I need help with this setup!!!Newbie

theodore_miller

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I appreciate anyone who can help. I have been going nuts for the past weeks about my new setup. I will be setting this up next week

I just purchased a Samsung DLP 50" HDTV. I already have a JVC RX-888 5.1 Receiver. I have (for now) a dish PVR( non HD) with digital output and I think component out. I have a DVD player with Component, digital and s video. I have a nice Infinity speaker setup with power sub.

I cannot upgrade to HDTV thru dish until the new unit comes out. I guess I already did the "dish up" this year. I could get them to send me the current HDTV if I yell enought but no PVR ( I need PVR) They said I shoud wait for the new unit in Feb cause it will have more HDTV or something???. So I will.

The main issue:

In the meantime, I just noticed that my receiver does not have component hookups. Will I have a horrible picuture now ( before Dish HDTV) with just the digital signal using S-video and when I get the HDTV will only having S-video on the receiver create poor viewing? I would probably just use an inside HDTV Antenna for locals for now. Can I get the local HD viewing using antenna on surround thru the receiver?

What is the good, bad and ugly? Do you suggest I buy a new receiver with component hookups?

None of the E* Sd receivers have component out and yes your picture will not be the best, but until you get one the new mpeg4 receivers you will have to deal with the S-video input. Your SD receiver will not get your local OTA HD but if your HDTV has a tuner(not familiar with your Samsung model) you can use it. Otherwise you will have to wait and swap your receiver for one of the new ones for HD. It would probably make your life much simpler having Component switching capability's on your Audio Receiver...

Oh man thanks for helping. So for now you say use the tuner in the tv for viewing. So shoud I just hook up a HD antenna and push the sound and video out to my A/V receiver? I will go ahead and get a receiver with Component hookups.

theodore_miller said:
Oh man thanks for helping. So for now you say use the tuner in the tv for viewing. So shoud I just hook up a HD antenna and push the sound and video out to my A/V receiver? I will go ahead and get a receiver with Component hookups.

Dont go cheap on the reciever Get the Denon or the Onkyo the good ones from both also have HDMI switching!

You will need a HD OTA tuner to output these siginals to the reciever. Does you TV have one? If not switch to D*.:D