I need some advice.. DishN isn't looking so hot right now...

mburgess said:
there is one tree... a tall tree yes but it's like 40 yards aways... I thought the elevation would be higher then that....
I don't know where you are, and so don't know the angles for your location, but here in Colorado, 120' away means it would have to be 100' high to have me drag out the protractor.

Here's some angle calculators for you. The first one knows about Dish 500, the second one has a magnetic declination map on the page.
http://www3.telus.net/rampage/skew.htm
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennasatelazposcalc.html

A service level manager?

is suppsoed to come out today between 8-12.. I contacted the company doing the install and they can't get in touch with a dispatcher and they have no idea who is coming to my house...

will update...

ShadowEKU said:
its almost 1300 here... wonder how it went or is going?

no show....

I contacted that company doing the install and they said that the installer was backed up and maybe at lunch???

ooooooooooooook...

still nothing yet... getting ready to call again..

WOW!

Called for the installer again and they told me they are trying to find someone to come out>?????????

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im very seriously thinking of just going with direct tv..

Well I finally got an installer out here... wasnt a manager..she walked around with a compass and said there is no line of sight... dish sucks

mburgess said:
the price difference... but I can afford a little extra to not have to deal with this headache..
If their install was this frustrating just imagine how bad the service might have been. Get a Directv system with a TiVo you will be happy!!!!! :)

boba said:
If their install was this frustrating just imagine how bad the service might have been. Get a Directv system with a TiVo you will be happy!!!!! :)

DONE! installer will be here WED.. will update then

My only concern is that the installer will do the same thing. If there is only 1 tree there has to be a way to get line of sight... even witha long rg6 run... This really bothers me for some reason.

I really hope you dont get totally screwed and the same installation company send the same installers out. They used to do that I dont know if they do now.

Let us know what direct says.

Well the way the installer was talking she could only get line of sight on 2 of the 3 sats yesterday so she wouldnt install it

I think that's crap. I haven't looked to see whether you're getting a 121 or a 105 SD, but it's pretty dang unusual to be able to catch 2 of the 3 - or for that matter 1 of 2 when talking about the core birds at 110 & 119. It DOES happen, but it's rare, and you can NOT tell 2 of 3 or 1 of 2 without a very careful check - walking around the yard looking at the sky without instruments will NOT do it.

Well the dtv installer is there now my wife said.. he is installing my sat dish now and running extra cable for free....

1 thing I forgot to mention is that the dish network installer told me they could put the dish on the roof or side of the house but I would need permission from my landlord. I show'ed the permission slip signed by my landlord for dishnetwork to install the sat. and she told me it must be specific.. like (dish network has permission to install the sat on the side of the house.. or on the roof overhang etc..)
I didn't think it was possible, or allowed to install superdish on the house... ??

Anyway... all I know is Dish Network needs to keep a better check on the so called "professional installers" that they contract out..

mburgess said:
Well the dtv installer is there now my wife said.. he is installing my sat dish now and running extra cable for free....

1 thing I forgot to mention is that the dish network installer told me they could put the dish on the roof or side of the house but I would need permission from my landlord. I show'ed the permission slip signed by my landlord for dishnetwork to install the sat. and she told me it must be specific.. like (dish network has permission to install the sat on the side of the house.. or on the roof overhang etc..)
I didn't think it was possible, or allowed to install superdish on the house... ??

Anyway... all I know is Dish Network needs to keep a better check on the so called "professional installers" that they contract out..

well you were fed some nice Bull$hit by some folks. if Directv can get signal then dish could get signal. they both point in the same direction and only vary by a very few degrees. A superdish can be installed on the side of a house with stabilizer arms (its quite interesting to see) and you have to have one hell of a sensitive compass to determine if you can hit one of 2 sats out there. I think you got 2 installers that didnt know what they were doing. And as for the permission slip.. my landlord wrote "Installation of dish, cables, and recievers" on mine and they had no problem. so basicly you were fed a line of crap. I just hope you like D*. (not meant sarcastic I jsut hope you like the sat in general because of what youve been though)

Well I thank you for your kind words...

I think I will like it.. I really wanted the locals with superdish though...
I guess I can put up an antenna.... got any suggestions?

Try going to www.antennaweb.org, and enter your address. It will list all the available digital and analog stations in your area, and the type of antenna necessary. All major antenna brands use the color-code on their models. Just match the code from antennaweb to the one on the antenna.

FYI, many people complain about the quality of Terk brand, so you may want to stick with the two majors, Winegard and Channel Master.

BTW, DirecTV is supposed to be adding a shipload of locals this year due to new satellite bandwidth. Have you checked their website and/or called their 800 number to ask if yours is on the list?

Well dtv is looking good right now...

Got my 2 system setup and a tivo.. no complaints yet..

the installer left extra cable for me..... He changed one of my jacks to accommodate the dual tuner and phone line.. he didn't install my phone wires properly but thats no biggie...

Man that's a 180 in service for you between the two companies. I'm slowly gaining more respect for D* but since my E* installation was redone so well, I'm staying with Dish for now.

Need Help/Suggestions for OTA Install

New 921 install...smooth...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)