I must Vent!!

cdoss

Original poster
May 15, 2005
OK I live in th KC area and get all the local chanels in HD with OTA except FOX4. Their web site say they are currently broadcasting HD at only half power and plan to turn it up to full power in mid 2005. Well its mid 2005 and I still have no FoxHD. I have already missed American Idol and House and am now missing Nascar. I can't even watch the races in SD knowing that the only reason I'm not watchign it in HD is that someone hasn't flipped a switch yet. Ok I feel better, I had to vent thanks for listening. Any one else having this problem any where else? And can someone tell me why they only transmit at low power?

Thanks!

cdoss said:
OK I live in th KC area and get all the local chanels in HD with OTA except FOX4. Their web site say they are currently broadcasting HD at only half power and plan to turn it up to full power in mid 2005. Well its mid 2005 and I still have no FoxHD. I have already missed American Idol and House and am now missing Nascar. I can't even watch the races in SD knowing that the only reason I'm not watchign it in HD is that someone hasn't flipped a switch yet. Ok I feel better, I had to vent thanks for listening. Any one else having this problem any where else? And can someone tell me why they only transmit at low power?

Thanks!
ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in the TOP 100 DMAs are required to be at full power by 1 July 2005...so it won't be too much longer for your local Fox. Of course, I would label your local FOX as "Cheese Dicks" for waiting to the last minute to comply. It's actually a shame for a city the size of KC - they were underserving the masses.

Same here, dont feel bad. Ours have been low power for 2 years (some have). CBS was the only one to go full power right away. Savannah DMA btw.

I hate to throw water on your fire, but going from 1/2 power to full power only gains 3db in signal strength. If you can't get it now, you won't get it when it's full strength. Try a better antenna with more gain.

If they are not in HD yet, have you tried contacting the station engineer? Most of them love to hear from the public and are usually quite eager to communicate with you.

I have the DB8 antenna from antennasdirect it has a 15.8db, I live a little ways out of town but I get all the rest of the local HD stuff even Lawrence PBS which is about 30 miles farther than the FOX tower with a 95% signal strength. I have seen posts on several websites about people that live in downtown KC less than 10 miles from FOX4 and not able to get reception. I sent an email with no reply but I may try calling. I'm sorry to hear I'm not the only one having this problem. By the time I finally get all the HD stuff via OTA D* may have things in order so I can get the lite HD version via the dish. Either way i'm patiently wating for that searching for signal meassge to disapear on channel 4.1.

How far are you from the station? You may be overpowering your tuner. If you get a95% on your farthest station you could be well over the threshhold. The DB8 is a very good long range antenna.

I'm 27.3 miles from the Fox tower all the towers are roughly around that distance, most are closer. And according to antenna web everything is between 283 and 305 degrees so its within the 20 degree arc that i'm suppose to get with this antenna. If people in downtown KC aren't getting WDAF via OTA and I can't get it with the DB8 from 28 miles than I think they have a set of rabbit ears hanging off their tower and thats what they are using to transmit HD.

cdoss said:
July 1st has coem and gone and Fox still isn't in HD. Any thoughts on why?
FCC isn't mandating HD. They've told all the stations to broadcast in Digital. Digital does not equate to HD.

I'm only able to get about 60% out of the signal with a little change in the ANT direction, I'm afraid this won't hold a signal in the rain. Anyone else in KC area having any luck with FOX4 signal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts