Need Help/Suggestions for OTA Install

JaxJeff

Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Good afternoon! I am looking for some advice on installing an OTA. Currently, I have a Dish 500/3 room system with a 811 in the family room and a 522 in one of the bedrooms. I am wanting to install an OTA so I can receive my locals in HD. I've never done this before and was wondering if anyone can suggest what supplies/tools will I need and how would I hook it up? I appreciate your help in advance.

Jeff

You will need some sort of OTA (Over The Air) antenna to receive your local Digital channels. What type of antenna you will need will depend on your location, the location of the broadcast towers, the presence or absence of interfering terrain or buildings between your location and the towers, etc.

You may be able to use a small, indoor antenna or you may require a large, outdoor antenna to receive an acceptable signal. The small, indoor antennas can be set up by virtually anyone, whereas a large, outdoor antenna may require the skill of a professional installer.

I would suggest visiting the Antennaweb.org website as your first step to determining what your needs will be.

Thanks for your reply. Went to the website you mentioned and looks like I will need a "small, multi-directional antenna."

DTV Antenna
Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Live
Date Compass
Orientation Miles
From Frequency
Assignment
* yellow - uhf WTEV-DT 47.1 CBS JACKSONVILLE FL 101° 15.2 19
* yellow - vhf WTLV-DT 12.1 NBC JACKSONVILLE FL 101° 15.9 13
* yellow - uhf WJXT-DT 4.1 IND JACKSONVILLE FL 101° 15.9 42
* yellow - vhf WJXX-DT 25.1 ABC ORANGE PARK FL 101° 15.9 10
* yellow - uhf WJCT-DT 7.1 PBS JACKSONVILLE FL 100° 14.9 38
* yellow - uhf WJWB-DT 17.1 WB JACKSONVILLE FL 101° 15.3 34
* yellow - uhf WAWS-DT 30.1 FOX JACKSONVILLE FL 100° 14.9 32

If that means indoor antenna, then the easiest thing to do is get one for each receiver.

Otherwise, you run extra cable feeds to the receivers, or diplex the OTA onto the satellite feeds.

Looks like the indoor antenna will do for your situation. You should be able to pick one up at your local CircuitCity/BestBuy/RadioShack/WallMart.

Just connect the antenna to the 8VSB TV Antenna/Cable In (see the back panel diagram on pg 11 of your manual if you can't find it) connector on the back of your 811.

edit
Forgot to mention. Look for a basic VHF/UHF antenna. You should be able to pick one up for $10-$30.

I use an indoor STA for the OTA locals in HD. Like Kimmel said it seems like an indoor antenna should work for you. I would reccomend the Zenith Silver Sensor indoor STA, I use it on my 811 and it works great.

If you don't mind internet shopping you can get this antenna a lot cheaper on the internet than in any retail store. So before spending a lot of money on those expensive antennas I would give this antenna a try and if it doesn't work out you can always return it.

Also the Zenith STA is for UHF.

I use a Jensen 45 db amp VHF/UHF indoor antenna that I bought at Best Buy for about $50. I am about 23 - 25 miles from my local towers outside Cleveland and get my OTA digital channels quite reliably. Cleveland has two VHF digital stations, one of them broadcasts on channel 2. Without reorienting my antenna, I can usually get a channel from Toledo, about 70 miles away. I actually have the antenna located in my garage attic and use about 35 feet of RG-6.

Got the antenna...

I picked up a regular UHF/VHF antenna from Wal-Mart today. Hooked it up and boy did the fun begin. I moved it all over the place in every direction trying to get the strongest possible signal for the locals. Most I could come up with on any given channel was 85% tops, but that wasn't often and it varied a lot!

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to try an amplified antenna? I don't want to damage my system. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again for all the replies. :)

The RS 15-1880 antenna that I mentioned is an amplified antenna and therefore suggested it. Give it a try. I found it to be the best among the indoor antennas, in my situation...

What is labeled "Signal Strength" is not actually a measurement of signal strength but a measurement of signal quality. Signal strength is a part of that measurement but other factors also come into it. Switching to an amplified antenna will increase signal strength but may not increase the "Signal Strength" reading. The only way to find out is to try it.

The big question is does the antenna you have now give you an adequate signal. It's not so much "how high is my highest signal" as much as "how low is my lowest signal". As long as the low doesn't drop below the usable range you are in good shape.

Adjust you antenna so the channel with the lowest "Signal Strength" is at it's highest. Does the channel stay locked? Watch that channel for a while. How are the sound and picture? With a digital TV channel it is extremely obvious when the "Signal Strength" drops below the minimum.

Welcome to the world of HDTV. :D

Kimmel, thanks for your post. I now understand a little better after your latest post. I tried the amplified antenna and it was pretty much the same--not too much a difference. It looks as though I'm going to have to do an outdoor antenna mount. How close should I place this to the Dish? Thanks again!

these any good ?

I need some advice.. DishN isn't looking so hot right now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)