Wireless Access Point Client W

cableview

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2022
Pennsylvania, US
Still new to some of the different Dish hardware. I've only done installations using this in Access Point mode. What is the client mode for and how can it be used?

Check out page 2 of this. Seems like you can (or could, never heard of an access point working that way) use a AP as a client device to another AP, essentially creating a wireless bridge for Wired Joeys to get MoCa access. I only have one AP but if anybody has two at hand it would be an interesting experiment.

Check out page 2 of this. Seems like you can (or could, never heard of an access point working that way) use a AP as a client device to another AP, essentially creating a wireless bridge for Wired Joeys to get MoCa access. I only have one AP but if anybody has two at hand it would be an interesting experiment.
I've always wanted to try that, myself

Reactions: charlesrshell

I've always wanted to try that, myself
That's what I was thinking it was, just not sure how to get it to connect to the other AP. I might give it a try today because it would be useful. Do you think there's a way to chain access points aswell? E.g. AP to AP to Wifijoey for longer range?

That's what I was thinking it was, just not sure how to get it to connect to the other AP. I might give it a try today because it would be useful. Do you think there's a way to chain access points aswell? E.g. AP to AP to Wifijoey for longer range?
I think the obvious way to connect them would be with CAT5. Although I assume they could be connected wirelessly and if that's the case, I wonder how that would work for connecting more than three wireless Joey's, which requires two access points, and using them as the type of mesh setup instead of two standalone access points.

I am semi-friendly with somebody at dish that works in engineering and I think later today I'll contact him on zinc and ask him hypothetically how that works

That's what I was thinking it was, just not sure how to get it to connect to the other AP.
If I were to guess it would be a standard WPS button pairing (pressing the wps botton on both within two minutes).
Do you think there's a way to chain access points aswell? E.g. AP to AP to Wifijoey for longer range?
Don’t think so. Unless the AP’s still transmit WiFi signal while in client mode (essentially converting it into a wireless repeater) you are probably limited to wired Ethernet clients. Now you could theoretically add a third AP connected to the client AP’s Ethernet and achieve that but that is starting to get into the ridiculous realm (not to mention the latency introduced from the two wireless links in the chain).

Yeah and I can guarantee that Dish won't pay me back if I decided to use 3 access points on a job. Might try it anyways just to see what happens as I'm curious now. Thinking normal AP wireless to AP on Client ethernet to normal AP should be able to connect, but it's a stretch.

Yeah and I can guarantee that Dish won't pay me back if I decided to use 3 access points on a job. Might try it anyways just to see what happens as I'm curious now. Thinking normal AP wireless to AP on Client ethernet to normal AP should be able to connect, but it's a stretch.
I got an answer from my guy at Dish. There is no way to connect 2 WAPS together in any capacity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)