Phoenix users - do you get Channel 12 OTA?

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I got installed today and I'm picking up a bunch of channels OTA that are just blank. Unfortunately one of them is 12-1 (the local NBC affiliate). Any tricks to get this channel to come in? It seems that the tuner picks the channel up twice (2-1 & 12-1) and I can't tune in either.

My TV's built in tuner wouldn't pick up 12-1 in the auto-scans either but if I entered 12-1 it will come right up.

Now I don't have that option...

Any tricks to get a problematic channel to come in?

Shawn

When I first got voom 12-1 wouldn't come in either, I tried rerscanning all to no avail. I have my own antenna, a good one and never had the problem with D* or E*.
I called Voom they said would send a guy out, etc. That night my receiver took an update, I rescanned and it has been fine since.
I am around Central and Camelback.
I know this doesn't fix your problem but this is what happened to me.

Shawn,
I just checked my setup and I'm getting all 11 local digitals just fine.
Do you happen to know what version of software you have in your Voom receiver? (press Help, Info, Enter on the remote.) I remember older versions of software had a channel scan issue and it would mess up our 12.1 (it would detect it on both rf 36 & 37). Channel scans now skip over rf 37.
As for 2.1 - that is actually KNAZ-DT NBC Flagstaff. It's part of the channel map in the receiver, since it is included in the Phoenix DMA (there are also a couple of Prescott channels in that list too.)
Did the installer use your existing antenna, or are you using the one that comes with Voom?

I'll try a re-scan. We scanned the channels before the reciever updated. Maybe it'll work for me too.

I'll do a search but where can I check my firmware vesion? Voom forced an update after the activation so I hope it's current :).

Shawn

RPacion said:
Shawn,
I just checked my setup and I'm getting all 11 local digitals just fine.
Do you happen to know what version of software you have in your Voom receiver? (press Help, Info, Enter on the remote.) I remember older versions of software had a channel scan issue and it would mess up our 12.1 (it would detect it on both rf 36 & 37). Channel scans now skip over rf 37.
As for 2.1 - that is actually KNAZ-DT NBC Flagstaff. It's part of the channel map in the receiver, since it is included in the Phoenix DMA (there are also a couple of Prescott channels in that list too.)
Did the installer use your existing antenna, or are you using the one that comes with Voom?
That sounds like EXACTLY the issue I'm having. Hopefully re-scanning will fix it up. 11 channels sounds about right. It saw 13 but 2 + channel 12 don't work :).

The installer installed the Winegard Sensar POS but it didn't work any better connected than it did dis-connected. We ended up using the $24.99 Radio Shack OTA antenna that I had put up before the install:

15-2160.jpg

This antenna rocks for cheap :).

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
I'll do a search but where can I check my firmware vesion? Voom forced an update after the activation so I hope it's current :).
The easiest way to check the software version is to press "Help" then "Info" on the remote. Three lines of info appear. The third line "Nep ***" shows the the software version. The latest is 737. If you press "Enter" from this screen, it takes you to the "System Status" screens (4 of them), and you can page through them. Since an update was forced, I'm sure that you have v 7.37. If you did your local channel scan before the update, then I would recommend doing it again.
Keep us posted.
Ray

That Radio Shack antenna should work just fine for your location. Don't be surprised if you pick up a few Tucson channels as well (KTTU 18.1 UPN and KUAT 6.1-6.5 PBS)

Re-scanning worked.

Ok, re-scanned and now I see 15 local channels. Channel 12 works now too! :cool:

The Software version is indeed 737.

Here's what shows up in the listings:

2-1 KNAZD1 (no signal)
3-1 KTVKD1
5-1 KPHOD1
7-1 KAZTD1 (no signal)
8-1 KAETD1
8-2 KAETD2
8-3 KBAQ - KAET slideshow I guess :)
9-1 KCFGD1 (no signal)
10-1 KSAZD1
10-2 KSAZD2
12-1 KPNXD1
13-1 KFPHD1 (no signal, looks to be spanish)
15-1 KNXVD1
15-2 KNXVD2
21-1 KPAZD1
33-1 KTVWD1
33-2 KFPH
45-1 KUTPD1
45-2 KUTP DT
51-1 KPPXD1
61-1 KASWD1

15-1 / 15-2 are showing no signal at the moment but channel 15 has been really flakey lately.

I'm looking forward to canceling Qwest TV in the morning :p

Shawn

Cool. Looks like your getting all of the locals (11 if you don't count the sub-channels.)
Channels 7, 9 & 13 are from Prescott. They are also part of the Phoenix DMA that is mapped into the receiver.

Have fun Voomin'! Let us know what you think. Let's hope rain fade doesn't kick in.

Ray

Shawn,

Do this to get NBC with your Voom OTA antennae:

In the "Installation Wizard" menu within the Voom Setup screen choose
"3. Aim Off-Air Antennae". From there type in 36 for the RF number and give the receiver a couple of seconds to find the station. You should see the bar reach at least 80 to lock into the station. Once that's done, then go back and rescan for local channels. The Voom receiver with then find Channel 12.1 at RF 36.

I told my Voom installer how to do this work around, because I had read about it on the internet. Perhaps you had a different guy?

Have fun with Voom!

Jon

I love it now that I got it working right. Heaven forbid the woman can't watch Medium :).

I periodicly checked the signal strength during the rain and I never saw it go under 94. The rain came in from the west so the signal was probably ducking under the thunderbumpers.

I'll keep an eye on it. I justy know I'm gonna step up to VaVaVoom before long - lol.

One other thing - The 480i out to the low def sets around the house look really nice too. I figured out how to letterbox the HD video so everything looks good.

Shawn

Hi Everyone,
I'm picking up my first HDTV this weekend and plan on ordering the VOOM $1.00 install promotion (reading all the VOOM drama these last weeks has been interesting) with hopes I'll be enjoying VOOM for a long time. I currently have Dish and will keep that around a while for the DVR.
I'm in central Phoenix (Missouri /7th Street) and happy to hear you get good signals and like the service.
I'm curious as to who has done your installs. Is there just one company that does the local installs? Have you had good installation experiences? Any suggestions about installs?
I'm glad to have found this forum and this thread... I'll visit often.

I have the number of the guy who did my install if you'd like it. He might be able to help you steer the install his way :). I'm happy with his work.

Shawn

Shawn
Yes, please give me name/number of the installer you were pleased with.
How would I get VOOM to steer the install his way??
Bob

I'm looking high and low for my paperwork... come Monday it may be moot anyways - lol.

I'll see what I can find.

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts