I must have been out of the loop for too long...

Kyzrsoce

Original poster
Apr 14, 2022
Colorado
Hey y'all. I am a retired comm tech. Did 21 years in USAF. and comm prior to and following my Air Force career...
I had a VIP222K installed that was serving Living Room, and Master Bedroom. I bought a Hopper 3, and Joey 2 and Solo Hub for the same just want to add the DVR option. Hooked it up and cannot acquire any signal? It will not get past the test installation. So I cant check switch or anything on sat signal strength, etc... So I figure I may need a new dish? or new LNB? Not sure what I have installed but it has been there for six years and has run perfect? I checked and re-checked my cables several times. It is hooked up correctly. I attached a pic in word doc of my hook up. Any help is appreciated? TIA

Attachments

• Dish hookup.docx
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
The diagram you posted is correct, except that the technology's used for the Hopper 3 and ViP systems is different. Right now you most likely have a Dish Pro Plus LNBF (The "eyes" part of the satellite dish), you can tell if it has DPPro or DPP markings anywhere on the enclosure/labels or on the 222k itself. This model/tech can provide 2 tuners per coax run only, and the H3 has 16 tuners. To use the H3 you are going to need a DPH or Dish Pro Hybrid LNBF like this if you are on a Eastern market (72/61.5) or this if you are on the older Western market (110/119/129). As long as you have a 1000.2 model satellite Dish these should be a a fit in replacement to your existing dish, only screwdriver required. If the links don't work then you can just shop for a DPH LNBF EA or WA depending on your market, if its the original model then it fits the factory yoke of the 1K.2, but for the slim model you will also need a slim yoke (the ones I posted above are slim and include said yoke).

To make sure the dish you have is indeed a 1000.2, you can plug your 222k back in and check the system info screen (Menu > 6 > 1 > 3), you should see DPP 1K.2 or something similar in the box with the "Device:" label.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Or alternatively he could buy a DPH42 switch and plug the cables from his DPP LNBF into that.
I mean sure, but only if the OP is looking to do more than one Hopper or adding a extra Wally/ViP receiver later into the mix. I'm all about future planing and scalability but if you don't see yourself adding anything more than Joey's in the future then why spend more and add more points of failure.

Reactions: charlesrshell
...if you don't see yourself adding anything more than Joey's in the future then why spend more and add more points of failure.
I can think of two reasons.
  1. The OP doesn't want to fiddle with a new LNB and the associated yoke issues, depending upon which dish he has. For example, it could be a 1000.4. I doubt it's the slim model given his DPP equipment.
  2. The OP does indeed want to preserve the option of adding 2 Hopper 3's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts