health care) lost it.

Really, think about it. Where is the money? It is in all the data, not an individual account. Someone slips into a system, pulls out the data, they put it online in their Ayn Rand Utopia Dark Website, and they probably get a commission on all fraud. Obviously phishing can be profitable in bulk, which is why it is still a thing, but imagine phishing is much more profitable for ransomware deployment access, than hacking a utility bill.
So you want to just give up, make it easy for them, since, as you say, it is going to happen anyways?

I refuse to have that type of mindset, I will take every opportunity to make it harder on the criminals.

Reactions: thomasjk
So you want to just give up, make it easy for them, since, as you say, it is going to happen anyways?
No, I said it was frustrating. These companies lost our information, we are at risk... and there has been little to no reaction to failures in managing large swaths of personal data STILL. There might be a bit of elevated language tones in any number of Congressional hearings, but nothing past it.

Also, this isn't a thing of "is going to happen anyways", as it has already happened.
I refuse to have that type of mindset, I will take every opportunity to make it harder on the criminals.
...criminals, nation states, terror cells, and the good old fashioned mob cartels.

I received an email regarding this issue recently. Just waiting to see how many of the approximately 7.6 million affected customers get together and file some kind of lawsuit, if it hasn't already happened.
And get a whole $9.26 in a settlement. These companies need to be held responsible and feel it financially not just a slap on the wrist.

Reactions: Yespage and AZ.
I have ATT as internet provider and DTV. I'm not worried. I have not received any notice. How bad was the BREACH?

Post on satelliteguys, if any one sees a sign up for lawsuit, which will take 2-3 years.

And the provider, service company, utility, etc... just give up the whole list. These people don't need to hack into accounts, they just need to hack into the server.
Just get a password manager. I use like, recommend, and use 1password. it does everything you need including 2 factor, passkey, and shared vaults (if you want to share a specific password with another person). Works great at auto-entering passwords on my browsers, phone, etc.

It also will tell you via its watchtower function if your password/email/etc at a specific site has been compromised and to change it.
Less than a cup of coffee a month at $2.99. I have complex passwords at every site. If you held a gun to my head, I could not tell you a single one of my passwords.

And get a whole $9.26 in a settlement. These companies need to be held responsible and feel it financially not just a slap on the wrist.
Naw, they'll give you a a couple years of ID protection from wherever. Never mind that your SS# doesn't evaporate after a couple of years.