I moved TV2 two days after install, Dish wants $100

ikjadoon

Original poster
May 23, 2010
Kentucky
Hi! I'm new and need some seemingly simple help. I looked at the thread of the guy who had TV2 working, but then it stopped working after he disconnected/reconnected. However, I don't completely understand how I can "un"-diplex the output. Let me explain fully.

So, my parents were coaxed (no pun intended) into getting Dish for the summer. But, they hooked up a TV that had to be moved (for a party they were throwing).

Long story short, my "TV2" got moved. TV1 is in the same spot and fully functioning.

Here is the setup.

[ame="http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/af293/asadjadoon/?action=view&current=IMG_6892.jpg"]Receiver hookups picture by asadjadoon - Photobucket[/ame]

So I actually have two satellites. So the two far left connections to the receiver can be thought of as "one". Now comes the red diplexer, which combines the INPUT of the satellite [the left cable on the diplexer] and the OUTPUT of the receiver (to TV2) [right cable on the diplexer].

Outside my house, I have something else. Is this also a diplexer? How many things need to be attached to this? I tried attaching some junk old TV to both open coaxial ports and tuned into channel 60 (as set on the modulator in the receiver) and nothing came up. Is there a third coaxial that needs to be connected here? My dad had already messed with it before I got there and he can't remember.

[ame="http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/af293/asadjadoon/?action=view&current=IMG_6886.jpg"]Diplexer thing outside picture by asadjadoon - Photobucket[/ame]

Satellite cable --------|this metal thing|---------- Receiver cable (presumably)

Now, here's my question. How do I hook up my "TV2" to this receiver? I could easily disconnect the "yellow" tag cable in the first picture (OUTPUT of receiver to TV2) to the TV, but obviously that's not how it is supposed to work.

I moved my TV upstairs and plugged it into the coaxial wall outlet. No luck. I tried attaching the wall outlet cables of the new room into both of those openings on the outside metal thing, no reception on air or cable 60/70-whatever-channel. I tried attaching a small TV to both of those connectors, nothing.

How do I "move" the output of the receiver to a new room?

Thanks,

~Ibrahim~

Yes running a line from tv2 on the reciver direct to the tv will undiplex it. If you want to use diplexer you shuld falow the line from the sat out side to the locatin that has the other diplexer. One side will say sat coming off the dis and other will go to the tv 2 location

The output of TV2 is a standard RF signal similar to what the cable company sends. You need to figure out what inputs you have, and what outputs you have.

Dish would have had to bring a single coax wire from the dish, to the receiver. For you to see TV2 on your TV in the other room, you will need a single coax connected to the output from the dish.

You mention a cable connection in your room. You need to find out where that goes to.

Here is how it typically goes.
You have a house with cable tv. That means you have coax jacks all over the house. Most are connected via splitters off of one line that comes from the cable company. Dish comes in and looks at what you have. If possible, they re-use one of the cable lines, say it was a home run. otherwise they fish a new coax line to the receiver location.

Then TV2 is plugged into the existing cable tv in that room that the dish receiver is. That will cause every cable tv jack in the house to have access to TV2. Though some may not work due to splitters cutting the power of the signal.

You need to figure out what your house had before the dish was installled. What dish used to install their sat line, and then how to get your room on a common run for coax that comes out of the TV2 port.

Easiest way to get it working again is call DISH and pay for a service call DISH isn't responsibe for you disconnecting a working installation. After you get it working label the wiring so you can understand the connections.

You were right!

I (stupidly) didn't follow the satellite's cable and simply assumed it was the one originating from the deck (where the Dish is located).

Here's what REALLY happened.

So, I have two Dish satellites. What the technician did, though, is he actually placed two LBNFs (I think that's what they're called) to the new, larger Dish. This new Dish has two of the little stick-out-and-come-back parts. Like the arm-thing. The old Dish has had its coaxial cables completely cut.

The new Dish was then connected to this "switch" (conveniently placed right NEXT to my old, now-dysfunctional Dish). The switch had three inputs for the satellites and one output, which WENT TO THE OTHER DIPLEXER!!! I FOUND IT! That other metal thing (picture 2) was just a coaxial connector, connecting two coaxial lines together. It was not a diplexer.

Note: my cable line does not "originate" from one cable, unfortunately. I have like 15 coax cables coming outside my house and each one corresponds individually to each room. A PITA to use; good call on labeling them: that'll be next weekend, lol.

Anyways, from the outside diplexer there were three cables: one to the receiver, the next to the Dish, and the last was the output of TV2!!!

That metal connector, then, was connected to the output of TV2 via the outside diplexer and then on the other side to TV2's old location.

I simply moved the coaxial cable from old TV2's location to the new location.

Rationale for not wanting to pay $100:

I was pretty sure this just needed a single switch of a cable. Until I realized I had a diplexer and figured out what it did. That got me pretty confused, so I came here. But in the end, this was again simply a switch of a cable. Unplugged one and the other one was right there, ready to be screwed in. I had already crimped on a coaxial connector (bought all the parts myself and installed it, too!).

It's like asking your ISP how to move your modem to another room and them charging you for it. I doubt anyone with half a technologically-inclined mind would take them up on that. You would probably ask a friend or look it up on the Internet, right?

It's not like I'm wanting help on how to adjust the satellite signal on the Dish to get better reception.....I just want to move my TV to another room.

I would have known (maybe) most of this if I had been there when the technician installed it as I love watching them do this stuff. I just didn't know how he had set up the diplexer (or even what one was).

I realize it was a working installation, but did I really "break" it? I thought this would be an allowable move without even needing to contact Dish. Am I right or wrong? Seriously, I don't know.

I could've bought a computer, too, and I could be playing my video games at the highest settings, but I'd also have to pay through the arse. But I researched, built my own, and saved $$$$. With this knowledge, I can work myself around most computer problems. I could've had a HDTV "expert" recommend me some nice HDTVs, but then I would had to pay him for his consultation. But, I spent months researching and saved that, too. With this knowledge, I know how to get the best calibrated picture from my HDTV. I could've paid an electrician to wire up my bare coaxial wires with some connectors, but I went online, paid about $25 worth of stuff (crimper, 15 connectors, weather-safe-glue-stuff), and have already put on 3 coaxial connectors with the help of a guide. With this knowledge....LOL.....I can put on more coaxial connectors?

By researching this issue, I now know how to move my TV2 signal to different rooms with about 10 seconds of work. No need to pay or wait for a technician.

I'm a DIY kind of guy. Is that so cruel?

~Ibrahim~

P.S. And I definitely missed the TC12 reference. Work order?

P.P.S. Love that song, HIFI, in your signature. :D

TC12 = Trouble call. It hurts the technicians especially subcontractors, if you call in for a trouble call they basically did the job for free and it winds up costing that technician lots of money.

Oh...wait...lol, so that was a joke, then. :)

This "job" would've actually been great on the tech's part as this was a simple cable switch. Got it.

Hope I haven't terribly offended anyone...I really do appreciate all the help you guys gave. :)

Thanks for the link! That's exactly like my install. I've already gotten it figured out, but good to know that it was done right. :D

~Ibrahim~

Sorry, but there are too many people messing with the equipment after techs install it... and it does substantially hurt their pay. Leave it alone. Let the professionals handle it. If the tech was smart, he would've advised you at installation not to move anything and be sure where you want each tv.

Techs on a trouble call can tell almost immediately if you tampered with the setup. This can be costly to you if a sub-contractor is the tech.

There are certain requirements on an installation that need to be in place for the tech to receive their full pay for the job. Like torque on the fittings that you undid several times. If the job is QC'd after you moved stuff around, the tech would most likely fail. Leave it alone. We're trying to feed our kids. Instead, get the tech's phone number... I give it out on every install. It's my livelyhood. Thanks.

All right, now maybe my title was too provocative...

Let's get some stipulations straight first:

1. I wanted to fix it myself. That's why I came to this subsection. Is this just a theoretical forum, then? People just talk about Dish installations, but never do anything? Or is this subsection specifically made for Dish-certified technicians? :confused:
  2. I was given no contact information whatsoever. I called Dish Network and they quoted me $99 to send a technician out.
If any technician/QC inspector/Dish Network employee comes to "look at the install", I will obviously tell them instantly of the switch I made. That's just common courtesy.

I'll call Dish and see if they can provide me with his number. I'll ask what he thinks of what I did, all right?

If any technician/QC inspector/Dish Network employee comes to "look at the install", I will obviously tell them instantly of the switch I made. That's just common courtesy.

I'll call Dish and see if they can provide me with his number. I'll ask what he thinks of what I did, all right?
Dish will never give out the technician's number. We do appreciate your honesty however when it comes to modifying the original install especially when it affects us subs so harshly.

Dish will never give out the technician's number. We do appreciate your honesty however when it comes to modifying the original install especially when it affects us subs so harshly.

Can't they give me the contracting company's, at the minimum? From there, I can call them and find out who did the install, etc.

No problem. While it may not seem so, I've fixed my fair helping of computers and it's always easiest when the "victim" is honest. :D

~Ibrahim~

It's not your fault, Ikjadoon. It's the way the sub-contracting system is set up. I would have done the same thing lol... last night I was frustrated with some techy like issues and I vented. YES... just be honest with the techs, that's all they ask. I had a woman yesterday that lied about moving stuff around and it made for a long day. Honestly, it's the smart people that we hope for when we knock on the door.

Magnum... my customers don't ever need to call Dish after I install... I give them my number. I don't know why a tech wouldn't... unless they do crappy work.

I give them my number. I don't know why a tech wouldn't.

When you have some old couple who can't keep there fingers off the input button of there HD TV insisting it needs to be on channel 3, and they call you about every two days wanting you to come fix there TV because they think sense they can't get it to work you installed it wrong when really they aren't smart enough to work it. You will quit giving out your number. When you have have some idiot who told you they only wanted one of there receivers installed, and that Dish was mailing them a box to return there second receiver then three months late they're calling you at crazy hours of the night wanting you to talk them through the installing of that supposed to be returned receiver that's missing hardware anyway you'll change your mind on giving out that number. Let them call the office, and they can deal with it. I only give my number out to people I know personally, and that's it!

I disagree. I have been giving out my number for years. Sure, there have been some customers that can't handle satellite... they get shoved off to a Dish employee. But I reach a most people by how I teach them. You just need to recognize how much babying they need. For example... I'll ask what channel they want tv2 to be on, instead of just going with 60 or 73. The little things help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Sidebar