I now recieve channel 12 NBC in Phoenix AZ! Here's how I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapgod

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Glendale, AZ
I want to say upfront that I am no sattelite/cable guru, just a computer tech.
I own the DSR550 with new VOOM software, I am from Phoenix AZ. When I first recieved my VOOM on July 3rd everything went well except for one thing, I did not recieve NBC channel 12. The tech said it was a new software/box problem and preceeded to replace the box. It still didn't work. I called VOOM and they new exactly what I was talking about because their had been many complaints in the Phoenix area. They dispatched another installer to replace the box and the new antenna. It still didn't work. I called VOOM to see if there were any other options, they said that they dont guarantee OTA channels. Great. At 97 percent signal strength, and the fact that NBC studios is only 2 miles away from me, I just couldn't understand why.

Anyway, screwing around, I went into system settings, installer menu, installation wizard, scan local channels, and noticed on RF36 and RF37 they both had channel 12-1 (NBC). I redid the OTA aim and it still pulled in both RF channels with 12-1 (NBC). I thought to myself that their has to be a conflict. So i redid the OTA aim, once it landed on RF36 and found 12-1 (NBC) I stopped the scan immediately. I went to channel 12 and I was able to recieve the channel!!!

The unit then froze, and on subsequent reboots it was still freezing. I turned it off for an hour and then booted it up. All is good and I recieve NBC. I guess the reciever had to re-map or load software or something.

Long story short... I redid the OTA aim, once it hit the first instance of NBC i stopped the aim, rebooted, all is well.

Does this make sense?
Thanks for listening :)

Moderator Note: Copied thread to the Phoenix Thread

Yes, this all makes sense. You have the newest firmware, since your installation was recent. But it boils down to aiming the OTA correctly, which your installer did not do--but you did.

The 'old-timers' around here still have version 5.68, which does not include the OTA scanning feature, so this is good info for us if we ever actually get the new version. The freezing/unfreezing of the STB is an unrelated problem, addressed in a sticky.

If you stopped the autoscan at NBC, do you still have the other local channels?

zapgod said:
I want to say upfront that I am no sattelite/cable guru, just a computer tech.
I own the DSR550 with new VOOM software, I am from Phoenix AZ. When I first recieved my VOOM on July 3rd everything went well except for one thing, I did not recieve NBC channel 12. The tech said it was a new software/box problem and preceeded to replace the box. It still didn't work. I called VOOM and they new exactly what I was talking about because their had been many complaints in the Phoenix area. They dispatched another installer to replace the box and the new antenna. It still didn't work. I called VOOM to see if there were any other options, they said that they dont guarantee OTA channels. Great. At 97 percent signal strength, and the fact that NBC studios is only 2 miles away from me, I just couldn't understand why.

Anyway, screwing around, I went into system settings, installer menu, installation wizard, scan local channels, and noticed on RF36 and RF37 they both had channel 12-1 (NBC). I redid the OTA aim and it still pulled in both RF channels with 12-1 (NBC). I thought to myself that their has to be a conflict. So i redid the OTA aim, once it landed on RF36 and found 12-1 (NBC) I stopped the scan immediately. I went to channel 12 and I was able to recieve the channel!!!

The unit then froze, and on subsequent reboots it was still freezing. I turned it off for an hour and then booted it up. All is good and I recieve NBC. I guess the reciever had to re-map or load software or something.

Long story short... I redid the OTA aim, once it hit the first instance of NBC i stopped the aim, rebooted, all is well.

Does this make sense?
Thanks for listening :)

Zapgod,

Welcome; this is good investigative work. I would pass the information to VOOM because it may help them determine why two RF channels are picking up the same signal. Please send me an email with your zipcode and this information and I would send it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts