i ordered ppv without phone connected

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

godzooky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
i am a newbie and i ordered my first ppv movie. i didn't have my phone connected, because i didn't know that i needed to, but i was able to watch the movie with no problems. why does directv say you need your phone connected?

There is a set amount that you can order from a unit before it stops letting you buy PPV. If you don't hook up to a phone line at some point it will stop letting you buy PPV.

The Way Directv Knows What PPV You Ordered Is By Phone Line. Your Receiver Calls Directv at Night So Directv Knows How To Bill You. So Until You Hook Up Your Receiver To A Phone Line All That PPV Is Free. Even If It's A Year From Now You Wont Be Billed Until Then. But Just Remember You Have Broken Your Agreement With Directv & You Are Stealing From Them.

The Way Directv Knows What PPV You Ordered Is By Phone Line. Your Receiver Calls Directv at Night So Directv Knows How To Bill You. So Until You Hook Up Your Receiver To A Phone Line All That PPV Is Free. Even If It's A Year From Now You Wont Be Billed Until Then. But Just Remember You Have Broken Your Agreement With Directv & You Are Stealing From Them.

Thats not right at all...When you order a pay per view movie, it is stored on your access card. When the phone line is connected, the information stored on the card is sent over the phone to DTV (PPV, sports purchases, etc) so they can bill you. If you don't have the phone connected, you can order the ppv movie, but it is still stored on the card. I believe you have a max of $100 worth of purchases that the card will store. After that, either the card won't let you order anymore or will lock up. And the only way to fix this situation is to plug in the phone and get charged for everything on it. Careful, if you order some movies and don't have the phone line connected, they are still stored, you ARE NOT getting the them for free.

I've had a lot of PPV problems with two Directv units.
In my conversations with Directv about the ongoing problem, they indicated the units are supposed to call Directv once a month with PPV information.
Mine weren't, and I'd have to call Directv and have them send down a signal to 'kickstart' them and have them call in before I could order.
A month later they were supposed to call in but hadn't and I'd have to call again before I could order.
It could be the phone line. I don't know. I gave up on using PPV. I've seen threads about the problem.
One of them is a Directv with TIVO and TIVO calls in every day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts