I need help with my 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bchristex

Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Hello
I am new to DISH and switched from DTV for more HD (new tv). After the install today I am confused. Having Tivo with DTV I had two lines coming in to the reciever and could watch one and record on the other. After the install I noticed the installer had hooked up only one line from the dish 1000 ? and told me the switch he istalled split the signal and made it possible to have two signals going to the vip 622. I cannot figure out how to switch tuners when I am recording so I can watch the other one. I have one set of component video cables going to my tv from tv1. Do I need to run another set of rca cables from the tv2 out or what > I am only using this tuner on one tv. I was assured that this reciever would allow me the same features I am used to from DTV Tivo such as name based recordings, pausing two shows at once and swithcing between them and recording one channel and watching another. I do not have an OTA antana hooked up and dont plan to. Please help. Thanks in advance.

I am new to using a 622 full time also.

You are probably in dual mode. Hit the PIP button and if the small picture in picture screen does not come up you must be in dual mode. To put the 622 in single mode, for use on one TV, you have to open the door on the right front side of the receiver by pushing where it says push and then letting it open. Once the door is open push the mode button once and it should put the receiver in single mode. If so, you can hit the cancel button on the remote and it will say single mode on the top left of the tv screen right under the date and time. If it is in dual mode it will say dual mode, I believe.

Once you have it in single mode you can bring up the picture in picture screen by hitting the PIP button and can then switch tuners by hitting the swap button.

In single mode you can record one program while watching another.

You only need one line from the Dish 1000 if:
a) You have a DPP44 switch and
b) You use a separator at the receiver end and have two inputs connected to the 622
I think you only have on sat input hooked up which is why you only have tuner 1 currently.

You only need one line from the Dish 1000 if:
a) You have a DPP44 switch and
b) You use a separator at the receiver end and have two inputs connected to the 622
I think you only have on sat input hooked up which is why you only have tuner 1 currently.

Wrong. You do not need a DPP44 to only run 1 line. All you need is a DPP twin with the 3rd DP dual hooked straight in to that. You can then use DPP Separators with no problem. Most likely the OP is in dual mode as previously stated.

OP - Look at the sat. cable connections on the back. Is there one cable coming to the unit (from either a switch or directly from the dish) that goes into a small metal box, and then from there "splits" to the 2 sat. inputs? If so it is correctly connected to feed both tuners via that "separator" as others mentioned.

I'm sure you're ultimately going to love the 622! For TiVo owners it takes a bit of time to learn the differences, but once you're accustomed to the 622 I'll bet you'll find it to be the superior unit.

Welcome, BTW...!

PS - Don't dismiss the OTA capability! If you have HD locals it really pays to add the OTA antenna. That allows you to take advantage of the third tuner (allows recording 3 shows at once!) and in many cases you'll find the picture quality of an OTA signal to be superior to what you can receive (currently) via the satellites...

pausing two shows at once and swithcing between them and recording one channel and watching another
I believe single mode will let you do whatever dual mode does when it comes to Watching TV and Recording TV, but I do not use Single Mode and can not really comment on its functions.

In any case, your 622 will record 2 satellite shows at once, and if you were set up to receive OTA Digitial Television, you could record a 3rd show at the same time. All of this while TV1 Output and TV2 Output were each watching the same or a different pre-recorded program.

However, I don't know if in Single Mode you can pause 2 live shows at once and switch back and forth. Maybe someone has that answer. I know sometimes while pausing Live TV in Dual Mode, the pause releases for some reason after a short while - maybe the kids in the next room.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts