I now hate Comcast

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
I have posted two threads here how happy I was with them, based on both price and service, and I had high hope for them when they announced the Roku deal back in April of last year that they would be putting a app up that would allow you to access the channels you subscribe to without a STB and there would not be a box charge.

Well it looks like things have changed-
After the beta ends, users will be able to make Roku devices their primary set-top and will be credited back $2.50 a month for doing so. Any additional connections in the home, via Roku or through, say, a CableCard-equipped TiVo device, will be charged at the $9.95 “additional outlet” rate.

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/comcast-clarifies-pricing-strategy-for-xfinity-tv-app-roku

So they wish to charge me the same price as if I rented a box from them, I could almost see a slight charge maybe $2.50 a month, but basically $10 a month, that would add $30 a month to my bill for those rooms (2 kids rooms, our bedroom) that do not have cable boxes in them ( we use TV Everywhere apps plus Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc in those rooms).

So with that I have decided to drop TV service with them, I will keep broadband with them since after many delays we are getting upgraded to the 1 gig service next month.

Since we will not have to worry about data caps we will give Vue a try, I find it the best choice since you can use it on five devices at the same time, all without extra fees.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I stuck to my promise, now upgraded to 1g and dropped Cable TV.

While I find my bundled pricing to be quite good compared to Sat. TV all the extra fees ( box fees, locals fee, sports fee ) that Comcast ( and everyone else ) charges pushed me over my limit as far as how much I will pay for TV programming.

Now we have Playstation Vue, we can run five devices all at the same time without box fees, no surcharge on locals and sports and what surprised me a better picture.

For anyone that has been at AVS and Comcast forums have read that Comcast is now knocking the picture down from 1080 to 720 on all their channels which looks terrible and then the stb brings it back to 1080i/P which looks worse, the 720P from Vue looks so much better, don't know why but it does.

Yeah, I don't understand what they are thinking with this. Why wouldn't I just go to DTV NOW, Sling TV, or PS Vue if I have to pay $7.50/mo/outlet? The whole point of owning one's own equipment is to get away from constant fees.

What's the frame rate like on PS Vue or Roku? If you're watching a basketball game, does it look like a basketball game or does it look like a movie of a basketball game?

Yeah, I don't understand what they are thinking with this.
They are betting that shoppers are only comparing programming package prices and not delving into the morass that is fees for this, that, local channels and RSNS.

Fortunately for us, we know all about the new fee-laden schemes that have silently replaced the bottom line pricing that cable was just sure would leave DBS out in the cold.

I guess what really throws me on the $7.50 for Roku is that they sell additional outlet DHA for $3.99 in most markets.

Price went up, they are $5.99 here a month

The whole point of owning one's own equipment is to get away from constant fees.

I have never understood buying your own equipment when you can only use it with one service and still pay fees, Dish Network for example, you can buy your own box but you still have to pay monthly lease fees and if you cancel Dish you are stuck with a box that does not work.

With my Rokus, if I cancel Vue it will still work with Sling ( and soon DirecTV Now, Hulu live, you tube live ) plus all the other services Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, etc.

What's the frame rate like on PS Vue or Roku? If you're watching a basketball game, does it look like a basketball game or does it look like a movie of a basketball game?

60 frames per second and a high bit rate and it looks so much better then what Comcast is putting out now.

For a long time Comcast's picture quality was just as good as DirecTV but this down converting and a low bite rate just looks awful, I tried out Vue before I canceled Comcast to do a test between the services and was amazed at the difference.

I have never understood buying your own equipment when you can only use it with one service and still pay fees, Dish Network for example, you can buy your own box but you still have to pay monthly lease fees
The problem is that you're calling it a "lease fee" when it isn't a lease fee. As it is becoming again with cable, it is an outlet fee for programming.

Buying your own equipment with DISH is really just buying your way out of a 24 month commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)